Best Choice/Deal in the Midsize Market?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: k24a4
Like others have said, Mazda6 or Accord Sport.

I can understand your trepidation with regard to the Honda CVT, but I would not let it override the merits of this current gen and here is why:

The Accord is Honda's flagship, with a stellar reputation. That reputation took a bit of a hit with the rather lackluster design of the previous generation. Couple that with the tepid Civic redesign, and, Imo you have a company focused on regaining its footing, with something to prove. This, by the way, is not even mentioning the incredible competition in this market segment.

The transmission issues of the past were with the v6 equipped Accords from '97 to 2002.

Honda is late coming to market with CVT and DI, advancements that are here to stay. Trust me, they have done their homework. There is no indication of any DI or CVT related issues with the current gen Accord, which has been on sale since last November (and selling well), and in all probability has several million miles collectively accrued.

Bitog recently had several uoa's posted on the new DI Accord, and it is looking good.

AHM stands behind their products. They were known to be quite generous with the aforementioned v6 transmission issues, and, in general, are regarded as being above average when dealing with Warranty claims. I'm referring to the parent company. Individual dealership experiences may vary.

In short, while I think your concerns about the new Accord may have some degree of merit, as they concern the CVT and DI, I would not let them overshadow the overall package or override your decision to keep it on the list.

That said, if I were in the market I'd be taking the Mazda6 out for some spins as well.

Thanks for this input! To soften the blow, I am now looking at 1-2 year old Accord EX and EX-Ls. I'm dropping my stupid requirement for nav, as honestly, a dashmount unit is probably better and cheaper than getting updates for a built in unit, and I use nav once or twice a week at most. For the cost of getting built-in nav, I could get a top of the line Garmin.

What do you think of the previous generation Accords? They may not be the "best" styling, that's for sure, but reliability and economy wise? My insurance loves them and would drop my yearly cost by nearly $300 from my Corolla.

The 2008-2012 Accord is the worst generation Accord ever. It's ugly, bloated, the interior is low rent and I'd prefer a 2011 Corolla over it.

Nothing beats built in nav, Bluetooth and satellite radio, I would never buy another car without it. Why make sacrifices? You did that with the Corolla and you are miserable.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Nothing beats built in nav, Bluetooth and satellite radio, I would never buy another car without it.

Funny, I don't own a cellphone, I can loop up directions on my portable nav unit that costs way less than in dash nav costs, and satellite radio is absolutely horrible for sound quality in a car in my experiences, so I'm the opposite of you, and wouldn't pay a dime extra for any of those options.

In fact, the sound quality on the HD radio in my CX-5 is simply stunning in comparison to the XM satellite in my fiance's Bose Equipped Fiat 500 Abarth. I'd rather have HD radio in the car, and play CD's when I'm on a long distance trip in between radio stations, than suffer through great music sounding horrible.

BC.

Originally Posted By: smc733
Random question for you guys. But when a salesman asks you for a credit card to give you numbers, and then when you don't like those numbers, asks again in order to "do the numbers you want", am I right in thinking to run, fast?

Why the heck would a salesman need your credit card number in order to ask his boss how much they can sell you a car for? Are you sure you didn't mean Social Security Number instead?

Either way, you shouldn't give either one of those numbers to a sales guy, if you're just asking about the price of a car.

I hope you didn't give your credit card number to a salesman.
If you did, I highly recommend that you check your credit card balance online to make sure they didn't just steal money from you.

BC.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
Nothing beats built in nav, Bluetooth and satellite radio, I would never buy another car without it.

Funny, I don't own a cellphone, I can loop up directions on my portable nav unit that costs way less than in dash nav costs, and satellite radio is absolutely horrible for sound quality in a car in my experiences, so I'm the opposite of you, and wouldn't pay a dime extra for any of those options.

In fact, the sound quality on the HD radio in my CX-5 is simply stunning in comparison to the XM satellite in my fiance's Bose Equipped Fiat 500 Abarth. I'd rather have HD radio in the car, and play CD's when I'm on a long distance trip in between radio stations, than suffer through great music sounding horrible.

BC.

To each his own. If you want to stick to AM radio, print newspapers, a book of CDs and the postal service, more power to you.

I'll move ahead with the times and keep my smart phone, in dash nav, hands free Bluetooth and satellite radio. When you're traveling in the middle of no where and there is no radio reception, it sure is nice to keep up with the news, talk and even some music with SiriusXM.

Why the heck would a salesman need your credit card number in order to ask his boss how much they can sell you a car for? Are you sure you didn't mean Social Security Number instead?

Either way, you shouldn't give either one of those numbers to a sales guy, if you're just asking about the price of a car.

If you did, I highly recommend that you check your credit card balance online to make sure they didn't just steal money from you.

BC.

He was asking me to hand over a credit card out of my wallet, not just the number. He needed it to "show I was serious". I declined the first time, and he said ok, it's just to make you look more serious to get better numbers. Needless to say, we were worlds apart (they lowballed my trade).

Flash forward and I make a RIDICULOUS counteroffer (5k below their previous offer), and he comes back and says "well, they're gonna do that", I just need your credit card. I said "no, now I'm uncomfortable, give me my keys, I'll be on my way". The sales manager comes over, and he introduces himself, and has no knowledge of the counter offer (9k between a Corolla and an Accord Sport), so the salesman was flat out lying. I just want to make sure I didn't walk away from a good thing, but now I can clearly see bad things were about to go down.

As far as tech. Bluetooth is a definite nice, nav can go either way, but unless you keep buying cars, built-in nav will probably go out of date faster than you can replace with dash-mounts or phones, but there is no denying how nice and elegant it is to have nav built right in.

Satellite radio, I don't drive out of metro/suburbs, so I can't really comment on that, though I suppose it would be nice for long drives from MA to NJ and back.

Integrated nav is sometimes nice to have, just from an integration/ergonomics standpoint. But I've gotta agree with you on satellite radio - due to the fact that they want to squeeze in more channels using the limited bandwidth that they have, they compress the content so much that it sounds like poop. For people who value good sound quality, it is really painful to listen to satellite radio.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Integrated nav is sometimes nice to have, just from an integration/ergonomics standpoint. But I've gotta agree with you on satellite radio - due to the fact that they want to squeeze in more channels using the limited bandwidth that they have, they compress the content so much that it sounds like poop. For people who value good sound quality, it is really painful to listen to satellite radio.

I agree satellite radio is not for the audiophile - the stations are compressed, the advantage is you're able to listen to the same station over hundreds of miles. In addition to music, they offer talk radio, news and Howard Stern.

Also in my market, Clear Channel and CBS bought all the radio stations, so we have 1 classic rock and 1 alternative rock station to choose from. The playlist hasn't changed in 15 years - if I hear a Sublime or Bush song one more time, the radio will end up in the middle of the road. Hearing Santeria or Machine Head in HD is still torture no matter how good the sound quality is.

Haha... thank god for smartphones... I typically bring my own music with me for the road, and you can easily stream just about any free station through your phone as well. Just watch your data usage (if you're on a limited plan).

Go with the 2013 Sport, it is better in every way to the previous 8th gen.

Haha... thank god for smartphones... I typically bring my own music with me for the road, and you can easily stream just about any free station through your phone as well. Just watch your data usage (if you're on a limited plan).

Agreed, that works great until you get out of a metropolitan area and have spotty data coverage.

Agreed, that works great until you get out of a metropolitan area and have spotty data coverage.

It seems like the quality of streamed stuff is pretty absymal unless you pay for the premium to get decent quality. I am lucky to have a upper end system in my used Acura MDX but at the same time it really makes it known when quality is cruddy.

Which is when I switch to my local music library.
smile.gif

I enjoy the sound of quiet while driving. After a few hours I might need a break; easy to have a few albums on a thumb drive or a mp3 disc. So I'm becoming all for the fancy stereo with USB and aux in, and Bluetooth too, even tho I make about five minutes of calls per month.

Satellite was nice, but after a while I found myself flipping thro the channels just like on fm. Might pick it up again in a few years, see if there is any music I might be missing out on.

BC.

He was asking me to hand over a credit card out of my wallet, not just the number. He needed it to "show I was serious". I declined the first time, and he said ok, it's just to make you look more serious to get better numbers. Needless to say, we were worlds apart (they lowballed my trade).

Flash forward and I make a RIDICULOUS counteroffer (5k below their previous offer), and he comes back and says "well, they're gonna do that", I just need your credit card. I said "no, now I'm uncomfortable, give me my keys, I'll be on my way". The sales manager comes over, and he introduces himself, and has no knowledge of the counter offer (9k between a Corolla and an Accord Sport), so the salesman was flat out lying. I just want to make sure I didn't walk away from a good thing, but now I can clearly see bad things were about to go down.

As far as tech. Bluetooth is a definite nice, nav can go either way, but unless you keep buying cars, built-in nav will probably go out of date faster than you can replace with dash-mounts or phones, but there is no denying how nice and elegant it is to have nav built right in.

Satellite radio, I don't drive out of metro/suburbs, so I can't really comment on that, though I suppose it would be nice for long drives from MA to NJ and back.

In all likelihood asking for the card was so they could check your credit score. A dealership once asked to make a copy of my license for presumabbly the same reason and I said, "No thanks." I would caution about giving them personal information until you are ready to buy.

BC.

In all likelihood asking for the card was so they could check your credit score. A dealership once asked to make a copy of my license for presumabbly the same reason and I said, "No thanks." I would caution about giving them personal information until you are ready to buy.

Oh it's all a trick just to get you to do everything they say so that they are in control. The last couple new cars I bought I just negotiated over email, it was so much easier.

In all likelihood asking for the card was so they could check your credit score.

Didn't know that was even possible. Wouldn't they need your SS number anyway?

BC.

Oh it's all a trick just to get you to do everything they say so that they are in control. The last couple new cars I bought I just negotiated over email, it was so much easier.

+1. Been doing this for years, and then finish the deal over the phone.
Last new car took 25 minutes, including the time it took to write/construct the e-mail. Beats 4-5 hours at a dealership playing games.

BC.

To each his own. If you want to stick to AM radio, print newspapers, a book of CDs and the postal service, more power to you.

I'll move ahead with the times and keep my smart phone, in dash nav, hands free Bluetooth and satellite radio. When you're traveling in the middle of no where and there is no radio reception, it sure is nice to keep up with the news, talk and even some music with SiriusXM.

Why would I want an integrated system in a car? It will be obsolete in no time...and it does NOTHING I can't already do. My phone has a GPS, it can play MP3's, I can stream music (or talk radio, as I am doing now) from it. When (not if) it breaks, fixing it will cost a fortune. I would pay a premium to NOT get all that garbage.

I held Pandora through some pretty remote areas last Power Tour...and if I lose it, I have my own music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back