Best filter for short change summer car?

Hello, all!

First time poster. I'm am sure this has been ask and answered a blue million times..sorry!

I have a 98 Mustang GT that I store in the winter. It only gets 2-3k of driving each summer. I drop the oil and filter before starting each spring. I have been using Pennzoil natural gas high mileage synthetic oil, and the Napa Platinum filter. However, I've heard that the Napa Platinum only filters 50% @ 20 microns? I'm guessing because of the long interval change.

Question is, what filter would filter the very best and the most particles given I'm only putting 2-3k on that filter. Inexpensive if possible 😊.

I hope that question makes sense!? Thanks!

Regards

Hello, all!

First time poster. I'm am sure this has been ask and answered a blue million times..sorry!

I have a 98 Mustang GT that I store in the winter. It only gets 2-3k of driving each summer. I drop the oil and filter before starting each spring. I have been using Pennzoil natural gas high mileage synthetic oil, and the Napa Platinum filter. However, I've heard that the Napa Platinum only filters 50% @ 20 microns? I'm guessing because of the long interval change.

Question is, what filter would filter the very best and the most particles given I'm only putting 2-3k on that filter. Inexpensive if possible 😊.

I hope that question makes sense!? Thanks!

Regards
I'd just put on a Fram Ultra and run the filter a couple years better filter efficiency at 99% plus than most filters have. At two years the cost would be negligible. The cost of most cheap filters would be $4 a year and change and not as efficient as the Ultra. In fact if I was running Synthetic I'd run that filter three years.

Wow, thanks for the warm welcome and fast response!

Funny, I use to run both the Fram Ultra and the Gold, I only changed because the platinum was on sale and NAPA said it filtered better. As a matter of fact while I was looking through the cabinets in the garage just now, I found both a Gold AND an Ultra..So I guess that answers that! I do like the idea of running one 2 years.

I wish I would have ask this question years ago.

Thanks all!
Regards

Fram TG2 (Walmart) or Wix 51372 (OReilly)/Napa Gold 1372

For your use, there's no point in stepping up to the XG2 (Gold Ultra Guard). Both have the same efficiency. You'd just be wasting money IMO.

The position of the bypass won't matter for you car since it's not a 3v, so you might as well take advantage of the extra filter media capacity of a dome end bypass versus a thread end bypass like an FL-820s.

Or, an FL820s would also work just fine.

There won't be a difference in the filter choices . Don't let the filtering microns stir your thoughts.

If you're changing once a year, what's an extra 5 bucks? 42 cents a month? I'd put the best filter on there, and not consider it a waste if I change it out after 2-3k. Just my opinion. :)

If you're changing once a year, what's an extra 5 bucks? 42 cents a month? I'd put the best filter on there, and not consider it a waste if I change it out after 2-3k. Just my opinion. :)
Thanks himemsys, yeah, I had the Fram Ultra in the garage and didn't even know it. Will probably use the Napa Gold I have next year!

I have same mustang . MCFL820S . Even my 2003 mustang cobra I did leave the MCFL820S for 2 years but for 500 miles .
Hey, MetalSlug..Thanks, I just picked up a 2 pack of the MCFL802S at Walmart for $7.99, Can't beat that! I did have one question, ever have an issue with a dry start with those? I only mention it because someone was saying there was a problem with the anti drain back for a while?

When I got my liscense,1992,i was just turning 17. A mechanic,at my Mobil has station,said,I should use only, 93 octane.I drove a 83 Buick century,dad had a 91 saturn. Said it had extra detergency,too keep the postings clean,than 87 octane.but also told me,regarding oil filters,too use ,at that time,OEM..because they were designed,with the correct bypass valve, and the higher filtering efficiency,was much better,than over the counter stuff,and especially fram.Said gram was garbage..even then,a.c. Delco was about 98% @ 30 microns. Said the filter would catch enough smaller particles by oil change,3000 miles
By 1996, purpose of came out with pureone..most 99%@20 microns. Gram tough guard,1997,same...99%@20 microns.but a few studys,demonstration..projects on youtube,concluded the best filtering,air filters only mind you,was wix...then purolator..then Oem. FRam,the rest....garbage.let too many particles through. One !just think then,their oil filters.
Use to with pureones.just stay on 3000 mile changes,their known too tear.you wanna filter as much as you can,especialy,stop and go driving.he even told me that,1992.especially driving..the more efficiency percentage,the better.

Back