Best Oil filter Toyota 2GR-FKS 3.5L V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
What oil filters would do well? I think it's the same filter as the older 2GR-FE 3.5L V6? Purolator website shows 25608 part for both engines. I think the OEM is Toyota 04152-YZZA1 and Fram is a 9972. OEM doesnt have endcaps but the fancier purolators do? Any reason to avoid Fram in a cartridge filter?

Whichever's cheaper! I'm not a fan of Tearolator spin on filters, but the cartridge elements are probably okay since they don't seem to have the tearing issues. No reason to avoid Fram at all either!

I ran the Amsoil EA in my Highlander with that Engine before I traded it. It had end caps with a silicone sealing ring on the top instead of the Toyota one that has a thin silicone disc on-top of the media which I wasn't a fan of.

I'd run a Fram Ultra no problem if it's made (not sure), or the next step down.

Toyota Filters have horrible efficiency and I'm of the camp the better the efficiency the better. There are lots of Toyotas that run just fine on the OE filters though so you have to make that decision.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by FL-400S
What oil filters would do well? I think it's the same filter as the older 2GR-FE 3.5L V6? Purolator website shows 25608 part for both engines. I think the OEM is Toyota 04152-YZZA1 and Fram is a 9972. OEM doesnt have endcaps but the fancier purolators do? Any reason to avoid Fram in a cartridge filter?

Your screen name is that of a MC filter, and you've been here 15 years, and yet you want to know what a good filter is??????

There is no "best" oil filter. There are many good ones.

I run OEM filters in my Toyotas that have cartridge filters. I buy them online, in bulk, from a dealer. They come out to just over $3 per filter.

I used a Supertech filter once on my Camry and found that the supplied o-ring was junk. It was all squared off after 10k, and I suspect not long from leaking.

I've been using OEM filters and... I suppose not having issues is not saying much, but for the price they seem just fine. Wish I was getting them for $3 though, usually buy a box of 10 for $40.

I ran Toyota OEM filters and UOAs show oils could go longer but I change the oil and filter once per year on all our vehicles. I still have OEMS that I buy the case from an online dealer but also use Fram Ultra, NAPA Gold, NAPA Platinum, Amsoil, Mobil 1 filters with no issues. Both trucks use the can type filter and the Avalon uses the cartridge filter. Take your pick to help you sleep better. I typically run NAPA Gold on customer's vehicles.

Last edited:
Grab a few Napa Platinums while they're still on sale this month for $4.99
smile.gif

I've used the Toyota 04152-YZZA1 for my 07 Camry V6 the last 12 years. Still going strong at 180K miles. Never had any tears in the element or anything weird. I get them a case at a time from Toyota dealers selling on ebay.

Been using Mobil1 oil filter for my 2015 350GS 2GR-FSE. M1C-256. Not sure it is the same for yours.
Fram recently listed an Ultra cartridge filter XG10158, but no one carries it. Would use that as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back