Best Group III Oil that doesnt have other groups

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which Oil is the best Group 3 that doesnt have Other Groups mixed in to it?

Everyone lambastes Castrol Syntec as being a Fake Synthetic. Apparently, even the 5W-50 is a Fake Synthetic. It might be thin like a 40 at operating temp, sure. But its base Stocks are what i want to know about.

This is separate research, i never considered this angle on Oil before. (If a GIII or G IV will hold its Kinematic Viscosity better at Operating Temperature, 100 degrees C.)

M1 15W-50 is looking like a strong candidate. That or Castrol Syntec 5W-50. I have no idea the Group properties, or if there is even a Thread on this exact things on the difference between the Groups. Of course, if i could find Pennzoil Platinum 15W-50, id use that, then use the M1 for winter as PP is heavier and will probably clean too.

This post makes me believe it will be ok, as it never really gets colder than Zero degrees, except for dipping to -5 about for a week or so. Quote is below.

Quote:
I use M1 15W-50 year round in all my vehicles as does my family. The coldest temperature would be one that lives in the DC area. The warmest would be one that lives in the Charlotte, NC area. I live in SE, KY.

I had one morning all last winter than went below 0F, it was -4. The 2.4L Toyota and the 2.2L Cavalier started with no problems at all. I have never had cold start problems with M1 15W-50, BUT, I do not live where it normally goes to -X below zero F.

Right now we have a 1986 Toyota, 1999 Cavalier, 2008 Silverado. Oldest daughter and husband have 2006 or 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt, I can't remember, and a 2007 Chrysler Van. Youngest daughter and husband have a 2006 Pontiac G6 and a 2008 Jeep Patriot.

My Toyota, Cavalier, and Silverado will start at 0F to 8F literally before I can release the key. Daughters and son in laws say same. My Toyota has 301,000 miles, 261,000 on M1 15W-50. Used on the farm and will get some hard use today. My wife's Cavalier has 214,000 miles and got M1 15W-50 the day it came home from the dealer. It is used as primary vehicle, every day. The Silverado just turned 8000 miles last week on trip to Charlotte, NC. It got M1 15W-50 home from dealer.

Going back to 1990, myself, wife, daughters, and now son in laws, have an average of close to 190,000 miles per vehicle before sold or traded. Never an engine problem, no oil use, no oil leaks, no seeping oil around pans and covers, and ALWAYS better than EPA mileage estimates. We used M1 15W-50 in small DOHC, 1.5L I4 all the way up to big GM, 350, V8.

The only time I/we have been in extremely cold weather is visiting relatives in Michigan. A few -10 mornings. Cars always started with no problems, no issues. If I lived in Michigan, or someplace with really cold winters, I would most likely use a XW-40 synthetic.

I think the reason I have such great success with M1 15W-50 is because it is primarily PAO, thin for a 50 with 40C of 131.2 and 100C of 18.1, HTHS of only 4.5, and temperature extremes where we live in VA, KY, and NC.

I do not have brand loyalty and would change to something better in an instant if it could be proven, to me, there was something better FOR MY USE. With something over 2,340,000 miles since 1990, always better than EPA, never an engine problem, oil use, oil leak, oil seep, I am very content with M1 15W-50.

IF, there was a PAO with a 100C cSt of 12.5-13.5, HTHS of at least 3.6, SM ZDDP, high, very high FM pack, low SA, 1 or less, no more than about 2000 calcium, lower spread as 10W/15W-X, I think I could be interested.

I dont fully understand your question or reason for the question, but, most major 5w-30 and 10w-30 synthetics are majority group III basestock (per MSDS not conformed by gas chromatograph). Some exceptions to the "Fake Syn" rule are Mobil 1 AFE 0w-30 and their M1 10w-30 High Mileage and the M1 Racing 4T (10w40) if you want primary PAO base (for some ??? reason). For a great performing group III, Look for oils with the near magical Shell XHVI basestock (which has VI over 140). I've read in the past that shell rotella syn 5w-40 RT6 is majority XHVI, and VHVI paraffinics from GTO in m1 0w-40.

Last edited:
It seems like your definition, and certainly supporting evidence, of what the "best" is is by who makes the thickest group 3.

In that case, some lucas stabilizer in whatever 50 weight you can find.

I think PP springs to mind, and for those who don't do the "thickest #$%^ I can find" probably 5-30 is the most versatile.

Edit, Amsoil XL certainly could be, but for me not easy to find or nearly as cheap.

Last edited:
For common off the shelf oils I would vote for Shell Rotella T6. Many of us use it as lower price substitute for Motorcycle Oil with better results than MC Oil. Dealing with wet clutches and gears as well as the shearing from a 16,000 rpm engine is a very demanding environment.

PS What kind of application?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bepperb
It seems like your definition, and certainly supporting evidence, of what the "best" is is by who makes the thickest group 3.

In that case, some lucas stabilizer in whatever 50 weight you can find.

I think PP springs to mind, and for those who don't do the "thickest #$%^ I can find" probably 5-30 is the most versatile.

Edit, Amsoil XL certainly could be, but for me not easy to find or nearly as cheap.

Steve: Didnt change it yet. I topped off with MaxLife 10W-40 today, I think im going to do the M1 15W-50 next time, this after extensive research and I STILL cant find PP 15W-50 and maybe never will.

bepperb, Haha on Lucas.
lol.gif
I still dont get the difference between the Groups 3, 4, and 5 as of yet.. and "PAO" which is polyalphaoleates, or some other such word. I have read some about Esters. Nice. My research into Castrol keeps on calling it "Fake Synthetic" this comes up over and over and over and lead me to post the Group III question.

Thickest? Kinda Sorta. But for the thought behind the question: Im more interested in Flow vs Viscosity being maintained and not going down 2 grades when the engine warms up like Gary Allan points out, in my application. i.e., "50" weight being turned into a "40"-like Kinematic Viscosity very rapidly. That would defeat the purpose, somewhat. Hence, Group III vs the world question.
thumbsup2.gif

I will not be using Lucas anything. I never did either, and my non-use of Lucas is
01.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back