Best car for smart people..

Status
Not open for further replies.
That website is doing what we all are trying, looking around the corner for "value" in that diamond in the rough. Once used car shopping, though, the herd is looking for this same goal, driving prices up on "good" cars and depressing "bad" ones.

After sorting through the chaff, you might find that tauruses from 1986-2002 blew transmissions but 2003-2004 finally fixed it, for example, but the name is forever tainted and the cars are a good bargain.

Conversely, a shady used car dealer could take a flooded out camry with tape over the idiot lights and sell it in a week.

By the time one spends hundreds of hours doing internet research, running carfaxes, etc, they could learn to spin a wrench and add their own value.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
Im getting close to retiring my work car/swiss army 2001 forester. Nearing 400K miles and no end in sight for the old girl..she is great for in town errands and local errands but she is too tired for long hauls.

As a Forester owner and someone who has spent 7 years on Forester.org... Your old EJ would have required at least 2 HG replacements. Several timing belts including at least one changeout of idlers, tensioner, and water pump. Also a number of rear wheel bearing changeouts.

Foresters get needy over 100+ k miles....ask me how I know.

Last edited:
[/quote]
As a Forester owner and someone who has spent 7 years on Forester.org... Your old EJ would have required at least 2 HG replacements. Several timing belts including at least one changeout of idlers, tensioner, and water pump. Also a number of rear wheel bearing changeouts.

Foresters get needy over 100+ k miles....ask me how I know. [/quote]

I bought two of them at the same time, both were used to sell lubricants to coal mines in west virginia. One had front damage to the passenger front wheel from being run in the ditch, the other overheated within 30 minutes of driving. I paid $600 for both..and was going to fix them up and sell them. I ran into a mechanic that needed a car to get back and forth to work, so i bartered the head gasket job for the wrecked subaru. I think mine had around 220K on it at the time and the other around 275K.

I went ahead with a new timing belt while he had the motor apart but didnt do water pump or anything else. I havent changed it or anything since. I put whatever oil is cheapest (super s multiflo stash from kmart) and the cheap filter from napa..usually around 6000 miles or so. And yes i have done the rear wheel bearings once. I am on the fence about doing another timing belt job, at this point it may outweigh the value of the vehicle.. but if it breaks i will always wonder how many miles it would have made it..

The subaru he got in trade turned out nicer than mine after he found a set of rims. But he never did a timing belt or headgaskets in his..his didnt overheat but poured the oil. i think it was using a quart of oil a month and he didnt change the oil at all while i was around him..because of adding it. I see it still going from time to time, he gave it to his step son after his wife drove it for awhile.. my guess is its probably somewhere near 500K probably still on the same timing belt as when i bought it.

I know from my stories i should stay subaru loyal. My seat is broke in real good, and to be honest it doesnt have any squeaks or rattles..

I'm just surprised that most of the cars on that list are small cars. While everyone thinks they're an excellent driver, there's lots of bad drivers out there. It's why I prefer mid sized or larger cars, wouldn't really want to drive any car on that list. Sometimes it's worth paying a little more for safety. Plus at this stage in my life, I like having luxury features and most small cars don't really have them.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
I'm just surprised that most of the cars on that list are small cars. While everyone thinks they're an excellent driver, there's lots of bad drivers out there. It's why I prefer mid sized or larger cars, wouldn't really want to drive any car on that list. Sometimes it's worth paying a little more for safety. Plus at this stage in my life, I like having luxury features and most small cars don't really have them.

Always wanted to drive a Lincoln Town Car. Maybe one day I will rent one if they rent them. If not get one of the older versions with possibly bench type front seats. Looks comfortable in the movies.

Neither a Honda fit nor a matrix appear to me to be smart choices for the criteria you mention. Will they go that distance? MT versions will, I'm sure. But so will tons of other vehicles from varied manufacturers.

If they make an my forester still, I can't see why given your success, that wouldn't be the first choice. My parents recently bought one and love it, and it's obvious that the forester has done well by you.

Here is a very recent UOA of an '07 Fit with 212k on the odo, 21k! on the oil. Fit 21k Admittedly it is driven mostly highway with only a few cold starts.

The all new 2015 Fit retains the 1.5 liter displacement but has DI and VTC and gets a bump in both hp and tq, to 130 and 114 ft/lb, respectively. Gas mileage: 29/37 with manual; 33/41 with CVT.

I tend to agree that if you run your cars out to 400k the initial depreciation hit becomes almost irrelevant. Excellent deals are being had on new cars versus the still inflated used car market, and you have the added benefit of knowing the service history. Still, I hear you when it comes to maximizing efficiency and squeezing the buck.

Congrats on the 400k, by the way. Any pics of the odometer, or the beast itself?

My GF bought a 2015 Forester MT and loves it but I am keeping a watchful eye on oil consumption.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Neither a Honda fit nor a matrix appear to me to be smart choices for the criteria you mention. Will they go that distance? MT versions will, I'm sure. But so will tons of other vehicles from varied manufacturers.

If they make an my forester still, I can't see why given your success, that wouldn't be the first choice. My parents recently bought one and love it, and it's obvious that the forester has done well by you.

The cargo area in a matrix is i think 40" wide and 60" length and that is plenty for hauling my parts and using it as a pickup truck when needed. The automatic trans in a matrix is the bulletproof choice. They are on the same platform as a toyota corolla..and there are 500K mile testimonies. I dont see hardly any bashing of a matrix as far as practicality..

The honda fit- i will probably not want to use it as a workhorse as much im sure..this car reminds me of my college roomates Honda CRX HF. fun..great mileage..zippy. I fear that i will want to use this as a personal vehicle and want to tint the windows and keep it immaculate. Still on the fence about this one.

Subarus-
1984 subaru GL was my first- loved that car but i ran it off the road and totaled it playing in the ice. It leaked oil everywhere and would have probably blown up had i not wrecked it.
1992 subaru legacy- EJ22- this was a lemon. Would not run on anything but 93 octane without the valves rattling.. dealer gave up on it and gave me credit towards an impreza.
1994 subaru impreza- wow.. great car. I abused the [censored] out of this one. I towed a u haul once when i moved 500 miles with the thermostat stuck open in the middle of winter. The trailer was so heavy that the front end bounced off the ground, the temp gauge was all the way cold and no heat..the engine was running so rich i think i was getting 10mpg. I had to hammer it hard to get up the hills and i think i ruined a bearing in the transmission because it went out shortly after that. I think i sold it with almost 400K miles to a college student that gave me $100 down and never paid me back. I never really did anything to this car but abuse it and drove it nonstop.

1990 subaru legacy- great car. I think these early ones were built in Japan. I bought this one for $500. I remember going to the dealer with the vin and they said it was one of the first 1000 to be imported to the US. I was offered $1500 for it and i sold it within a month of owning it.

1998 Forester- i bought this one to flip.. was one tooth off on the timing belt and i fixed that quick and made profit. I didnt like this one compared to my 2001..just seemed like a lesser vehicle.

2004 Forester- My wife was rear ended in her lexus and wanted something safe so i found this one locally. It wasnt really for sale but i talked the guy into it. Its nice and clean, but its a lemon. We are probably going to sell it.

2001 Forester- my rolling project. If i would have paid $3000 for it it would have been long gone by now...but $150? how can i? Right now im driving it illegal. There is a place in the rear fender that has a small rust hole..they wont inspect it with that hole, but that same hole was there last year and they inspected it. The check engine light has been on for 5 years, im surprised that light hasnt burned out yet..i know what it is..the catalytic converter clogged up and i cut it off and am running a dummy 02 sensor in there threaded into a spark plug fouler. It trips the light but does not affect how it runs. I could go on with whats wrong with it there is plenty..but it still starts goes and stops..lol

2014 Forester- Was going to buy this for the wife before we found the 2004. Class action lawsuit against the motor was the killer. This is probably going to be worse than the head gasket plague of the EJ25s.. time will tell

I have logged alot of hours and miles in subarus..im keeping my 2001 until it no longer will go..or someone offers me $2000 for it. Thats my 'i dont want to sell it' price.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
That website is doing what we all are trying, looking around the corner for "value" in that diamond in the rough. Once used car shopping, though, the herd is looking for this same goal, driving prices up on "good" cars and depressing "bad" ones.

After sorting through the chaff, you might find that tauruses from 1986-2002 blew transmissions but 2003-2004 finally fixed it, for example, but the name is forever tainted and the cars are a good bargain.

Conversely, a shady used car dealer could take a flooded out camry with tape over the idiot lights and sell it in a week.

By the time one spends hundreds of hours doing internet research, running carfaxes, etc, they could learn to spin a wrench and add their own value.

+1

Originally Posted By: k24a4
Here is a very recent UOA of an '07 Fit with 212k on the odo, 21k! on the oil. Fit 21k Admittedly it is driven mostly highway with only a few cold starts.

The all new 2015 Fit retains the 1.5 liter displacement but has DI and VTC and gets a bump in both hp and tq, to 130 and 114 ft/lb, respectively. Gas mileage: 29/37 with manual; 33/41 with CVT.

I tend to agree that if you run your cars out to 400k the initial depreciation hit becomes almost irrelevant. Excellent deals are being had on new cars versus the still inflated used car market, and you have the added benefit of knowing the service history. Still, I hear you when it comes to maximizing efficiency and squeezing the buck.

Congrats on the 400k, by the way. Any pics of the odometer, or the beast itself?

My GF bought a 2015 Forester MT and loves it but I am keeping a watchful eye on oil consumption.

Thats a stellar report on that Fit, i think there are also some under valve cover pics that i saw the other day that looked fantastic. I am on the fence about DI and CVT..i remember reading some bad stuff about DI in the hyundais. I need to drive one..i read where they are fun and almost like driving a go kart. I am leaning towards the fit being a personal vehicle more than a workhorse. What is the RPM of the CVT at 70mph now? lower or the same?

I havent had a personal vehicle in 5 years..since this Forester became my workhorse and daily driver. Wife hates to ride in my 2001 so we usually take her 2004.. the seats have been caked with grease and dirt and farts for so many years that she smell is rough in there. I spilled 5 gallons of diesel in there and a whole jug of acid truck wash as well.

Pics? yeah i need to get some.. i just remembered that the odometer wasnt working when i got it... i forget if it was a sensor or what. I never did follow up and get the true mileage now that i think about it..it could have 500K on it?? wow. I should have took a picture of it a month ago.. every light was on. check engine, battery, ABS, oil. I was worried that the end was near but the alternator was roaring pretty bad so i changed it with a used one my buddy had and the battery and oil lights went out. something must have been shorting out.

Originally Posted By: kozanoglu
Originally Posted By: Wolf359

Always wanted to drive a Lincoln Town Car. Maybe one day I will rent one if they rent them. If not get one of the older versions with possibly bench type front seats. Looks comfortable in the movies.

Driving a Mercedes that's a few years old. They can be had for under $20k. Has a lot of luxury features that's starting to creep into regular new cars. Like one touch lane change signaling. Not so new that it has blind spot or lane assistance. Xenon is still rare although some new cars like the Corolla has LED headlights. The big difference I've noticed with it driving that I wasn't really expecting was how quiet and smooth it is vs regular cars. Still getting used to that. Keyless entry is also neat where you just have to pull the door handles and hit the start button. Means you can keep the fob in your pocket/purse the whole time. I think on some newer cars, they have a start button, but still require that you hit the button to unlock/lock the doors. Front and rear parking sensors are starting to be more common. I don't think memory power seats or a power trunk closer is that common yet though.

Buy something new so you can write if off, a small SUV or pickup to carry parts with.

Last edited:
I am typically very adverse to tiny cars but the FIT I was quite impressed with all around on a recent longer drive. I have rented some low rent cars like Sonic, Versa, Yaris, Fiesta, Kia's but the Fit was a great balance of the nice features in small car that feels really a lot bigger then it is.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
I find it remarkable that the website actually says a 2005-2009 Ford Focus is a "smart" choice.

please....esplain

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
I find it remarkable that the website actually says a 2005-2009 Ford Focus is a "smart" choice.

please....esplain

I guess he doesn't like his much? It's not the greatest car in the universe, but it was the best value in the cheap to run 4cyl manual trans used wagon market I could find...

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy

please....esplain

I guess he doesn't like his much? It's not the greatest car in the universe, but it was the best value in the cheap to run 4cyl manual trans used wagon market I could find...

You got it...great car for about 2 years. After that? Not so much....piece of poor engineering and cheap parts.

I won't go into it as some nut-job on here gets all worked up when I complain about it.

In my opinion....not a smart choice in used vehicles.

i tend to agree.

As an owner on my third Focus, I don't think I'll be getting another one of the Mk1, 1.5 or 2. Seem far too cheaply built, and I find road noise (even with great tires) is far more pronounced than it should be.

I'll run this thing into the ground knowing it's bought and paid for.

Next time around, I think I'll take my chances on a slightly older midsize car.

If you drive by the numbers get the new Mitsubishi Mirage.

74 hp, 3 cylinders, and the lightest weight car that's not a Smart 42. Around $12k.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
If you drive by the numbers get the new Mitsubishi Mirage.

74 hp, 3 cylinders, and the lightest weight car that's not a Smart 42. Around $12k.

I just might do that when my Focus pukes (shouldn't be long).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back