Best dino for my apps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
'94 tercel
'02 malibu
'03 V6 (3.4L) Tundra

Ive got 2 cases of Castrol GTX 5W30 in the garage. I stocked up at $1.25 a quart, since I was previously informed that it was about the best dino money can buy. Now Im seeing mixed opinions on this website. Can someone set me straight on a good, readily available dino for my sleds?

Side note: Can I make my own syn blend by adding a quart of mobil 1 and the rest dino on an oil change?

Thanks!
FL-400S

I belive the Havoline stuff is a very well ballenced package and Caltex, or as you might say Texaco has done alot of work over the years to prove that some of there
engine oils with a 'mineral oil' base perform better in terms of engine
wear and handling engine deposits etc than the Synthetics.

The best dinos are:

Chevron Supreme
Penzoil
Castrol GTX.

I just finished an Auto-rx wash using Castrol GTX.
The UOA matched Redline for a 3,000 mile OCI. GTX is a good dino. I prefer syntheics but if you must use dino, GTX is one of the best.

quote:

Originally posted by FL-400S:

Side note: Can I make my own syn blend by adding a quart of mobil 1 and the rest dino on an oil change?

You can make it but it will not perform like a formulated blend will .

I always like to add Motorcraft to the best dino list . It will definately hold it's own and work well in your three cars .

Don't worry about the 2 cases you bought. After you use them up, change to something with less VI additive like 5w20 or 5w30 blend. Brand depends on personal preferance and what's available in your region.

Well I wasnt gonna throw it out or anything! hehe I havent seen Chevron or Havoline in my local stores. As long as GTX is pretty decent, Ill stick with it. Im actually using up some Exxon in my old Tercel.

How about Castrol Syntec blend? Its about $12 for 5 quarts at walmart, not too bad compared to $9 for GTX. If Syntec is any good I might buy some on sale.

quote:

Originally posted by FL-400S:
Well I wasnt gonna throw it out or anything! hehe I havent seen Chevron or Havoline in my local stores. As long as GTX is pretty decent, Ill stick with it. Im actually using up some Exxon in my old Tercel.

How about Castrol Syntec blend? Its about $12 for 5 quarts at walmart, not too bad compared to $9 for GTX. If Syntec is any good I might buy some on sale.

Check the UOA section for UOA's of the Syntec blend in the Toyota 3.4L V6. I remember it looked pretty good. I don't think I'd want to try running GTX to the full 7500 mile interval in that engine without doing a UOA along the way...

GTX 5w30 is a great oil. I put 138,000 trouble free miles on a '92 Ranger and 70,000 trouble free miles on a '97 Ranger using that oil exclusively. I am running GTX 5w20 in my '02 Ranger due to warranty issues. Can you guess what oil I will use after 36,000 Miles? I see no benefit to adding synthetic to this oil. I have a question about your user name. FL400S is a Motorcraft oil filter that fits, among other things, the 3.0 Ford. I should know, I have been driving 3.0 Rangers since 1992. Does it also fit one of your rides?

I clipped this out of my post on ST. I think that you could argue that Castrol has a weaker add pack than either Warren or Valvoline--two brands that just don't get any respect despite posting fine UOA's. Having said that, it's my belief that any SL oil will work just fine at a 3 or 4K change interval.

Castrol, Valvoline, ST (5w30 virgin dino)
Moly: 53,0,55 (ST second)
Calcium: 1720, 2249, 1934 (ST second)
Magnesium: 3,5,4 (ST second)
Phosporous: 716,791,1122 (ST first)
Zinc: 801,952,1090 (ST first)

Additive "points" with 3 for first place, 2 for second, 1 for third: SuperTech 13, Valvoline 11, Castrol 6-- yet Castrol gets accolades and Valvoline and SuperTech are constantly criticized for having weak additives.

I would absolutely use up the GTX. I put 200K on my last car with the same stuff. You can change later if you want.

I don't think it would be any benefit trying to make your own blend.

Keep an eye out for coolant leaks with that Malibu.

Mike,
Yes, the FL-400S will fit my Tercel and my Tundra. Its got the right threads, right gasket (for tundra) and my tercel can handle a bit bigger gasket. The bypass pressures are perfect for these toyotas. And I can get them $2.77 at walmart instead of pure 1 for $6 at pepboys. Actually the primary reason I joined this forum was to find out if I could run a FL-400S on my vehicles. I knew the TRD filter for V8 tundras was an FL-1A equivalent, but the FL-1A wont fit physically on my vehicles, so the FL-400s is getting the nod.

I think I might switch to havoline after my GTX is gone, since its only about $.88/qt when GTX is $1.25 when on sale.

quote:

Originally posted by mikemc:
GTX 5w30 is a great oil. I put 138,000 trouble free miles on a '92 Ranger and 70,000 trouble free miles on a '97 Ranger using that oil exclusively. I am running GTX 5w20 in my '02 Ranger due to warranty issues. Can you guess what oil I will use after 36,000 Miles? I see no benefit to adding synthetic to this oil. I have a question about your user name. FL400S is a Motorcraft oil filter that fits, among other things, the 3.0 Ford. I should know, I have been driving 3.0 Rangers since 1992. Does it also fit one of your rides?

[ March 19, 2004, 12:33 AM: Message edited by: FL-400S ]

You can usually get Chevron Supreme for 99 cents with Checker/Shucks/Kragen Newspaper coupons in the Sunday paper. Then, they almost always give you the rebate card as well, for 69 cents per quart. I love doing oil changes for less than 5 bucks!

quote:

Originally posted by Drew99GT:
You can usually get Chevron Supreme for 99 cents with Checker/Shucks/Kragen Newspaper coupons in the Sunday paper. Then, they almost always give you the rebate card as well, for 69 cents per quart. I love doing oil changes for less than 5 bucks!

I know what you mean. I always get a kick from doing a good but inexpensive dino/filter change, then seeing people lined up at the fast lube for $22 a pop!
lol.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Santo Fontana:
When I use dino oils I stay away from the 5w30s and stick to the 10w30s.

Both of my newer vehicles spec 5W30 right on the oil fill cap. I guess Im just a lemming
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by M104-AMG:
Mobil Delvac 1300 or Chevron Delo 400 both in 15w40.

1-gallon jug is under $5.00.

:) neil

Those are diesel oils, right? The seem a little heavy for my cars which recommend 5W30. Are they syn blends?

Walmart here has started carrying Chevron Supreme now for $1.14 a quart. Havoline is $1.46. Castrol GTX in a 5 quart for $6.88 ($1.37/qt). I got the GTX before for $1.25 on sale at kmart. Wally world has low prices but rare sales.

quote:

Originally posted by mikemc:
FL400S is a Motorcraft oil filter that fits, among other things, the 3.0 Ford. I should know, I have been driving 3.0 Rangers since 1992. Does it also fit one of your rides?

Isn't that 3.0 a great engine (albeit a bit weak on power)? My wife's Aerostar ('92) has the 3.0 and it is the best running engine we have. I love driving it. As for FL400S, I just put an FL1A on the 3.0 Aerostar the other day. Everything fits the same. Gasket is slightly bigger around, but I measured the gasket mating surface on my pickup that takes FL1A and the 3.0 and the OD of the mating surface is the same. ID differs with the Aerostar being smaller. So the FL1A is fine. You might have to move the starter hot lead 180 degrees though. Wouldn't want the battery hot to short to the filter now, would we?
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back