BEST Oil Filter for 2020

Originally Posted by JerryBob
Originally Posted by Mainia
Fram Titanium.

Is this new? I haven't heard of these until now.

It's like an Ultra, but is completely coated in grippy paint, has slightly different inlet holes, and is exclusive to AAP

Fram customer support told me that for my vehicle (2019 Toyota Tacoma - V6 - FRAM Ultra Synthetic Oil Filter, XG9972) the Multi pass Efficiency - ISO 4548-12 test - 99.6% @20um

Ed

Fram Titanium.

Been quite a few threads about it in this forum.

I use a Fram Ultra for 2X OCI's, changing the oil at 4,000 miles. So it gets 8,000 miles total. But it takes me 1 year to reach 8,000 miles.

Last edited:
The best filter is one from a major filter maker that if the filter fails they will probably pay for most of a rebuild.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Fram Titanium.

Been quite a few threads about it in this forum.

Oh yes, I see now. Thanks. Fram Ultra still looks pretty good for the price.

I will go with Fram Ultra. Will go back to it when my A02's are gone.

Define best.

Cost vs performance, highest filtration, best flow, thickest can, longest interval, etc.

For me, there is no best.
I will use many different filters, with price being a higher priority than most things.
For me, the Fram Toughguard used to be a really good option, not as expensive as the Ultra, good filtration, silicone ADV, readily available.
Recently the TG has gone up in price, sometimes only a $1 cheaper than an Ultra.
Also with the Extraguard now having a silicone ADV and the price staying < $4 that is a good choice for many.

Supertech fitlers are the "best" for some vehicles I change oil on. My mom's Kia Soul needs the oil changed every 6 months, which is < 2,000 miles. A ST9688 is a great filter for it.
For my brother in laws F150 that is shedding metal, the ST2 is a good choice for me, even though I don't like combo anti-drainback/bypass valves.

Wix/NAPA Gold is a good day in/day out filter. Nothing spectacular, but gets the job done with no issues.

Originally Posted by blupupher
Define best.

Cost vs performance, highest filtration, best flow, thickest can, longest interval, etc.

For me, there is no best.
I will use many different filters, with price being a higher priority than most things.
For me, the Fram Toughguard used to be a really good option, not as expensive as the Ultra, good filtration, silicone ADV, readily available.
Recently the TG has gone up in price, sometimes only a $1 cheaper than an Ultra.
Also with the Extraguard now having a silicone ADV and the price staying < $4 that is a good choice for many.

Supertech fitlers are the "best" for some vehicles I change oil on. My mom's Kia Soul needs the oil changed every 6 months, which is < 2,000 miles. A ST9688 is a great filter for it.
For my brother in laws F150 that is shedding metal, the ST2 is a good choice for me, even though I don't like combo anti-drainback/bypass valves.

Wix/NAPA Gold is a good day in/day out filter. Nothing spectacular, but gets the job done with no issues.

Exactly, there is no "best"

This is the second thread DCMotorsports has started along the lines of what's the best oil filter, and hasn't returned to either one.

What do you think of the replies so far DCMotorsports? Any closer to a decision?

Originally Posted by wemay
Purolator Boss

I've been thinking about trying this oil filter for the next oil change.
wink.gif

Basic Filter = FRAM TG, WIX, Napa Gold
Extended Filter = FRAM Ultra, WIX XP, Napa Platinum

I used Fram Ultra and Mobil1 interchangeably for the last few years.

I've just gone back to Toyota OEM. I'll probably use Subaru OEM for my new vehicle later this year.

I don't think it really matters. The Toyota filter and Havoline prods combo was less than $30 including tax and 2 day delivery.

I like a bypass system; something like an Amsoil remote or dual remote. However, I cannot generate data that suggests they're cost-effective.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by DCMotorsports
And if possible, what reasons make them the best?

Everyone has their own list of what constitutes "the best oil filter". For example, some people care more about cost than they do about efficiency.

True!
I'm a MC fan, but there are other filters out there that are far superior than MC. For example, NAPA GOLD. This filter (for my engines application anyway) is a better filter than a MC-FL-400S. That's just my opinion. I like the NG because like the 400S it has the base end bypass valve. I like the fact that the dirty oil is not washed over the dirty filter media before it enters the dome end bypass. Some might think different about this. That's okay too.
But, in the end, as long as you keep up with your oil changes and change the oil filter, you're doing your engine a big favor.

Thanks everyone for all the replies. I am leaning heavy towards Fram Ultra. I had overlooked Fram in general due to mostly negative reviews about their lower quality options, had never heard of the Ultra version until these forums.

Back