BEST Oil Filter for 2020

Originally Posted by DCMotorsports
Thanks everyone for all the replies. I am leaning heavy towards Fram Ultra. I had overlooked Fram in general due to mostly negative reviews about their lower quality options, had never heard of the Ultra version until these forums.

You could run the Fram Xtra guard (Orange can) and never have a problem. I ran the "orange can of death" for 15 years and I'm still driving that vehicle 100k miles later.

Originally Posted by hardcore302
I remember a time in here when Fram was considered garbage and Purolators were considered fallen from the Heavens... ...

The only thing that stays constant is change.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by hardcore302
I remember a time in here when Fram was considered garbage and Purolators were considered fallen from the Heavens... ...

The only thing that stays constant is change.

Truth!

Originally Posted by blupupher
Define best.

Cost vs performance, highest filtration, best flow, thickest can, longest interval, etc.

For me, there is no best.
I will use many different filters, with price being a higher priority than most things.
For me, the Fram Toughguard used to be a really good option, not as expensive as the Ultra, good filtration, silicone ADV, readily available.
Recently the TG has gone up in price, sometimes only a $1 cheaper than an Ultra.
Also with the Extraguard now having a silicone ADV and the price staying < $4 that is a good choice for many.

Supertech fitlers are the "best" for some vehicles I change oil on. My mom's Kia Soul needs the oil changed every 6 months, which is < 2,000 miles. A ST9688 is a great filter for it.
For my brother in laws F150 that is shedding metal, the ST2 is a good choice for me, even though I don't like combo anti-drainback/bypass valves.

Wix/NAPA Gold is a good day in/day out filter. Nothing spectacular, but gets the job done with no issues.

Yeah, for me, given as Mazda has a very particular spec for their filters, the best is going to be OEM or the Wix 57002. Those two are confirmed to meet Mazda's specs with regards to bypass pressure and lack of an ADBV.

Will other filters work? Yeah, probably. But the best for this application is those two.

Fram Jobber or Fram Orange Cans following factory OCIs using cheapest oil meeting specs. Never let me down!!! Literally millions and millions of miles of real-world experience.

Last edited:
I'm not sure the best is required. A good filter with 99% at 20 microns and a decent oil with a 6 to 7K OCI will get your car by just fine. Yes and even HM oil will do the job with no negative impact.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
I'm not sure the best is required. A good filter with 99% at 20 microns and a decent oil with a 6 to 7K OCI will get your car by just fine. Yes and even HM oil will do the job with no negative impact.

99% @ 20μ is pretty much in the best efficiency realm for a spin-on.

Originally Posted by ToadU
Fram Jobber or Fram Orange Cans following factory OCIs using cheapest oil meeting specs. Never let me down!!! Literally millions and millions of miles of real-world experience.

I put almost 400,000 miles on my Olds Toronado Trofeo using nothing but Fram orange cans. Never a single problem!

Napa Gold / Wix Platinum user here. I've never used a Fram filter. Found the Wix XP or the Gold series and never thought of changing. Like another poster mentioned, I remember when Fram was put on the "trouble" list.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

99% @ 20μ is pretty much in the best efficiency realm for a spin-on.

Maybe but it doesn't have to be the most expensive. I get mostly 99% filters at price that have run between $5 and $6 and change. I never run a filter much over 7K miles. You can run some of them 20K they claim. But then if you cut one of those cans and you have a tear when did it happen 50 miles or 5000? That's my justification for one OIC filter changes.

Last edited:
I was going to take advantage of the Napa sale, a jug of full syn oil and a platinum filter. Someone mentioned in the rebate thread that the Gold is "better" than the Platinum, it is more efficient. What are the ratings of each? An uneducated assumption would be that the Platinum would be "better" than the Gold.

I was notified by Rock Auto that the Champ XL filters I use are back in stock AND for cheap! Mind you that these are no different than the Royal Purple and Amsoil brand oil filters (aside from the color and grippy material on the Amsoil version). Why pay $14+ for one from Amazon or elsewhere?

Does Champ Labs have a premium line other than Mobil 1 or K&N? I would want medium efficiency with a non-ecore.
Design. Never had problems with Champ Labs Delco non e-core. But that was before VVT and 10 foot long timing chains going every which way :)

Oh, I just saw IGNATIUS post that occurred coincidentally with my question.

Given the mind reading - any good undervalued automotive supplier industry stock bargains out there?

ticker GT was good to us last month

I was notified by Rock Auto that the Champ XL filters I use are back in stock AND for cheap! Mind you that these are no different than the Royal Purple and Amsoil brand oil filters (aside from the color and grippy material on the Amsoil version). Why pay $14+ for one from Amazon or elsewhere?

They are not like Royal Purple or Amsoil, but have synthetic blend media.

The most important thing about an oil filter is that it doesn't fail and then if it does fail and cause engine damage a majoe brand would probably cover the cost of the repairs.

Back