Best Brand of Gasoline

Exxon, Chevron, and Sunoco … Everything else in this village is unknown …
Use Techron (or Gumout PEA) on last tank of OCI …

Here in South FL, the gasoline comes in two flavors, from one place, the refineries in LA. And it comes here via tanker.

The only difference is how much secret sauce is added.

Originally Posted by kstanf150
Can't go wrong with Chevron
May have changed by now 🤔
But Chevron was the choice pick for car makers to test engines for mpg test in the past

That's because Grady Davis was in upper management at Gulf (now Chevron) for decades. The same Grady Davis behind the Gulf GT40's and Gulf 917 Porsches at Le Mans. He was Executive VP after being Operations VP of Gulf Oil Corporation. Grady Davis knew his stuff.

Grady Davis with John Wyer looking over a Porsche 917 when it was brand new. John Wyer is doing the pointing

[Linked Image]

You might recognize this paint scheme. These were Gulf Racing colors after Wyer convinced Davis to go with light blue

[Linked Image]

Before John Wyer's involvement, Gulf Racing colors were dark blue and burnt orange as seen here on Grady Davis' personal car

img062.jpg

But enough pictures. Grady Davis (University of Texas and Harvard) was the reason Gulf products were used for standards testing.
I recall as a kid always pulling for the GULF OIL cars in all the races. Their color scheme stood out to a kid. Then later one of my first jobs after school was pumping gas in a Gulf Station and hanging out with the "24 Hour On Duty" mechanics. Learned a lot from them about cars as well as that I liked beer drinking with them after work!

I have a strange but effective approach to buying gasoline - So many stations have pumps that cheat you with an inaccurate count of the # of gallons pumped (in the station's favor of course), despite having the sticker on the pump saying it's been examined and certified by the state every 2 years. I always have my gauge at exactly 1/4 full when I get gas, and I compare how many gallons get added at various pumps and stations, and I write down the "generous" pumps / stations so I can use them in the future.

I found one station that is overly generous with it's # of gallons pumped being very low, so I go to that station all the time.
It happens to be a top-tier brand also, so it's my favorite choice.

Sunoco. Half mile from my house, new tanks and pumps and price matches Walmart to the penny most of the time and that’s before their app discount

I had an 86 Pontiac 6000 with a Tech 4 engine that would gets the best fuel economy on Shell Regular seeing an increase of 4 mpg over any other fuel including their premium or mid grade back in the day. Car ran fine on any brand but the Shell Regular consistently gave 4 mpg higher. To this day I have never seen other fuels do similar in any other car including Shell regular in other vehicles. it really liked that fuel for some reason.
And you will never see similar results because your alleged result is an anomaly at best....or incorrect math at worst.

From the local indian reservation when I'm going through, usually its 10-20% cheaper. And I can get dyed diesel for the tractor too.
Other than that, I tend to get Canadian tire gas or Esso because our credit cards give us 5 cents a litre back.

Back