Best Choice/Deal in the Midsize Market?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone,

I had a few threads here a few months ago, before moving, about wanting to trade my 2011 Corolla in for something that, you know, actually can accelerate, and can handle better on the highway. I tried some various fixes for my car, such as messing with the tire pressure, but ultimately, I think a heavier, more comfortable car is really just going to be the answer to what upsets me about my car literally every time I drive it. And yes, I'll say it, perhaps I could deal with the car requiring me to stand on the gas just to get to 65, or clutch the wheel and hope for the best when going between two cars on the highway, but there's only so much I'm willing to hate a car every day just to save money and stay with a "reliable" Toyota. To be honest, I feel like I'm driving a shopping cart, and I'd also prefer something that would be safer in an accident than a small car.

I want a midsize car, I am young, a bit better off now (more income) than I was a few months ago, and can comfortably afford about 12k more after my trade for a new car (but spending less is ALWAYS welcome). I do not want something ultra flashy, expensive, expensive to insure, etc... Not looking for a MB/BMW/Infiniti, etc...

Whatever I get MUST be an automatic, as comfort is a necessity with all of the highway/city driving I do. I do not want to go back to shifting (as much as I loved my old RSX...). I also strongly prefer to have NAV, but it is not a requirement.

I've looked at the following vehicles:

Honda Accord EX/Sport - EX feels sluggish with the CVT, kind of large feeling, and overall meh. The Sport still (obviously) has that large feeling, but the performance is MUCH better (despite only having 4hp more). Something to do with the tuning of the CVT, perhaps? I worry on this one about costly CVT issues down the road, alongside DI issues. Oddly this would lower my insurance.

Nissan Altima (2.5 SV) - This feels like a good balance to me (nicely equipped for a good price (esp Nav), good balance of accel and great gas milage, and comfortable), but there are TONS of reported issues with them, CVT, power steering, etc... Also, this is expensive to insure, I'd love to know why?

Toyota Camry (2.5 XLE) - Meh, do I have to get another penalty box?

Hyundai Sonata - IMO the styling is a little eccentric and feminine for my tastes. The ride felt unrefined, and there is no way that feels like 198hp. Would prefer it over my Corolla, but not for what they're asking on them.

Ford Fusion - Another one with (only interior for this one) styling that I just don't like. Why does the tach have to be digital w/Nav? The 2.5 feels sluggish, and reliability worries me on "Ecoboost" models.

Chrysler 200 Limited - I can't shake the feeling this is a good deal for all you get, but a terrible long-term purchase when it gets re-designed. I can understand some flaws (visibility being one) as to why this car gets panned, but the V6 is so nice, and it's a nice looking car inside and out. You can get one fully loaded (I think I'd pass on the 18" wheels, go 17" to save $$$ next time tires are need) for so cheap. I'm sure there's another reason not to get one, but I hear the reliability has improved. Something about this one makes me smile every time I see it.

Chevy Malibu - Styling just doesn't get my heart racing, nice ride, but pretty much an American Camry.

Nothing German/Expensive to fix is in the radar for me, nor is a Kia. So am I being ridiculous? Am I over-worrying about every car's problems, or has the marketplace competition heated up so badly in the midsize market that it has forced expensive reliability nightmares down the road? I'd love to hear some thoughts about not only which car to get, but the topic of the shifting market/reliability.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: smc733
Honda Accord EX/Sport - EX feels sluggish with the CVT, kind of large feeling, and overall meh. The Sport still (obviously) has that large feeling, but the performance is MUCH better (despite only having 4hp more). Something to do with the tuning of the CVT, perhaps? I worry on this one about costly CVT issues down the road, alongside DI issues. Oddly this would lower my insurance.

Get the V6 then: it won't feel sluggish, it won't have CVT, and no DI either. However, it does come with VCM.

Also, have you looked at Mazda6? Probably more fun than everything else on your list, and nice looking, both inside and out.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Get the V6 then: it won't feel sluggish, it won't have CVT, and no DI either. However, it does come with VCM.

Also, have you looked at Mazda6?

The Accord V6 - my Corolla is out of my price range, plus the insurance + gas will tip it even further over, and, as you mentioned, VCM hasn't been without its share of problems. I would feel better about diving into, say an EX V6 for maybe 26.5-27k, but sadly, one has to get an EX-L or higher to get the V6, starting at 30k.

I did drive a Mazda 6, a little too "sporty" for my taste in styling, but the drive didn't really deliver the performance to me. People are astonished when I say this, perhaps I ought to give this one another test drive.

Thanks for the input!

Start with how much cash do you have so that you can buy a car that you can afford and not lease or finance something you cant. You will already likely take a loss on a 2011 car as it is, so this is somewhat of a bad idea to begin with, IMO.

But once your financials are established, better guidance can be given.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Start with how much cash do you have so that you can buy a car that you can afford and not lease or finance something you cant. You will already likely take a loss on a 2011 car as it is, so this is somewhat of a bad idea to begin with, IMO.

But once your financials are established, better guidance can be given.

I have the cash to spend my difference here a few times over (I do have some student loans, too, but my income far exceeds my expenses, and I do have that nest-egg built up). It would be stupid not to take 0% or near 0% financing when my money can be earning a small, but still larger dividend invested.

As for the Legacy, isn't that a CVT? Subarus have always been somewhat boring to me, but looking at pics, the 2014 looks pretty nice.

As for the Legacy, isn't that a CVT? Subarus have always been somewhat boring to me, but looking at pics, the 2014 looks pretty nice.

Yes, it's a CVT, but I've heard very positive reviews of their transmissions.

As for "boring" comment, no offense, but most of the cars on your list look pretty boring to me.
smile.gif

Yes, it's a CVT, but I've heard very positive reviews of their transmissions.

As for "boring" comment, no offense, but most of the cars on your list look pretty boring to me.
smile.gif

Interesting, this weekend I'm going to go dealer-hopping, perhaps I'll swing by a Subaru dealership and check one out.

I do find most of the cars on this list boring (I'm almost looking for boring), I think the Accord and 200 were the least boring of the ones I checked out.

Last edited:
And the one that's not boring (Mazda6) you found "too sporty" looking.
lol.gif

Haha, sporty was never my taste. (Give me a million dollars and I'll get a luxury cruiser over a sports car).

I suppose the Verano may fit my price category (I haven't seen a Buick dealer around here, but I may not be paying attention). The Kia doesn't interest me.

Last edited:
I suppose the Verano may fit my price category

Except that it's a compact, not a midsize car. It actually has one less cubic foot of interior space than your Corolla.

Only 2 choices for resale,Honda or Toyota. Check out the Camry SE and/or Camry V6. Toyotas are 6 speeds.

Except that it's a compact, not a midsize car. It actually has one less cubic foot of interior space than your Corolla.

OP is looking for luxury, and it fits the bill. ILX might be worth a look also - but IMO the Verano is a better car.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Only 2 choices for resale,Honda or Toyota. Check out the Camry SE and/or Camry V6. Toyotas are 6 speeds.

Bleh, Camry SE is just...
smirk.gif
to me. The Camry XLE V6 is nice, quite a beast, test drove one (they wanted 16k after trade), but it was too expensive, too expensive to insure).

I do like the Camry's 6-speed Aisin, I rented an I4 LE, bare bones when I had a small ding fixed on the Corolla, car drove nice (was a little floaty on the highway), but the trans never felt too geared down, or like it was hunting for the right gear.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

OP is looking for luxury, and it fits the bill. ILX might be worth a look also - but IMO the Verano is a better car.

Quasi luxury, I should say, not looking to spend gobs of money, as the car will still be parked outside of a (nice) apartment complex. Not looking for crazy, just more comfort.

For example
-Power seat would be nice (for precision), as would nav, but I could care less about
-Heated seats, leather, remote start, etc...

ILX is kind of low on HP for the cost, but I've heard dealers are selling them well below MSRP, because they haven't been selling all that well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back