Best mercon LV for cold weather

So I live in an area where it gets down to -40 degrees (not Celsius) in the morning, it’s been below -20 every day this week as a matter of fact. I use synthetic 0w-20 oil in all our vehicles minus the diesels and it definitely helps with cold starts but what would be the best cold weather ATF for mercon lv applications (2008 Ford Focus in this case)?

Motorcraft is conventional, maxlife (synthetic) seems like a good choice but I haven’t heard of any long term reviews of people running a Ford with it for 100k, and it’s not Ford licensed. I have some maxlife cold soaking right now along with some MC merc lv to see if there’s any difference in viscosity between the two. I know my conventional Walmart brand atf was only slightly thicker than the maxlife after a cold soak.

Do any of you guys have experience with ATF in extreme cold?

Last edited:
Are you sure that Motorcraft is conventional vs synthetic based ? I know Castrol's full synthetic ATF is licensed by Ford. Warren's own LV ATF is also licensed by Ford and is 100% synthetic (same ATF is sold by Walmart as Supertech, Federated auto parts stores, etc). I'd be surprised if the formulations are very different since they're all licensed.

No, I’m not sure. I guess I assumed it would have synthetic in big letters on it, lol. Maybe ATF isn’t labeled like that? The maxlife states it synthetic in big letters on the bottle.

OEM or factory type brands aren't that concerned with "marketing". People are buying it based on the name.

ATF+4 has superior cold weather attributes however I don't recommend it for your vehicle. I knew a transmission rebuilder that used to use it in GM's though.

OEM or factory type brands aren't that concerned with "marketing". People are buying it based on the name.
Makes sense I don’t recall seeing synthetic on Honda dw-1 bottles but it’s synthetic.

the maxlife flowed about like 15w-40 at 70 degrees when it was -20, which isn’t bad but it flows like water when warm.

You’ve got to see the humor in this!
Lol, should have just said Fahrenheit but couldn’t remember how to spell it and my spell check wasn’t helping, lol. I live up by Canada so have to differentiate, lol.

The Castrol and the Warren (Supertech) are the only two aftermarket Mercon LV fluids licensed by Ford at this time.

The Castrol and the Warren (Supertech) are the only two aftermarket Mercon LV fluids licensed by Ford at this time.
What? No you’re wrong.

Valvoline, Pennzoil, Havoline, and plenty of others have dual rated DexVI/Mercon LV approvals. They are both at least a synthetic blend.

Pennzoil LV

Attachments

• E7DBD26C-F6A6-4C15-B4E6-C171FF462CA6.jpeg
    E7DBD26C-F6A6-4C15-B4E6-C171FF462CA6.jpeg
    89.1 KB · Views: 35
Back