Best belt dressing?

Sorta it’s basically a bar of steel lol.

... Steel?

81ErJx15j2L._RI_.jpg

Either you can get enough torque with a wrench or you can't... kinda depends on your strength and the length of it. Some Fords have a square cutout on the tensioner so you can use a 3/8" ratchet or breaker bar instead. To clarify, JUST the ratchet, not a 3/8" socket on it. You should be able to look at a picture of the tensioner for it (Rock Auto, etc) to see if it has this. If the tank is in the way, remove it.

Last edited:
If you've got any 303 Aerospace protectant, soak the belt in it. I've had it quieten a belt for a thousand miles or so. If you don't have it, don't buy it just for that because it's expensive.

I thought the belt on my '02 Vulcan was bad but it turned out to be the tensioner. It had worn and was sitting cockeyed.

I will only buy oem or Continental (old Goodyear) belts now unless I can't wait.

I like CRC belt conditioner, soften the red plastic straw with a lighter and form into u shape to get back of the belt. It that doesn’t work then yep new belt, and probably tensioner and idler time.

If you've got any 303 Aerospace protectant, soak the belt in it. I've had it quieten a belt for a thousand miles or so. If you don't have it, don't buy it just for that because it's expensive.

I thought the belt on my '02 Vulcan was bad but it turned out to be the tensioner. It had worn and was sitting cockeyed.

I will only buy oem or Continental (old Goodyear) belts now unless I can't wait.
Sweet Project Cars agrees. :)

I do think it could be tensioner with fine belt. But anytime stuff is sprayed on belt the noise stops..

I also was taught not to spray on belts..

$20 belt... or screw around with sprays that'll only make a mess and not last. Actually, depending on mileage, you should also replace the idlers and tensioner pulley or better yet the tensioner assembly and not worry for another 100k.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, I too read on the almighty net about putting some silicone on belts. It seems counterintuitive because we think of silicone as being a very slippery lubricant. My hypothesis is that the silicone conditions the rubber to make it be more grippy.

I used 303 successfully on my workplace greenhouse exhaust fan cogged V belts and John Deere tractors that were just a wee bit chirpy (not worn down). Just yesterday I applied some on my car seprentine belt at 95K miles because it developed just the tiniest amount a chirp when cold. I inspected the belt and all tensioners/pulleys with the idea that I need to monitor/service them at some point. 303 does seem to help a bit., but not as a "mechanic in a can" fix. And, it is nothing like the old sticky belt dressings.

Some claim 303 has no silicone. I "think" that it does not contain harmful type silicone "oils" but probably has some kind of safe aqueous emulsion type silicone component. Maybe a chemist can straighten out my thinking. I.E., in the old days Armour All was rumored to have bad ingredients for plastic/rubber, but today's version is safe.

Last edited:
Anyone ever soak new belts in 303? Saw some guy online swearing that letting the new belt sit in 303 prior to install helps them “last forever” pretty sure he was speaking in hyperbole but wonder if it would work. I coat my silk sidewall race tubulars in 303 before storing for winter and the rubber looks practically new after 2 years.

I used a belt dressing on my Miata once because it was squealing ( too loose) and the belt burned through and left me stranded on the side of the highway.

New Belt at the proper tightness is the way to go.

Probably so that’s what I have heard too. I usually don’t spray anything but silicone on rubber components.

I agree... that stuff, everyone says it appears to work but long term it doesn't. I've always squirter it on door hinges and they always seem to work right afterwards but I don't know...

So, about the car and the squeaky belt. I could be wrong, but I always thought a serpentine belt for an 04 Taurus (again this is the Vulcan) cost more than $20.. and the preliminary "spray water on it" (thought you were never supposed to spray water, or as noted.. anything, including belt drresings..) test seems to quiet it.. the 303 will be here Wednesday.

There is already a sticky mess so 🤷‍♂️

Back