best for carbon build-up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any difference in current oil specs and/or brands (5W30 synthetics) that relate to reducing carbon build-up on pistons? This is for a non-direct-injection LS engine. Those cleaners you can spray in while the engine is running really don't touch this stuff, in my experience. The best thing is obviously to prevent the oil from getting into the combustion chamber in the first place, but that is just not entirely possible. Does the dexos 2 spec have any advantage in this area?

Water injection ... best valve and combustion chamber/piston top cleaner ever.

Depends on how bad. You can run higher octane if stalling or if carbon is to much tear down is only option. Usually vacuum line cleaners work (Seafoam) before teardown.
If trying to prevent carbon then any certified Dexo oil will help with top tier gas then bottle of fuel injector cleaner in fuel when you change oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

I agree - - but they are a royal pain to set up properly.

I wonder how well RXP would work in your application.

Also, Marvel Mystery oil at rec dose (4oz per 10 gallons) does a great job of cleaning up pistons,
but it is not a "quick fix" and requires quite a bit of time (months/many miles) to let it work

Used to spray water into the carburetors.

BG makes a cleaning system for cleaning valves and piston tops.

Originally Posted by neo3
Are there any difference in current oil specs and/or brands (5W30 synthetics) that relate to reducing carbon build-up on pistons? This is for a non-direct-injection LS engine. Those cleaners you can spray in while the engine is running really don't touch this stuff, in my experience. The best thing is obviously to prevent the oil from getting into the combustion chamber in the first place, but that is just not entirely possible. Does the dexos 2 spec have any advantage in this area?

No. Just make sure your injectors are functioning properly. All pistons have some carbon, just because it's present doesn't mean it's an issue.

Originally Posted by anndel

Used to spray water into the carburetors.

My Cadillac dealer in the 70's used to pour brake fluid into the carburetor. Worked every time.

If you read the Pennzoil Yellow Bottle, Pennzoil Gold, Pennzoil Platinum and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum labels, engine cleanliness percentages escalate as you move up the ladder with these brands.

No other manufacturer has been successful in court, trying to get the Pennzoil document on these 'Platinum' labels removed. When a company claims in-writing they are better at the business of cleanliness amongst other leading brands - and that wording remains year-after-year, that should tell you and myself something right there.

..... and yet, I've put my two jugs of Platinum aside for now and will begin my new 2019 Hyundai OCIs using Mobil-1 EP.
Go figure! Sometimes we just don;t believe, what's right there in black & white in front of us. I have chosen to delay using Platinum. Why?..... because my new Hyundai engine is not dirty yet and may never get dirty, after looking at so many pics of engine-innards that use Mobil-1/EP.

Last edited:
*What would be your take on Castrol EDGE black bottle as compared to Pennzoil Platinum or M1 cleanliness / preventing deposits ?
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

If you read the Pennzoil Yellow Bottle, Pennzoil Gold, Pennzoil Platinum and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum labels, engine cleanliness percentages escalate as you move up the ladder with these brands.

No other manufacturer has been successful in court, trying to get the Pennzoil document on these 'Platinum' labels removed. When a company claims in-writing they are better at the business of cleanliness amongst other leading brands - and that wording remains year-after-year, that should tell you and myself something right there.

..... and yet, I've put my two jugs of Platinum aside for now and will begin my new 2019 Hyundai OCIs using Mobil-1 EP.
Go figure! Sometimes we just don;t believe, what's right there in black & white in front of us. I have chosen to delay using Platinum. Why?..... because my new Hyundai engine is not dirty yet and may never get dirty, after looking at so many pics of engine-innards that use Mobil-1/EP.

Non-Direct Injection?

Top Tier Gas - Unlike DI, the injectors will spray the detergent rich fuel on the back of the intake valves.
Fuel additives - Gumout, Techron... anything with PEA as they will do the same as above if you have no access to Top Tier.
Synthetic Oil - Use any reputable Synthetic without worry. Mobil1, Pnzl Ultra/Platinum, Valvoline Syn, QSUD, EDGE, Magnatec, STech etc...

https://toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/
https://newsroom.aaa.com/2016/07/aaa-not-gasoline-created-equal/
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3014106
https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/23715/conventional-vs-synthetic-oil

Last edited:
A friend of mine used to "clean" his chambers and pistons. I think the method he used was more comical than effective. He'd have some one rev the engine to about 10RMP's below valve float (this was before rev limiters) while he poured a quart of ATF down the carb.This would create clouds of smoke that could be seen from space. We would laugh like [censored], but he swore it worked.

crackmeup2.gif
makes no sense, have anything to back this up, Pennz Platinum is in my 17 Regal GS 2.0T so she'll stay clean from the start, no need to jump ship after 50+ years of Pennzoil.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

No. Just make sure your injectors are functioning properly. All pistons have some carbon, just because it's present doesn't mean it's an issue.

It raises the compression, which can cause knocking, and/or cause the computer to lower the timing to compensate.

Yes I had just recently started using Pennzoil Euro L 5W30, now Walmart has stopped carrying it for some reason.

Your funny there is no lawsuit for "claims removed".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back