Best Gas & Diesel Oil????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best Gas & Diesel Oil????

I'm gonna order a 30 gal drum of oil. I would like y'alls input on which type of oil would best suit our needs for BOTH our diesel & gasoline powered vehicles, if there is one? If not, then please make your recommendation for the diesels only.

WARNING: I PREFER AMSOIL PRODUCTS

We buy and sell 2 or 3 diesel pusher motor homes per yr. I want the option of doing XOCIs in the future. These coaches always have a pre-2007 Cummins 450hp M11 or pre-2007 500hp ISM engines with 10 gal sumps. I install an engine oil bypass filter system on them. They weigh < 45k Lbs, and get driven < 10k miles/yr. In the past, before I ever installed an engine oil bypass filter system, I've used Rotella T3 15-40w and changed it and the FF filter every 6k miles. I haven't done UOA on the diesels in the past, but I will in the future.

Our gasoline powered vehicles are daily drivers that get driven 18k miles/yr ea., a 07 Toyota 2wd FJ Cruiser 4.0L and a 08 GMC fwd Acadia 3.6L. I have installed TopDog V engine oil bypass filter(EaBP90) systems on each and run larger than stock full flow Amsoil or Mobil1 filters. They see rural easy 100% on road driving only. I do UOAs. I've been running Amsoil SSO 0-30w and doing oil and filter changes once/yr.

Thanks in advance!

15W-40 or 5W-40 is the right answer, depending on the ambient temperature and your preference for conventional or synthetic. Don't use xW-30 oil in a diesel engine unless it is specifically recommended (in the rare cases of some of the very newest engines).

My favorite 15W-40 is Mobil Delvac 1300 Super.

Your AMSOIL program on the passenger vehicles sounds reasonable, but I would check the Cummin's maintenance schedule for your motorhome engines. I seem to remember a 15,000 OCI interval for the ISM in severe service. If that is the case, a conventional HDEO should handle your 10,000 OCI easily; especially with the bypass filter.

I would follow the OEM viscosity recommendation for the Cummins engines. I’m sure 15w40 is preferred, but if 5w40 is recommended and you still want a one drum program...5w40 would probably be the best compromise for your “fleet”. I say compromise because 5w40 is probably not recommended for your gasoline powered vehicles.

If warranty coverage (AMSOIL or OEM) on the gasoline vehicles isn’t a concern, a 5w40 used in your 5w30 application shouldn’t hurt anything...but it's your call.

Quote:
Rotella 10w30 HDEO

I would not use a 10w30 in Texas heat if it was not recommended by Cummins.

Originally Posted By: daman
Originally Posted By: Bambam
Rotella 10w30 HDEO

^^x2 simple as that...

Using lower hot viscosity than recommended results in engine damage, excessive oil consumption, and excessive emissions. Simply don't do it. There is nothing in an oil that protects the engine more than the viscosity.

In virtually all cases, using xW-40 weight in a gasoline engine that specifies xW-30 won't hurt it though, as long as the xW-40 oil has the latest API gasoline specification (SM or SN).

Originally Posted By: Gokhan

...Using lower hot viscosity than recommended results in engine damage.

...Simply don't do it There is nothing in an oil that protects the engine more than the viscosity.

Wow Really??

explain why the 5w20 is working just fine in my V8 plow/tow truck? that specs 10w30?

if OP is with in spec your good,that T5 HDEO 10w30 that has a Cummings approval will work.

In virtually all cases, using xW-40 weight in a gasoline engine that specifies xW-30 won't hurt it though, as long as the xW-40 oil has the latest API gasoline specification (SM or SN).

So in that case a API SL oil would blow up your engine huh?

Originally Posted By: Bambam
Rotella 10w30 HDEO

^^x2 simple as that...

Using lower hot viscosity than recommended results in engine damage, excessive oil consumption, and excessive emissions. Simply don't do it. There is nothing in an oil that protects the engine more than the viscosity.

You're going to have to prove that with some data my friend.

Ooops forgot i'm running T5 10w30 in my '97 6.5 TD that specs 15w40, better get it outa there....

I would keep running it. 10w30 should be fine for your '97 6.5T in winter temperatures. I believe the manual lists it for

Originally Posted By: Rob_Roy
Ooops forgot i'm running T5 10w30 in my '97 6.5 TD that specs 15w40, better get it outa there....

I would keep running it. 10w30 should be fine for your '97 6.5T in winter temperatures. I believe the manual lists it for

Sarcasm Roy
56.gif

but thanks...

explain why the 5w20 is working just fine in my V8 plow/tow truck? that specs 10w30?

I will leave it to the senior posters to reply to this question.

Perhaps you won't see a difference in the short term, but oil is about long-term effects. Just do a research on the Internet and you will see a lot of information on the perils of using low-HTHS oil in high-HTHS applications, including Toyota's technical bulletins, oil manufacturers' Web sites, and the ACEA Web site. If it was OK to use 5W-20 oil in 5W-30 applications, they wouldn't be selling 5W-30 oil, as 5W-20 is more fuel-efficient. Even GM doesn't use 5W-20 for its dexos1 specification.

Any kind of oil will work in any kind of engine but that doesn't mean it's good for your engine, especially in the long term. But obviously you are free to experiment with any kind of oil in your engine -- it's your engine after all. You can use olive oil if you like.

There is nothing more dangerous for your engine than to use an oil of too low viscosity as far as choosing the right type of oil is concerned.

Just do a research on the Internet and you will see a lot of information on the perils of using low-HTHS oil in high-HTHS applications, including Toyota's technical bulletins, oil manufacturers' Web sites, and the ACEA Web site.

Here is one of the numerous references. Similar references are also found on the ACEA documents.

Viscosity matters -- a lot.

Last edited:
Experiment? what experiment?

it works no issues here...

did you answer Bambams question above yet?

Yes, I did, in my above post.

You might want to do UOAs with 5W-20 and 5W-30 and compare. Why are you using 5W-20 anyway? It's not worth the slight fuel-economy gain to risk increased engine wear by using an oil film too thin for your clearances.

Experiment? what experiment?

it works no issues here...

did you answer Bambams question above yet?

Yes, I did, in my above post.

You might want to do UOAs with 5W-20 and 5W-30 and compare. Why are you using 5W-20 anyway? It's not worth the slight fuel-economy gain to risk increased engine wear by using an oil film too thin for your clearances.

Has nothing to do with FE,cold start ups and no you didn't not much proof if you ask me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back