Best Motor Oil For Engine Wear - The Facts Only - No Hype Zone Here

Status
Not open for further replies.
A little testy are we??
nono.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
Ted, it doesn't make sense that you'd see improved fuel efficiency with the 0w30 but not lower wear over the other viscosities. The improved fuel economy comes from less friction correct? So less friction should equal less engine wear.
dunno.gif
confused.gif

This is a big myth that is constantly hyped by oil companies advertising motor oils to confuse the public. "Reduces friction and wear" is what you hear some sports figure or actor tell us like he is an expert in tribology, chemistry or metallurgy.

Friction modifiers that make "engergy conserving" oils are not anti-wear agents. In fact, low HTHS (High Temperature, High Shear viscosity) oils have less viscous drag, but cannot separate moving parts of an engine as well as higher HTHS oils that create more viscous drag and probably some small pumping losses. Real world engineering is always a comprimise between competing requrements.

I am also an engineer for the very "Big" airplane company. Most of todays engineers are in digital electronics or software. I am an "old timer" who got the best grades in metallurgy and chemistry. They did not even teach digital electronics or software engineering when I was in school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back