best for carbon build-up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by neo3
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

No. Just make sure your injectors are functioning properly. All pistons have some carbon, just because it's present doesn't mean it's an issue.

It raises the compression, which can cause knocking, and/or cause the computer to lower the timing to compensate.

Oil can prevent or hold off carbon build up in places like the rings and lands. If you are looking for oil to clean piston tops then you have more serious problems than carbon buildup.

Chris

I purchased four 5-qt jugs, prior to buying the Mobil-1EP on rebate.
Two five quart jug of Platinum
One five quart jug of Valvoline Advanced
One five quart jug of Castrol Black Edge.

I'm impressed with the Edge Black add-pack. It's quite unique with the lowest Calcium number - a shot of Titanium and a boat-load of Magnesium .... around 1400.
The Valvoline Advanced add-pack looks most robust "overall", meaning weighing all the ingredients (loaded) - then adding them up & comparing them to other brand names.

Base Oil plays a crucial role with all these SN Plus / Dexos1 Gen2 / anti-lspi oils. For example: Valvoline Modern Engine and Mobil-1 AP host subpar add-packs. But when we read the UOA results, both oils do a marvelous job, despite a so-so add-pack. That means very good base oils present.

I wish the oil gurus here would help breakdown all the major player 5w30 base oils with SN Plus and rank them..... if that's even possible. The ranking would have be more than just determining PAO and TBN.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Are there any difference in current oil specs and/or brands (5W30 synthetics) that relate to reducing carbon build-up on pistons? This is for a non-direct-injection LS engine. Those cleaners you can spray in while the engine is running really don't touch this stuff, in my experience. The best thing is obviously to prevent the oil from getting into the combustion chamber in the first place, but that is just not entirely possible. Does the dexos 2 spec have any advantage in this area?

If you read the Pennzoil Yellow Bottle, Pennzoil Gold, Pennzoil Platinum and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum labels, engine cleanliness percentages escalate as you move up the ladder with these brands.

No other manufacturer has been successful in court, trying to get the Pennzoil document on these 'Platinum' labels removed. When a company claims in-writing they are better at the business of cleanliness amongst other leading brands - and that wording remains year-after-year, that should tell you and myself something right there.

Yes I had just recently started using Pennzoil Euro L 5W30, now Walmart has stopped carrying it for some reason.

It's on Walmart website

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back