Mobil 1 - What does the FS on the jug stand for?

DIY

Just curious, so I contacted Mobil. The Help Desk got back to me with nothing informative, so I asked her to ask an engineer who is familiar with the 0W-40 I have been using.

Their response: Full Synthetic. Why bother listing FS when the jug already states Advanced Synthetic... and all oils I use from Mobil are synthetic.

I've seen Full SAPS on this forum, but where did they get that info, on a forum or from Mobil?

I'm one of those who said Full Saps. It just made sense. From my brief discussions with XOM the abbreviations on the label as just as much a tool to help the XOM employee choose the correct label to load in the machine on the manufacturing line as they are to market something different.

Last edited:
A few previous threads on the topic or have mentions:

What is SAPS?
Think ZDDP.

Sulfated Ash, Phosphorus, and Sulfur.

SAPS content is needed
to help retain the engine oil’s Total Base Number (TBN), resist viscosity shear loss and thermal breakdown, as well as protect against oxidation, wear, corrosion, and deposit formation; all of which are necessary for extended oil drain intervals.

Sulphated Ash is the amount of metallic content that remains as a result of engine oil combustion. These are mostly derived from the engine oil’s anti-wear and detergent additive chemistry.

Because Sulfated Ash deposits are non-combustible, they cannot be removed by regeneration, and will instead collect in the DPF or other exhaust aftertreatment device.

Too high a concentration of Sulfated Ash will block the DPF, and can cause the engine to lose power and not function properly, and may cause deposits to form on internal engine parts, which can damage the engine.

Phosphorus is an additive, providing anti-wear protection and improving oxidation resistance. The Phosphorus forms a thin layer on metal surfaces, limiting friction of metal parts rubbing together.

Sulfur is also an additive, contributing to overall engine cleanliness, as well as providing anti-wear and antioxidant protection.

Despite their favourable anti-wear and cleanliness properties, too high a concentration of Phosphorus and Sulfur content can poison and damage a vehicle’s catalyst converter, as well as lead to a buildup of Sulphated Ash in the engine and aftertreatment device.

Despite their favourable anti-wear and cleanliness properties, too high a concentration of Phosphorus and Sulfur content can poison and damage a vehicle’s catalyst converter, as well as lead to a buildup of Sulphated Ash in the engine and aftertreatment device.
Sort of, in this case the “sulfated ash” is an artifact of the sulfated ash test where it is reacted with sulfuric acid. There is no “sulfated ash” deposit, it’s only a method of measuring metallic ash in the oil.

If it's "full SAPS" where's the "LS" then? More than one person in these threads has said Mobil told them "full synthetic" when they called so whether it makes sense or not that's what it is. Seems odd to use a short for a more technical term like SAPS here.

Back