Best mercon LV for cold weather

The mag1 data sheet states the pour point is -60f, that’s pretty impressive. maxlife and mc mercon lv both have a pour point of -48 but if you look at the viscosity stated for them at -40 maxlife is 9000 and MC lv is 10200. You’d think maxlife would have the lower pour point. honestly after looking at the maxlife and MC MERCON LV data sheets, they are both pretty similar. Probably splitting hairs.

Last edited:

I don't care for licensing or OE approvals. The DexronHP is the best DexronVI/MerconLV that I've ever used. Redline is excellent also.
Wow the d-6 pour point is -76f

Plot twist, the car has some sort of cold-weather PCM programming so it shifts a little funny when it's cold.

The Castrol and the Warren (Supertech) are the only two aftermarket Mercon LV fluids licensed by Ford at this time.
No. Liqui Moly ATF Top Tec 1800 is Mercon LV approved (and Dexron Vi). Full synthetic, made in Germany, sold at a super low price at Rock Auto. I use it in my 2007 F350. I just took a picture of the jug.... see below.
PXL_20210216_030805663.jpg
PXL_20210216_030748211.jpg

No. Liqui Moly ATF Top Tec 1800 is Mercon LV approved (and Dexron Vi). Full synthetic, made in Germany, sold at a super low price at Rock Auto. I use it in my 2007 F350. I just took a picture of the jug.... see below.

See you have Mr Don in your badge … spotted him (not hard to do) years ago in the Air Canada lounge at Toronto Lester B Pearson (YYZ) … Had two big “suits“ with him (their suits quite tame by comparison) …

Reactions: GON
Different transmission but I have amsoil multi vehicle LV in my Trailblazer with the 4L60E. I think I did the fluid exchange in 2014. Have not noticed any real difference with the factory fill Dex 6 in both summer and winter operation. Now it does get to -40c here and it runs top notch. Well as top notch as anything can in that ambient.

The difference in specs comes from the actual base/stock of that "synthetic". In US the definition of "synthetic" is a bit murky, group III, IV, and V base stocks can all be called "synthetic"
Amsoil, D6 are different that the rest.

Also, cars in Canada have heating plugs for the engine/transmission. If not the heaters can be easily added. And put on an outside receptacle, and a timer (3-4 hours before leaving).

For example for Toyota RAV4 there is a dry well, in the transmission casting, that accepts a factory heater plug (and the associated wiring):

Last edited:
All our vehicles are set up with engine block heaters but none have transmission heaters. I’m sure the block heater helps with the transmission but I’m not sure how much. I suppose it gets run through the radiator at warm up and that should heat it some?

I suppose it gets run through the radiator at warm up and that should heat it some?
The engine block being in mechanical contact with the transmission, will transfer some of the heat. If both are Aluminum, the transfer is even better.
Probably works better if there is no wind blowing cold air into the front of the car (mind how you park).
Also, when I was unfortunate to live in frozen places, starting at about -10C, I used to cover like 1/2 of the radiator with a cardboard piece (open the hood and slid it between the front grille and radiator).
I suggest the driver side, where transmission is located. And check to see if you are not missing the splash shield under the car. That's not only for water, but for cold temps too.

I decided to do two drain and fills will maxlife back to back (original fluid is very dirty)and then one more with d-6, after that every summer or 30k will be d-6.

When it come to Mercon LV requirement . Use motorcraft . I got mine today at Autozone for $7 a qt . Pretty good deal for factory fluid . I wish they carry more motorcraft fluid .

Attachments

• 5A6DEB86-E73F-4B52-A7AD-A626B6732ACE.jpeg
    5A6DEB86-E73F-4B52-A7AD-A626B6732ACE.jpeg
    172.5 KB · Views: 8
When it come to Mercon LV requirement . Use motorcraft . I got mine today at Autozone for $7 a qt . Pretty good deal for factory fluid . I wish they carry more motorcraft fluid .
A few of the ATFs being discussed are licensed by Ford so that means Ford is giving them a 100% stamp of approval. There's absolutely no risk in using them in this case. The Motorcraft fluid is inexpensive too and Supertech (Warren/MAG1 relabeled) is slightly cheaper but really not worth bickering over the difference (it's in the high $6 range for ST while Mercon LV is between $7-8 at O'Reilly).

If someone is a Castrol fan, they can be 100% confident in using their ATF in this application too. Same with Penzoil and the others that are licensed.

I haven’t keep up with this forum in a long time . Come and go

I find out motorcraft Mercon LV is not fully synthetic . Is this true ?

where can I find a list of “ Ford Licence approve “ Mercon LV off brand

I’m fan of max life atf . It’s say Mercon LV on bottle ,

I’m fan of max life atf . It’s say Mercon LV on bottle ,
Don't know if you care, MaxLife it's not Mercon LV approved. Only "suitable for use". They specifically say that the manufacturers didn't evaluate nor endorse this fluid. Read careful:

I would get a synthetic with Mercon LV license (you check to see if they publish their actual Ford-Mercon LV license number) like those:

Personally, I used the MaxLife for the first and second flush due to lower cost (because I do three drain/fills), but at the last fill I use something that is licensed.

Last edited:
Don't know if you care, MaxLife it's not Mercon LV approved. Only "suitable for use". They specifically say that the manufacturers didn't evaluate nor endorse this fluid. Read careful:

I would get a synthetic with Mercon LV license (you check to see if they publish their actual Ford-Mercon LV license number) like those:

Personally, I used the MaxLife for the first and second flush due to lower cost (because I do three drain/fills), but at the last fill I use something that is licensed.
I see it now . Dint know penzoil have platium in atf bottle . Thanks

Dint know penzoil have platium in atf bottle . Thanks
Yeah, that "PENNZOIL PLATINUM LV MULTI-VEHICLE ATF" has Ford MERCON® LV Approval [License Nos. MLV 140601, MLV 140602, MLV 140603].
Note that they say this is not compatible with ULV fluids (in case your cars would require that).

PS: You can hit the "Like" button if you want.

Back