Best Dino oil for cold weather climate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. I am learning a lot from this website and wanted to ask what is the best dino oil out there for this cold weather and my driving habits.
Currently I live in Montreal, Canada and using 10w30 Castrol in my Taurus SHO. I start the car in 40ºF (heated garage) and drive it to work (4 miles one way) and park it outside where it averages from -10ºF to 5ºF. Then I use my automatic remote starter which starts the vehicle every 2 hours to "keep" the fluids warm.
What are your opinions, should I stick with Castrol's 10w-30 or should I use another dino oil. I don't use synthetics because I change my oil every 3 months/3K miles. Thanks.

Use a 5W-30 in the winter. Or use a synthetic 5W-30 for just the winter oil change.

I don't like to idle an engine to warm it. I prefer to start it and drive it easy as soon as it's driveable.

Ken

[ March 03, 2003, 09:13 PM: Message edited by: Ken2 ]

I think you are doing far more damage by idling the car
nono.gif
just to "keep the fluids warm". In that type of climate, I would use a good quality synthetic in the 0W30 grade and change the oil every 5K miles to offset your cost increase.

Castrol GTX doesn't have very good cold weather properties, I'd say next winter you should run either Pennzoil 5w30 or Havoline 5w30, both of which have very good cold weather behavior.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
Castrol GTX doesn't have very good cold weather properties, I'd say next winter you should run either Pennzoil 5w30 or Havoline 5w30, both of which have very good cold weather behavior.

Am I reading that Right? Doesnt everyone in here give praise to GTX? And I asked if using 5w-30 to break in an engine was ok, and everyone said yes....
frown.gif
I havent changed the oil yet from what came in the factory. Should I consider something else?

GTX does show very good wear numbers, but it's not so stellar cold weather properties mean it's better to be used in a warmer climate.

[ March 04, 2003, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

quote:

GTX does show very good wear numbers, but it's not so stellar cold weather properties mean it's better to be used in a warmer climate.

So what non-synthetic oil brand should I use for winter?

quote:

Originally posted by -Tommy-:

quote:

So what non-synthetic oil brand should I use for winter?

Out of the stuff commonly available to us Canadians, Pennzoil and Havoline have the best cold weather properties out of the dino oils. Although if it gets down below -25C where you live, I'd highly suggest going with synthetic for the winter.

[ March 05, 2003, 05:43 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]

I would recommend Havoline 5w-30. I use it in MN and all winter it is -20f at night. If you have colder than -30f go with a synthetic.

I use Pennzoil dino in temperatures around -35C and had no problems. Considering the temperature, it builds up pressure well.

For cold weather starting, I've found cheap ole Coastal to do very well in 20 degree weather. Only reason I used this stuff was to do an auto-rx treatment cause it was cheap. But I went from GTX HM 10w40 to Coastal HM (high mileage) 10w40, and the first cold start there was a noticeably quicker pressure build up with the Coastal, pretty much instantaneous whereas the GTX took about at least a second to build pressure.

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back