Best mercon LV for cold weather

Valvoline Dexron VI/Mercon LV Full Syn. Approval for DEX VI, Recommended for Mercon LV.

If you're comfortable with a recommended fluid it’s available at WM for $4.46/quart. Not sure why Valvoline wouldn’t get a Mercon LV approval and call it a day?

Valvoline Dexron VI/Mercon LV Full Syn. Approval for DEX VI, Recommended for Mercon LV.

If you're comfortable with a recommended fluid it’s available at WM for $4.46/quart. Not sure why Valvoline wouldn’t get a Mercon LV approval and call it a day?
Because Valvoline does not meet the Ford standard. And if Maxlife is not licensed by Ford why do they us Mercon LV as the product name?

And by the way is not “recommended” by Ford either it is recommended by Valvoline, as in, McDonald’s recommends you have a Bg Mac for lunch.

Attachments

• E195547C-E55F-4CD5-A0DB-92C5563BD4FF.jpeg
    E195547C-E55F-4CD5-A0DB-92C5563BD4FF.jpeg
    89.1 KB · Views: 16
Because Valvoline does not meet the Ford standard.
Either that or they don't want to pay for the licensing. AMSOIL doesn't pay for any of the industry certifications or licenses either, but their product is certainly "top tier". They might be the exception top the rule...

As for Mercon LV, I am in the same camp - I'll rather use a licensed product, especially when the cost is equal or similar. I have posted on the previous page a few licensed oils, including the Penzoil Platinum that's a good product IMO.

Either that or they don't want to pay for the licensing. AMSOIL doesn't pay for any of the industry certifications or licenses either, but their product is certainly "top tier". They might be the exception top the rule...

As for Mercon LV, I am in the same camp - I'll rather use a licensed product, especially when the cost is equal or similar. I have posted on the previous page a few licensed oils, including the Penzoil Platinum that's a good product IMO.
You would have to rely on verbal jujitsu like Valvoline can afford General Motors licensing but not Ford Motor Company licensing, to buy your argument. Maybe Valvoline could search the sofa cushions of all their instant oil change locations and come up with the coin to afford FMC license? Valvoline comes out and states their product is not licensed or approved by Ford. Their better known multi-vehicle ATF is not licensed by any car maker.

As for AMSOIL it is not “certainly” top tier anything except maybe top-tier pricing.

I find out motorcraft Mercon LV is not fully synthetic
Everything I've seen indicates that it is synthetic.

And if Maxlife is not licensed by Ford why do they us Mercon LV as the product name?
Maxlife doesn't refer to "Mercon LV" other than saying they (Valvoline) recommend it. Valvoline does have a Dexron-VI ATF that is licensed by GM for D-VI usage and are playing games including Mercon LV references. As I understand it, Dexron-VI and Mercon LV are basically identical specs so technically you can probably safely interchange the two fluids. There seems to be some rift between Valvoline and Ford though...

Maxlife doesn't refer to "Mercon LV" other than saying they (Valvoline) recommend it. Valvoline does have a Dexron-VI ATF that is licensed by GM for D-VI usage and are playing games including Mercon LV references. As I understand it, Dexron-VI and Mercon LV are basically identical specs so technically you can probably safely interchange the two fluids. There seems to be some rift between Valvoline and Ford though...
Thanks for clear that motorcraft Mercon lv is full synthetic

Thanks for clear that motorcraft Mercon lv is full synthetic
No it’s not
It’s never mentioned anywhere on Fords website that it’s Full Synthetic
If it was FS
Ford would advertise it as such !

it’s probably a SynBlend at best

I bought a bunch of these … Dexron VI approval and MLV is recommended … great price

I have used two brands that carry both approvals … go figure … I’d put in one of my Fords

Castrol makes a good fluid as well with Ford #’s

and I’m sure there’s others

Kendall Versatran LV is full synthetic

Don't know if you care, MaxLife it's not Mercon LV approved. Only "suitable for use". They specifically say that the manufacturers didn't evaluate nor endorse this fluid. Read careful:

I would get a synthetic with Mercon LV license (you check to see if they publish their actual Ford-Mercon LV license number) like those:

Personally, I used the MaxLife for the first and second flush due to lower cost (because I do three drain/fills), but at the last fill I use something that is licensed.

Good work sonic67...

And.. Home Depot actually has the Pennzoil full synthetic ATF for less than $5 a quart.... Quite a decent price on that too.

In contrast, unlike Valvoline the Castrol Transmax Full Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF is licensed and approved both by General Motors and Ford:

Full Synthetic, low viscosity formulation
OEM approved and licensed by Ford (MERCON® LV) and GM (DEXRON® -VI)
Low viscosity formula for maximum fuel efficiency in modern automatic transmissions

If you have a Home Depot close by
They are now stocking Pennzoil Platinum for less than $5 bucks a quart
I did went to Home Depot . Saw the penzoil for $5 . Is this every day price ? I dint buy cause it only have 4 qt . I need 8 qt . I might buy online and pick up in store .

thanks for head up .

Attachments

• 7017A5B7-895A-4D6F-BB34-F3BF53C1240D.jpeg
    7017A5B7-895A-4D6F-BB34-F3BF53C1240D.jpeg
    112.4 KB · Views: 17
Had my Escape serviced with Dex/Merc LV by Valvoline the other day.

Right at 50k miles. Car shifts much better especially while cold.

Book says to change fluid every 30k if severe service, or only at 150k if normal service.

I'll probably have it drained and filled again at 80k miles.

Back