Best cheap oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Lurch
The best cheap filter IMO is a Purolator Classic.

+1
And in my opinion, cheap in the long run too...that is to say insurance for the engine oil and bearings for engine longevity.
It's a pretty good filter for the money, has factory efficieny ratings in a usable format, and is readily available just about any auto parts store.

Sorry, I see no evidence they are any better than other stuff in their price range or cheaper.

Anyone heard of a Parts Plus (products) branded filter?

They have a $2.00 filter for my '05 4Runner. Made in China. Tucked away local wholesaler (located and thus hidden in back of a strip mall which ironically included a NAPA store) told me they sell a lot to local no-name lube shops.

Filter better than FRAM, defined as the Parts Plus filter uses a coil spring and metal end caps...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: labman

Sorry, I see no evidence they are any better than other stuff in their price range or cheaper.

Yeah, Purolator Classic is no superstar. It's a good value, though.

PureOne/Bosch Premium and clones is where it's at. It has to be the best general, all-around, widely available filter.

Originally Posted By: Augustus
Anyone heard of a Parts Plus (products) branded filter?

They have a $2.00 filter for my '05 4Runner. Made in China. Tucked away local wholesaler (located and thus hidden in back of a strip mall which ironically included a NAPA store) told me they sell a lot to local no-name lube shops.

Filter better than FRAM, defined as the Parts Plus filter uses a coil spring and metal end caps...

I just used one on my mom's Malibu, I plan on cutting it open shortly and I'll start a thread about it when I do. It looked to be a good filter by my initial impressions. Liked the plastic wrap on the filter base as well.

Which other readily available filters have a 97.5% multipass efficiency at 20 microns for around $3.50?

Originally Posted By: river_rat
Quote:

Which other ones have a 97.5% multipass efficiency at 20 microns for $3.50?
Don't confuse the issue with facts.
wink.gif

I don't know about the Classic not being a "superstar", but clearly not too shabby at that price point. Grabbed 2 today with 2 Advance Auto Havoline oil/filter combo deals and a $10 coopin(a la Ron White) for total of $17 and change. I'm happy.
55.gif

Isn't a FRAM orange can (chepo bottom end line) around $3.50 (or more)? If so, I'd say the Purolator Classic ($3.50) walks all over the orange can FRAM in every way.

Perhaps so. A more objective look would show less difference. Besides, you need to compare it to the best alternatives, not the worst.

Perhaps so. A more objective look would show less difference. Besides, you need to compare it to the best alternatives, not the worst.

IMO, when you compare the $3.50 Purolator Classic to any other filter for also $3.50, it stands out as a very good value and a solid performer too. 97.5% efficient (Beta 40) @ 20 microns is pretty good IMO.

So please show how much better it is than STP, ST, AC, NAPA Pro Select, Pronto, Casite, NAPA Silver, and for that matter Fram.

So please show how much better it is than STP, ST, AC, NAPA Pro Select, Pronto, Casite, NAPA Silver, and for that matter Fram.

Go look at river_rat's filtering tests. The Purolator Classic looked basically the same performance as the PureONE. I'm sure something like the NAPA Pro Select or NAPA Silver doesn't have as good of performance, and I doubt they are $3.50 ... maybe closer to $4.50 depending on the size.

Any that have non-metal end caps are a tier below the Classic IMO.

Ya. It is better. Don't know about Casite or Pronto. STP leaves 6% of grit in you engine. Puro only 2.5 %
NAPA Silver has a porous media by comparison. IMO, Fram is a joke except for XG.
Deal with it.

Quote:
I just used one on my mom's Malibu, I plan on cutting it open shortly and I'll start a thread about it when I do. It looked to be a good filter by my initial impressions. Liked the plastic wrap on the filter base as well.

Plastic wrap on mine as well. The seller gave me a parts catalog.
Here's a fuzzy photo from the back inside cover. I hope there's no copyright issue??
PPOF.jpg

Originally Posted By: river_rat

Ya. It is better. Don't know about Casite or Pronto. STP leaves 6% of grit in you engine. Puro only 2.5 %
NAPA Silver has a porous media by comparison. IMO, Fram is a joke except for XG.
Deal with it.

You don't like the Tough Guard at all?

Best cheap oil filter was FAR Proline (plus free Peak oils) from Pep Boys last Spring/Summer. It's hard to get much less than free, also Proline is made in good old USA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back