Best low priced all season that's good in the snow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: grampi
I've narrowed my choices down to the Cooper CS3 and the General RT43...I'll let you know which ones I end up getting and how they perform in the snow...

Oh those 2 I would get the RT43. The Ultra CS5 would win over them but the RT43 should be better than the CS3.

Ya. I was thinking the same thing about the CS5 Ultra. He would get a little more then the other two over all, but I hope my break down helps him out and makes choosing easier.

As I see Nokian WR mentioned - these are not "all season", but proper winter tyres (for central european conditions). They will, like any central european winter tyre, be inferior to nordic compound winter tyres in snow and ice performance but easily beat them on wet and dry tarmac. I guess that makes them much more all-seasonish than nordic winter tyres, but still, they will like any other winter tyre be rather awful to drive in summer. Winter compound and summer temperatures don't go well together. Heck, winter tyres are even inferior to summer tyres on dry roads at low temperatures!
But they are significantly better than summer tyres when you expect ice, slush or snow, which is why you will accept some performance decrease in the dry (when you expect winter conditions).

Yes, when facing the choice between driving winter tyres in summer or summer tyres in winter I'd probably go with winter tyres year round as the lesser evil of the two, (while significantly worse than summer tyres on dry roads, that is much more controllabe than summer tyres on winter roads...) but it's nothing I would recommend.

Use summer tyres in summer and winter tyres in winter. If you expect mostly plowed and salted roads, meaning bare tarmac with a bit of slush and only very few days of snow or ice, go with central european tyres. If you expect mor snow and ice or performance on these few days is of extreme importance (as your job depends on it or omething like that) go with nordic tyres, but expect significantly decreased performance on dry and wet roads.

Buying summer and winter tyres does not, as some have already said, cost more than buying one set of all season tyres. Say, for example, one set of all-seasons lasts you two years. Two sets of alle seasons last you four years.
No you buy one set of summer and one set of winter tyres. If your mileage dpes not change, your summer tyres shoul dlast four summers and your winter tyres four winters. So you use two sets of tires in these four years, just like with all-seasons. The only difference: 15 minutes of work in your driveway each spring and winter - and much better performace.

There is no true all season tyre and there can be no one. The requirements are too conflicting. With all season´tyres, you have three choices:
a) equally s..t both winter and summer,
b) decent in summer with very limited winter capabilities,
c) decent in winter but limited summer capacity.
Neither of which seems attractive to me, if I can also choose both great summer and great winter performance with summer and winter tyres at nearly the same cost...

Last edited:
the nokian wrg2 and wrg3 are both marketed as all-weather in north america.

IMO they are somewhere between performance winter and all-season.
they dont last long however.. 30000miles to 4/32 tread, 33000mi to 3/32...(from checking the log book the other day)

those were the wrg2 suv in 225/60r17

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
I'm somewhat befuddled that the Nokians showed up in a thread asking about low priced all season tires.

also i'm going to guess grampi is concerned about local availability....

I'm somewhat befuddled that the Nokians showed up in a thread asking about low priced all season tires.

how is the mazda3 treating you? did you experienced winter with it? on what tires?
(i have a 5 on (i guess) original oem's at 24k miles)

Originally Posted By: Rand
the nokian wrg2 and wrg3 are both marketed as all-weather in north america.

That's funny... in central europe, they're considered dedicated winter and marketed as such, with the g3 targeted at smaller and mid-size cars with a focus on efficeny, while the A3 is aimed at sportier and stronger cars.

Quote:

IMO they are somewhere between performance winter and all-season.
they dont last long however.. 30000miles to 4/32 tread, 33000mi to 3/32...(from checking the log book the other day)

those were the wrg2 suv in 225/60r17

30k miles is 48k km, which I'd consider pretty decent. (Mind that I have disposed of 3 sets of Continental, of which 1 set of winter contact TS 810 @ mere 20.000km and half thread. Whilst Contis are absolutely stunningly great when new, they tend to looes all grip very suddenly after they have worn to half their thread. That's why I love Michelin so much... they might not be great to begin, but stay pretty constant.)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pandus13

how is the mazda3 treating you? did you experienced winter with it? on what tires?
(i have a 5 on (i guess) original oem's at 24k miles)

My 3 had the Toyo factory tires its first winter. If you have 24k on your original tires, I'd highly recommend getting them switched out before the white stuff starts falling. Neither the Toyo or Yokohama OE tire was anything to write home about when new, and that late in life, they'll only be worse.

I went through the last three winters on ExtremeContact DWSs. They were okay in snow, and really good on ice. I pulled into a parking lot one morning, thinking I had good traction. I almost bought it as soon as I stepped out of the car - the tires gripped fine, but my shoes were another story.

This winter I'll be running on X-Ice Xi3s. Nothing to report on them, yet... except that their dry braking is taking some getting used to.

Since the OP is also asking for something that is good in the snow, of course you have to talk Nokians, but... the lower priced alternative is the Hankook Optimo 4S, though available in Canada, but not in the US.

...since the minimal criteria I use for being good in the snow is the Mountain-snowflake logo.
http://m.tires.canadiantire.ca/mt/tires....kook-optimo-4s/

Are they going to be as good as a true dedicated winter tire? Of course not, in the winter conditions... compromises had to be made

If the Hankook Optimo 4S were avail in the states I would be all over them, as they look ideal to put on my Subie. I have been thinking about the Nokian's but they are pricey especially for a car that doesn't get driven daily. Any suggestions to another true all-weather tire that is avail in the states in a V speed rating.

Originally Posted By: Picky1
If the Hankook Optimo 4S were avail in the states I would be all over them, as they look ideal to put on my Subie. I have been thinking about the Nokian's but they are pricey especially for a car that doesn't get driven daily. Any suggestions to another true all-weather tire that is avail in the states in a V speed rating.

Nokian WR G3.

I'll be getting a set installed on Friday
235/45 R 17 97 V XL

^^^ Yes the Nokian WG3 would be great, but they are pricey! Was hoping to see if there were any alternatives.

Anyone have any feedback on running the Nokian WG2/3 or eNTYRE year round and the impact on you MPG's?

I just had DTD order me a set of the CS5 Ultras...getting them installed next Monday morning...we'll see how they do...

so the cs5 ultra with no tread voids are going to be good in the snow???

15.gif

Why does this feel like one of ram_man's threads where he solicits advice then just does whatever
27.gif

where is your "best winter all season" getting its winter condition traction from with no voids?

CS5UltraTouring_LgTread.png

vs rt43
ge_altimax_rt43_ci1_l.jpg

I'm sure the cs5 ultra touring is a great quiet, wet, dry traction tire.. but its definitely not winter oriented.

Last edited:
so the cs5 ultra with no tread voids are going to be good in the snow???

15.gif

Why does this feel like one of ram_man's threads where he solicits advice then just does whatever
27.gif

where is your "best winter all season" getting its winter condition traction from with no voids?

CS5UltraTouring_LgTread.png

vs rt43
ge_altimax_rt43_ci1_l.jpg

I'm sure the cs5 ultra touring is a great quiet, wet, dry traction tire.. but its definitely not winter oriented.

You apparently haven't read any of this thread...there are several who would disagree with you...

You apparently haven't read any of this thread...there are several who would disagree with you...

Well the only people who said the cs5 ultra are good in the snow live in virginia, or read cooper's marketing materials on their website, because there is no other source.

They will be average at best(in winter), they came out last year and there is no extended data or independent winter reviews on them. They are without doubt quieter than the rt43 and better than chinese or most oem tires..

I could buy the fact that the rubber compound is fairly good in the snow, although usually a V rated tire is biased more towards dry and wet.

Buying the fact that something with minimal straight siping and near 0 tread voids is "good" in snow deeper than 2-3" is just not going to happen.

I challenge you to think about what gives you traction in snow.

This is the whole "dont need no winter tires thing" all over again. The people who use winter tires never say that.

Also since you have never had a bad winter tire you will probably find these OK. Thats not saying that the rt43 arent significantly better in snowy conditions.

These may be my next tires for my 2015 forester, but They will only be used apr-nov since I have ws-80's for dec-mar. I do live in the secondary lake effect snow belt, with frequent trips to the heavy snow areas up north of streetsboro.

As long as you are happy with them that's great, I just feel like you put your head in the sand on this one.

Well the only people who said the cs5 ultra are good in the snow live in virginia, or read cooper's marketing materials on their website, because there is no other source.

They will be average at best(in winter), they came out last year and there is no extended data or independent winter reviews on them. They are without doubt quieter than the rt43 and better than chinese or most oem tires..

I could buy the fact that the rubber compound is fairly good in the snow, although usually a V rated tire is biased more towards dry and wet.

Buying the fact that something with minimal straight siping and near 0 tread voids is "good" in snow deeper than 2-3" is just not going to happen.

I challenge you to think about what gives you traction in snow.

This is the whole "dont need no winter tires thing" all over again. The people who use winter tires never say that.

Also since you have never had a bad winter tire you will probably find these OK. Thats not saying that the rt43 arent significantly better in snowy conditions.

These may be my next tires for my 2015 forester, but They will only be used apr-nov since I have ws-80's for dec-mar. I do live in the secondary lake effect snow belt, with frequent trips to the heavy snow areas up north of streetsboro.

As long as you are happy with them that's great, I just feel like you put your head in the sand on this one.

I don't necessarily need an all season that is the absolute best in the snow, just one that is good in the snow...I feel the CS5 will provide good snow traction, while at the same time be decent at everything else...

Last edited:
It's definitely hyperbole to say the CS5 Ultra Touring has "no tread voids."

It has a decent amount. It doesn't have as many sipes and spaces between the blocks as some tires, but it has more than others.

I'll be interested in seeing how it performs after people get some winters under their belts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back