Best low priced all season that's good in the snow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: geeman789
So back to the original thread...low priced all season GOOD in snow...?

The answer is NONE...! Don't kid yourself... good... ummm, no. Barely adequate, if you tip toe around, maybe... !

To just flat out say there is no such thing as an all season tire that performs well in the snow is just flat out wrong. The cheap, no name brand all seasons I put on the front of my Corolla last year were incredible in the snow. In fact, they would pull that car through snow so deep I could feel it dragging across the floorboards as I was going through it...I doubt there's a dedicated snow tire that would do any better than these...

I think what you mean is that tires worked well enough for you in that situation, no fancy tires needed, and that's fine, many people do get around on all-seasons.
If you came over to my place in the winter during a decent snow fall though, you'd be parking your car at the road and getting a ride with me in the Focus.
My FIL refuses to get snow tires(and gets stuck on his own driveway a couple times a winter too) and I always make a point to drive them in with the Focus. They drive so little that a set of snows would last for a decade too.

Originally Posted By: Rand

To just flat out say there is no such thing as an all season tire that performs well in the snow is just flat out wrong. The cheap, no name brand all seasons I put on the front of my Corolla last year were incredible in the snow. In fact, they would pull that car through snow so deep I could feel it dragging across the floorboards as I was going through it...I doubt there's a dedicated snow tire that would do any better than these...

I have defenders and they arent bad for light snow, but they are definitely average at best in deep snow.
Fortunately the car I run those on has a set of michelin xice xi2's that goes on right before the first major snow. and off in april..
so they only have to handle light snow.

Grampi-- Thats like saying "I've love my chevy corsica I cant imagine a better car"... there are better ones out there let me assure you..

unless you were just
Trolling.gif

I don't know, dragging my car through snow so deep I can feel it through the floorboards is pretty impressive to me...they also turn and stop well in these conditions...what else does a tire need to do? I just don't buy into the notion that all season tires can't possibly be good performers in snow...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
But if you're looking for both good value and good performance, check out your options with Hankook or Kumho tires. They're generally well respected Korean brands, and they often offer rebates.
Ah...the Kumho KL21 stock on Kia SUVs are terrible in snow. Some Kumhos may be OK on snow, but not all.

Maybe the first winter. See how they pull winter #2 or #3 or #4. My snows keep pulling and pulling and pulling. And, how did they brake on ice, even winter #1, compared to a real snow tire?

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Maybe the first winter. See how they pull winter #2 or #3 or #4. My snows keep pulling and pulling and pulling. And, how did they brake on ice, even winter #1, compared to a real snow tire?

Ice braking seemed fine, but how they compare to snows I don't know...I've never had a set of snows on any of the vehicles I currently own...I figure why spend twice as much on tires (buying twice as many tires) if I don't have to....

Just recently bought Hankook Noble2's, Conti PureContact Ecoplus, and General RT43s!

Obviously all three are on a different cars, but I'll report back how they do relative to one another soon. Actually the car with the Noble2s probably won't see the snow though. I'm looking forward to the RT43s, have heard good things about them. Should be an improvement from the Altimax HPs anyway

Ice braking seemed fine, but how they compare to snows I don't know...I've never had a set of snows on any of the vehicles I currently own...I figure why spend twice as much on tires (buying twice as many tires) if I don't have to....

I don't see where you are coming up with twice as much money being spent.

First off, yes, since you are riding on tires that need to be replaced now, you might have to buy twice as many tires, this one time. But then, your 2 sets of tires lasts much much longer than your one set of tires, and you are safer than you ever have been in snow.

If you have never driven in the winter on high quality winter tires, then you are missing out.

You asked for inexpensive tires that do well in snow, so obviously you are concerned about driving in the snow. Why not just buy cheap snow tires, and run them all year? Countless people here in Colorado do, though I do think that they are a bit off their rocker.

Ultimately, you are the one driving the car.
You're the one who has to be happy with the performance of your car in snow, with whatever tires it is that you wind up choosing.

Some of us here see the wisdom in owning two sets of tires, one being a dedicated winter tire. Some of us even have multiple cars with two sets of tires, each (3 cars in my garage, 6 sets of wheels and tires).

It's up to you to decide if you want to give it a try.

BC.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter

I don't see where you are coming up with twice as much money being spent.

First off, yes, since you are riding on tires that need to be replaced now, you might have to buy twice as many tires, this one time. But then, your 2 sets of tires lasts much much longer than your one set of tires, and you are safer than you ever have been in snow.

If you have never driven in the winter on high quality winter tires, then you are missing out.

You asked for inexpensive tires that do well in snow, so obviously you are concerned about driving in the snow. Why not just buy cheap snow tires, and run them all year? Countless people here in Colorado do, though I do think that they are a bit off their rocker.

Ultimately, you are the one driving the car.
You're the one who has to be happy with the performance of your car in snow, with whatever tires it is that you wind up choosing.

Some of us here see the wisdom in owning two sets of tires, one being a dedicated winter tire. Some of us even have multiple cars with two sets of tires, each (3 cars in my garage, 6 sets of wheels and tires).

It's up to you to decide if you want to give it a try.

BC.

Twice as many tires purchased is twice as much money, unless they give snow tires away...I also don't want to be bothered with having to change my tires/wheels at every change of season...too much hassle...I'd rather just install a set of all seasons that perform well in all weather conditions and be done with it...

Twice as many tires purchased is twice as much money...

Tires replaced half as often is half as much money.

Unless you're so hung up on personal finances that you actually come up with a cost of money figure for your vehicle maintenance, you'll never see the difference long term.

Yeah, there's the hassle of having to switch out wheels twice a year, but that's the price you pay for better traction.

Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
Twice as many tires purchased is twice as much money...

Tires replaced half as often is half as much money.

Unless you're so hung up on personal finances that you actually come up with a cost of money figure for your vehicle maintenance, you'll never see the difference long term.

Yeah, there's the hassle of having to switch out wheels twice a year, but that's the price you pay for better traction.

I guess I've never had a set of all seasons that were so bad in the snow that I'd consider going with snows...

I guess I've never had a set of all seasons that were so bad in the snow that I'd consider going with snows...

So I'm wondering why you started this thread.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer

So I'm wondering why you started this thread.

Because all tires aren't equal...

After 6 pages of replies, there is not a single answer that indicates there is a sub $70 all season tire (in your size) that is also good in the snow.

This is also confirmed at Tire Rack:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=GTAS&width=215%2F&ratio=60&diameter=16&tireSearch=true&filter=y

Seems like you have a choice of either low price OR good (not excellent) snow performance, but not both.

As others have said, in the end only you can choose your priorities.

Best of luck to you.

just wanted to mention that there is a 70$ rebate with cooper right now so that would bring the cs3 down in price for you. I run continentals but the cooper brand was one of three choices I was looking at.

I've never had dedicated winter tires so I never experienced the difference. If the OP never experienced dedicated snow tires than maybe he would be the one to take the plunge on the cooper cs3's and let us know how they perform for their category and price range. Since we both wouldn't know the benefits of a dedicated winter tire than this all season may perform to his standards.

Last edited:
I just paid $100 each installed for Cooper CS5 grand after rebate ...not sure how they do in snow. They will never see it anyway.

this was 215/60r15 though

I've narrowed my choices down to the Cooper CS3 and the General RT43...I'll let you know which ones I end up getting and how they perform in the snow...

Grampi, I was checking out DTD's website. Here is a link to compare the CS3, CS5 ULTRA, and RT43. Cooper CS3 have a 40$ rebate and CS5 have a 60$ rebate bringing their cost to 75-80$ per tire with free shipping currently. The RT43s are about 92$ per tire after the 25$ instant web discount and they have free shipping as well.

215/60R16
CS3 [T rated, 540AB] 75$ per tire after 40$ rebate ** CS3 info & reviews **
CS5 Ultra [H rated, 620AA] 76$ per tire after 60$ rebate ** CS5 Ultra info & reviews **
CS5 [T rated, 780AA] 80$ per tire after 60$ rebate ** CS5 info & reviews **
RT43 [T rated, 700AB] 91.75$ per tire after 25% instant web rebate ** RT43 info & reviews **

Free shipping applies to the all the tires in the list. Oh, and the Cooper mail-in rebate is a Visa prepaid card. Veteran's day is coming around the corner too.
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: brslds
Grampi, I was checking out DTD's website. Here is a link to compare the CS3, CS5 ULTRA, and RT43. Cooper CS3 have a 40$ rebate and CS5 have a 60$ rebate bringing their cost to 75-80$ per tire with free shipping currently. The RT43s are about 92$ per tire after the 25$ instant web discount and they have free shipping as well.

215/60R16
CS3 [T rated, 540AB] 75$ per tire after 40$ rebate ** CS3 info & reviews **
CS5 Ultra [H rated, 620AA] 76$ per tire after 60$ rebate ** CS5 Ultra info & reviews **
CS5 [T rated, 780AA] 80$ per tire after 60$ rebate ** CS5 info & reviews **
RT43 [T rated, 700AB] 91.75$ per tire after 25% instant web rebate ** RT43 info & reviews **

Free shipping applies to the all the tires in the list. Oh, and the Cooper mail-in rebate is a Visa prepaid card. Veteran's day is coming around the corner too.
cheers3.gif

do discount tires price match?
maybe you can trow the treadepot, tireeasy, tirerack prices at them? (dtd seems to include already the price of shipping in their price)

dtd has tax in ohio, they will pricematch other website's shipped price.

the rt43 is the best regular all-season in the winter.. just look at the tread pattern. its also quite good in the wet.

Dry handling is normal for a t-rated passenger tire.

if you look at those handy links posted, you can see the much larger voids in the rt43 this gives it a significant edge in wintry conditions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back