Best Choice/Deal in the Midsize Market?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about the brand new 2014 Impala?

I have a 2010, drives nice, very smooth and pretty good on gas for a bigger car. The 2014 is a complete redesign but has the 3.6 motor and 6 speed trans that has been out for a few years now so no weird "first model year quirks". I had the chance to drive one as a rental and they are really nice. That 3.6 and 6 speed is a really good combo.

http://www.chevrolet.com/impala-4-door-sedan.html

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: smc733

Whatever I get MUST be an automatic, as comfort is a necessity with all of the highway/city driving I do.

Approximately how many miles a year do you drive?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
As for the Legacy, isn't that a CVT? Subarus have always been somewhat boring to me, but looking at pics, the 2014 looks pretty nice.

Yes, it's a CVT, but I've heard very positive reviews of their transmissions.

As for "boring" comment, no offense, but most of the cars on your list look pretty boring to me.
smile.gif

Interesting, this weekend I'm going to go dealer-hopping, perhaps I'll swing by a Subaru dealership and check one out.

Did you end up checking out the Legacy? Full disclosure, I have a 2013 Legacy Limited so obviously I like the car.

I really like the 4 cylinder with the CVT (It's definitely on the upper end of CVT's that I've driven). It's not the world's fastest car but it's been good enough for me. Also, I've been pretty impressed getting 30mpg hwy with AWD. I see you're in Boston so maybe the AWD wouldn't be such a bad thing. If you really can't stand a CVT they do have a 6 cylinder with traditional auto trans but you're going to pay a gas penalty.

With that said, if I didn't want the AWD I would've bought the 4 cylinder Accord EX-L.

You asked the same question few months ago and despite some really good suggestions apparently it was a no go.
You never got consensus in the other thread so I don't understand why would you think that you will get one in this thread.

Since I think you already have an opinion formed as to which car to get, I'll make it easy and suggest the Accord.
Yes, go ahead and buy it, there is no point in suggesting anything else.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2947741&page=1

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
You asked the same question few months ago and despite some really good suggestions apparently it was a no go.
You never got consensus in the other thread so I don't understand why would you think that you will get one in this thread.

Since I think you already have an opinion formed as to which car to get, I'll make it easy and suggest the Accord.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2947741&page=1

...and 10 pages there! Call for help maybe?

I was thinking a lightly used I4 TSX would be perfect.

You said the Nissan Altima was expensive to insure. An Acura is less?

Who's your insurer Cannabis Mutual?

Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay

I found my Acura MDX quite cheap to insure vs our Subaru. Maybe the buyer pool no idea.

My TSX is very reasonable to insure, only slightly more than my previous Accord (mo). I hope you're not letting insurance rate speculation keep you from the cars you might otherwise consider.

Originally Posted By: gofast182

It's not surprising to me. Temple of VTEC has done dyno comparisons between the K24W and the SkyActiv engine to better understand both of them. The Mazda has a notably unimpressive peak and overall curve compared to the K24 which is why the Accord has such healthy 0-60 times. While the Mazda is slightly more efficient it's not nearly enough to make me want to give up the power of the K24. This is not to say the Mazda is bad, but objective data is showing that the benefits of SkyActiv are not that great in this case, or at least not up to what Honda did with their Earth Dreams (dumb name I know) K24W.

That makes more sense, I don't like to rev out my engines to get power (probably why I hate the Corolla), I just want enough low-end power to move smoothly. In this case, the Mazda felt like it was "dragging", if I could use a word to describe it.

Reading down the thread I was thinking TSX but someone already beat me to it! I absolutely love mine. It's fun to drive, incredibly reliable, and built like a vault. An important thing to note is that this car was designed to compete directly with the FWD A4 in Europe so if you're really paying attention to detail you'll find the interior of this car has a solidity and materials quality that even the more expensive Acuras don't quite have. Look for a Certified Pre-Owned '11-13 to get a couple styling and engine tweaks and you'll be very proud to own that car!

They're a little pricier than I thought, and I will have to see what the insurance thinks (they tend to love Hondas), and for anyone who is wondering, it is Liberty Mutual, and they are pretty much cheaper than any other quote I've gotten (Geico, Progressive, Amica, etc...). I do get a 10% discount through work, its pretty much just the unfortunate circumstance of being 22.

Originally Posted By: Huie83
How about the brand new 2014 Impala?

I have a 2010, drives nice, very smooth and pretty good on gas for a bigger car. The 2014 is a complete redesign but has the 3.6 motor and 6 speed trans that has been out for a few years now so no weird "first model year quirks". I had the chance to drive one as a rental and they are really nice. That 3.6 and 6 speed is a really good combo.

http://www.chevrolet.com/impala-4-door-sedan.html

Looks good, and I know that's a strong motor. Unless there are incentives on it, I think it's a tad out of the range I was hoping to spend, though. A friend of mine has a 2005 Impala, which she let me drive, and I would be very happy with a newer version of that ride.

Originally Posted By: ryansride2017

Approximately how many miles a year do you drive?

I drive about 18k miles a year.

Originally Posted By: glock19
As for the Legacy, isn't that a CVT? Subarus have always been somewhat boring to me, but looking at pics, the 2014 looks pretty nice.

Yes, it's a CVT, but I've heard very positive reviews of their transmissions.

As for "boring" comment, no offense, but most of the cars on your list look pretty boring to me.
smile.gif

Interesting, this weekend I'm going to go dealer-hopping, perhaps I'll swing by a Subaru dealership and check one out.

Did you end up checking out the Legacy? Full disclosure, I have a 2013 Legacy Limited so obviously I like the car.

I really like the 4 cylinder with the CVT (It's definitely on the upper end of CVT's that I've driven). It's not the world's fastest car but it's been good enough for me. Also, I've been pretty impressed getting 30mpg hwy with AWD. I see you're in Boston so maybe the AWD wouldn't be such a bad thing. If you really can't stand a CVT they do have a 6 cylinder with traditional auto trans but you're going to pay a gas penalty.

With that said, if I didn't want the AWD I would've bought the 4 cylinder Accord EX-L.

Definitely going to give this one a try this weekend. I'm not at all opposed to the way CVTs drive, if done right (I like the Altima's CVT, and the Accord Sport's, just not the regular Accord EX's). AWD would probably be nice, as my Corolla got me stuck more than once last winter. I hate getting stuck, but the 15" wheels probably don't do the Corolla much good either.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ

Yes, I know, and then I ended up moving, and this all kindof fell off my radar. There are some new developments moving toward the 2014 market, I was wondering if some views would be changing on this topic.

I can't shake the reliability concerns with the Accord's CVT/DI. While I like the car, I don't think that's the one I can end up with. If it was a traditional 5 or 6 speed auto, I probably would already have one. I'm giving that thread another read-through, though.

You'd be surprised. They hate anything Nissan I've asked them to quote (they give you an exact figure if you provide a VIN).

My TSX is very reasonable to insure, only slightly more than my previous Accord (mo). I hope you're not letting insurance rate speculation keep you from the cars you might otherwise consider.

I'm definitely not letting speculation do anything, because it's clear they pretty much throw darts at a dartboard. I am ruling out the cars known for high insurance, as I almost bit on a used C-350, then they quoted me 900/yr more than my Corolla. I figure BMW/MB/Infiniti, etc... will be an expensive car to insure, and not the cheapest to repair. IMO, since Acura isn't quite the same as Lexus, MB, etc., I figure the insurance should be similar to my RSX, but of course I will get a quote for sure. (I personally find all Acuras more than enough to ever make me happy).

There's no way to make you happy, honestly.

The list you provided has a mixture of boring looking cars, inside or out, or boring driving cars, from behind the steering wheel. The Mazda 6, as suggested by many others, is "too flashy" or "too sporty", and yet you felt that it wasn't sporty driving.

You seem to want fantastic gas mileage, but yet you are ruling out cars with DI or CVT's, because they "might" have a problem sometime in the future, but you don't know that for sure.

You would like to have AWD, but the only car in the segment with it has one of the most unoriginal interiors, and worst driving dynamics, AND it has a CVT transmission.

The Camry is also going to be an unpleasant driving experience with the 4 cylinder engine, but at least it isn't DI, or have a CVT attached to it. You just happen to already know how it will drive, because you own a Corolla, it will just have more room, and a bit more power.

Very soon, the Mazda 6 with the i-Eloop system will start hitting the US market, and it will get 40+ mpg on the highway because of the i-Eloop system. Here's the link to the article to understand what's causing it to truly be the best in class:

2014 Mazda 6: Tech Package Earns 40 MPG Highway

Honestly, though, what you really need is a large compact with better driving dynamics than your Corolla. And that isn't hard to do at all. Mazda 3 (current, or you can wait for the new 3 in a couple months which will be even better), Focus, Impreza, etc, etc. All of them should drive way better than your Corolla, and feel better on the interior than your Corolla.

Plus, they will all be less expensive for a well optioned up compact than a stripped down midsize car.

If it were me shopping for a sedan, I would pick up a Mazda 6.
If I were shopping for best mpg, I would pick up a Mazda 6 with i-Eloop.
If I needed better mpg than that, I would wait for the Mazda 6 with Skyactiv Diesel engine in several more months.

Are you starting to see a pattern there?

Best interior.
Best exterior.
Best fuel economy.
Best handling characteristics.
Best transmission.
Best technology.

But, it's all up to you.
What you like in a vehicle is probably entirely different than what I like.

BC.

The Sonata certainly felt like it had plenty of power to me.

I hated the steering in it, but for just driving around it had plenty of power and the transmission shifted smoothly. Just that dead/numb steering and the terrible feel of the pebbly vinyl wheel itself put me off. The ride and handling were like a Camry to me. Competent, but not fun.

I don't know why you would consider a Hyundai Sonata but not a Kia Optima. Mechanically, they are the same cars. (the Optima looks better to me personally)

The Optima does expose a glaring fault in Korean cars. They do not have suspension tuning down yet. The ride is a little firmer than it's sister the Sonata but it really doesn't handle any better. Leather wrapped steering wheel at least felt better but it's the same dead/numb steering with bad on center feel.

I don't like the Altima's brakes. Press the pedal: nothing, nothing, nothing, GRAB!!!!!! Every new Altima that has come in has had that same brake feel. I guess you get used to it.
21.gif
At least they are finally getting rid of the ugly mustard color dash lighting.

You can roll the dice on a Kizashi. Very good car but when it does break, I do not know if you will get parts for it.

I still have not driven the new Mazda6 and there is a reason. My Mazda6S is paid off. If I drive that [darn] thing there is a good chance that I will end up leaving my perfectly good but well worn Mazda at the dealership and go home with a new car and a new set of payments.

If you want to go a little smaller, the Cruze is very interesting. I haven't liked the Focuses (Foci?) I've driven but some people do. The new Sentra is pretty good looking but manages to come in with less power than everybody. A 20 year old Integra LS (non-vtec) makes more horsepower and very nearly as much torque out of the same size engine.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
There's no way to make you happy, honestly.

The list you provided has a mixture of boring looking cars, inside or out, or boring driving cars, from behind the steering wheel. The Mazda 6, as suggested by many others, is "too flashy" or "too sporty", and yet you felt that it wasn't sporty driving.

You seem to want fantastic gas mileage, but yet you are ruling out cars with DI or CVT's, because they "might" have a problem sometime in the future, but you don't know that for sure.

You would like to have AWD, but the only car in the segment with it has one of the most unoriginal interiors, and worst driving dynamics, AND it has a CVT transmission.

The Camry is also going to be an unpleasant driving experience with the 4 cylinder engine, but at least it isn't DI, or have a CVT attached to it. You just happen to already know how it will drive, because you own a Corolla, it will just have more room, and a bit more power.

Very soon, the Mazda 6 with the i-Eloop system will start hitting the US market, and it will get 40+ mpg on the highway because of the i-Eloop system. Here's the link to the article to understand what's causing it to truly be the best in class:

2014 Mazda 6: Tech Package Earns 40 MPG Highway

Honestly, though, what you really need is a large compact with better driving dynamics than your Corolla. And that isn't hard to do at all. Mazda 3 (current, or you can wait for the new 3 in a couple months which will be even better), Focus, Impreza, etc, etc. All of them should drive way better than your Corolla, and feel better on the interior than your Corolla.

Plus, they will all be less expensive for a well optioned up compact than a stripped down midsize car.

If it were me shopping for a sedan, I would pick up a Mazda 6.
If I were shopping for best mpg, I would pick up a Mazda 6 with i-Eloop.
If I needed better mpg than that, I would wait for the Mazda 6 with Skyactiv Diesel engine in several more months.

Are you starting to see a pattern there?

Best interior.
Best exterior.
Best fuel economy.
Best handling characteristics.
Best transmission.
Best technology.

But, it's all up to you.
What you like in a vehicle is probably entirely different than what I like.

BC.

To be honest, I don't want "sporty", as I don't really drive sporty. That said, I just feel like the Mazda didn't have enough get up and go at low RPMs, and this is apparently the case with them. I'm didn't say I wanted fantastic gas milage, just that I don't want terrible gas milage. The cost of any V6 with the exception of the 200 is more than I want to spend for car, let alone car + gas. As for DI and CVTs, it just seems like one too many people have been burned by them, and so many have told me to stay away.

I'm going to go see a Mazda 6 this weekend if I get a chance, I'm really open to giving it another look over. I will also have to see what the insurance company thinks about it, too. I'm not sure I can agree with best interior on the Mazda (though it was up there), but pretty much everything else on that list does seem to ring true. What about reliability?

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
The Sonata certainly felt like it had plenty of power to me.

I hated the steering in it, but for just driving around it had plenty of power and the transmission shifted smoothly. Just that dead/numb steering and the terrible feel of the pebbly vinyl wheel itself put me off. The ride and handling were like a Camry to me. Competent, but not fun.

I don't know why you would consider a Hyundai Sonata but not a Kia Optima. Mechanically, they are the same cars. (the Optima looks better to me personally)

The Optima does expose a glaring fault in Korean cars. They do not have suspension tuning down yet. The ride is a little firmer than it's sister the Sonata but it really doesn't handle any better. Leather wrapped steering wheel at least felt better but it's the same dead/numb steering with bad on center feel.

I don't like the Altima's brakes. Press the pedal: nothing, nothing, nothing, GRAB!!!!!! Every new Altima that has come in has had that same brake feel. I guess you get used to it.
21.gif
At least they are finally getting rid of the ugly mustard color dash lighting.

You can roll the dice on a Kizashi. Very good car but when it does break, I do not know if you will get parts for it.

I still have not driven the new Mazda6 and there is a reason. My Mazda6S is paid off. If I drive that [darn] thing there is a good chance that I will end up leaving my perfectly good but well worn Mazda at the dealership and go home with a new car and a new set of payments.

If you want to go a little smaller, the Cruze is very interesting. I haven't liked the Focuses (Foci?) I've driven but some people do. The new Sentra is pretty good looking but manages to come in with less power than everybody. A 20 year old Integra LS (non-vtec) makes more horsepower and very nearly as much torque out of the same size engine.

Interesting, it wasn't for a lack of power, but it just didn't feel anything like 198hp to me. The steering is what really killed it for me too. As for the Kia, I might get flamed for this, I just don't want to drive a Kia. I know they make a much better car than they did, I just can't bring myself to do it.

The Altima seems to be a bastion for problems (tons of negative reviews over on Edmunds), which is a shame, because it seemed like a nice balance.

I'd probably skip the risk on the Kizashi. I'm considering checking out the Cruise and the Focus. I've heard really good things about the Cruise, and it may be a reasonable replacement for the Corolla, though I would like to step up in size for comfort, but perhaps it is bigger. The Sentra has a nasty CVT and no horsepower, so I'll agree that needs a pass.

If you're considering the Cruze, check out the Verano. It's a great car.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Only 2 choices for resale,Honda or Toyota. Check out the Camry SE and/or Camry V6. Toyotas are 6 speeds.

Bleh, Camry SE is just...
smirk.gif
to me. The Camry XLE V6 is nice, quite a beast, test drove one (they wanted 16k after trade), but it was too expensive, too expensive to insure).

I do like the Camry's 6-speed Aisin, I rented an I4 LE, bare bones when I had a small ding fixed on the Corolla, car drove nice (was a little floaty on the highway), but the trans never felt too geared down, or like it was hunting for the right gear.
Well,then,that leaves the Accord,don't it?. Pay your money and take your choice.

Sounds like no 4 cyl cars are going to make you happy. I thought the 4cyl Accords put out some decent 0-60 times. If that's too slow for you just go with a 6 cylinder.

I'd just go with the the V6 200. After rebates going on right now you can grab one for under 16k. You are looking for V6 power, comfort, and something that's not pricey. Just buy it.

Last edited:
To be honest, I don't want "sporty",

But you don't like your boring Corolla either. Isn't sporty the opposite of boring?

The Cruze is longer than a 1st generation Altima and wider than a 2nd generation Altima

Feels a little tight in shoulder room to me personally. Not terribly so. Just a little.

But if you didn't like the Sonata's power, the turbo 1.4 probably won't do much for you.

Find a nice pre-owned 3.7 liter 2nd gen Mazda6S. Plenty of go in that engine. Or if you can stomach the CVT, a Maxima. Nice alternative to an Acura or a Lexus ES without the premium marque price tags

Honda Accord EX/Sport - EX feels sluggish with the CVT, kind of large feeling, and overall meh. The Sport still (obviously) has that large feeling, but the performance is MUCH better (despite only having 4hp more). Something to do with the tuning of the CVT, perhaps? I worry on this one about costly CVT issues down the road, alongside DI issues. Oddly this would lower my insurance.

Get the V6 then: it won't feel sluggish, it won't have CVT, and no DI either. However, it does come with VCM.

Also, have you looked at Mazda6?

I did drive a Mazda 6, a little too "sporty" for my taste in styling, but the drive didn't really deliver the performance to me. People are astonished when I say this, perhaps I ought to give this one another test drive.

Thanks for the input!

It's not surprising to me. Temple of VTEC has done dyno comparisons between the K24W and the SkyActiv engine to better understand both of them. The Mazda has a notably unimpressive peak and overall curve compared to the K24 which is why the Accord has such healthy 0-60 times. While the Mazda is slightly more efficient it's not nearly enough to make me want to give up the power of the K24. This is not to say the Mazda is bad, but objective data is showing that the benefits of SkyActiv are not that great in this case, or at least not up to what Honda did with their Earth Dreams (dumb name I know) K24W.

One important point is that the OP wants a car with automatic transmission. Motortrend compared Accord Sport (CVT), Mazda6, and Camry SE. Mazda6 posted the fastest 0-60 time by a small margin. I also heard that Accord Sport 6MT does so well in 0-60 because of gearing. According to Car and Driver, Accord makes it to 60mph in second gear (in 6.6 seconds) while Mazda needs to up-shift. If this is true, the performance differential would not have been as big if they were looking at say 0-80 or 0-70 times since Accord would also have to upshift by then. In any case, any car that makes to 60mph under 8 seconds, is fast enough for a midsize car in my book. In the 90s, you had to have a V6 engine to get there. Now base engines in Mazda, Ford, Toyota, etc midsize cars give you 0-60 times under 8 seconds and +30mpg on highway.

For people who like cars with automatic transmission, my understanding is that Accord CVT models and Mazda's new skyactiv transmissions are highly regarded, with reviewers at thetruthaboutcars mentioning that 6MT buys little or nothing over the new skyactiv automatic transmission.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dishdude
If you're considering the Cruze, check out the Verano. It's a great car.

Will do, I found a Buick dealer to check out.

Originally Posted By: jigen
Sounds like no 4 cyl cars are going to make you happy. I thought the 4cyl Accords put out some decent 0-60 times. If that's too slow for you just go with a 6 cylinder.

I'd just go with the the V6 200. After rebates going on right now you can grab one for under 16k. You are looking for V6 power, comfort, and something that's not pricey. Just buy it.

The 4cyl Accord, Camry and Altima all put out enough power for me. The Camry SE is boring to me, but I liked the comfort of the XLE. I just prefer not to go Toyota. I do really like the V6 200, but it gets panned, and I can't figure out why. Sure, it may not be as "refined", but it is a proven 6speed, an older (now more reliable) platform, and a good engine, and the build quality is leaps and bounds above the Sebrings (which post-2006 didn't have that many problems). I just feel like everyone usually thinks the 200 will sink like a crater, but does that matter if 4k of hit is being taken off right from the start?

But you don't like your boring Corolla either. Isn't sporty the opposite of boring?

Yes and no, I'd like something "comfortable", "nice" and with just enough power to do highway driving/handling smoother. I want "nice comfort" compared to the Corolla, if that makes sense.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
The Cruze is longer than a 1st generation Altima and wider than a 2nd generation Altima

Feels a little tight in shoulder room to me personally. Not terribly so. Just a little.

But if you didn't like the Sonata's power, the turbo 1.4 probably won't do much for you.

Find a nice pre-owned 3.7 liter 2nd gen Mazda6S. Plenty of go in that engine. Or if you can stomach the CVT, a Maxima. Nice alternative to an Acura or a Lexus ES without the premium marque price tags

I should say the Sonata did have the power I liked, but I felt like I had to open up on the throttle too many times, it felt like the 6 speed was always keeping it geared down, and I had to downshift to get to its power. Being lighter the Turbo 1.4 may be better, but I can't say I'm a fan of turbos. The Cruze does get pretty nice milage though, and is probably safer than the tin-can Corolla.

A friend of mine had a MS6, very nice car. Aren't they manual-only? I'd be happy with a CVT Maxima drive wise, just not when the $7k replacement comes knocking.

Originally Posted By: Zako2

One important point is that the OP wants a car with automatic transmission. Motortrend compared Accord Sport (CVT), Mazda6, and Camry SE. Mazda6 posted the fastest 0-60 time by a small margin. I also heard that Accord Sport 6MT does so well in 0-60 because of gearing. According to Car and Driver, Accord makes it to 60mph in second gear (in 6.6 seconds) while Mazda needs to up-shift. If this is true, the performance differential would not have been as big if they were looking at say 0-80 or 0-70 times since Accord would also have to upshift by then. In any case, any car that makes to 60mph under 8 seconds, is fast enough for a midsize car in my book. In the 90s, you had to have a V6 engine to get there. Now base engines in Mazda, Ford, Toyota, etc midsize cars give you 0-60 times under 8 seconds and +30mpg on highway.

For people who like cars with automatic transmission, my understanding is that Accord CVT models and Mazda's new skyactiv transmissions are highly regarded, with reviewers at thetruthaboutcars mentioning that 6MT buys little or nothing over the new skyactiv automatic transmission.

Any 0-60 under 8 is more than enough, the problem is those tests are revving out the engines. I feel like the Accord had much more low-end power for smooth comfortable everyday driving than the Mazda, but I definitely need to give the 6 another chance. I would also have to get used to the styling of the 6.

I'd be happy with the CVT in the Accord Sport, if it wasn't for the reliability concern/nightmare coupled with GDI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back