Belt Dressing Nightmare

There was no issue with the belt that required replacement or was being masked. A little dried antifreeze on a belt isn't a problem. I assumed this dressing would be some type of lubricant that would quiet the chirp. Boy was I wrong. I think it's the same stuff they coat the first 60 ft of the drag strip with.
Chock it up to experience, I suppose. I remember using that black goo 4 decades ago. Then I came to BITOG and hallelujah, I was enlightened! Now I get the "rolling eyes" when I use a belt tensioner and check sheave alignment on my greenhouse belts.

I have read on numerous forums that treating the belt with non solvent silicone such as 301 will condition the rubber and hold off replacement for awhile. It seems counter intuitive, applying a lubricant, but it worked on some farm tractors that were a just a bit chirppy. Just stirring the pot here. We all know the correct answer is to replace the belt and maybe sheaves/tensioner.

Hey, everyone enjoy the rest of this weekend. Be thankful that we seem to be coming out of this mess. I'm going to enjoy the day doing my biannual spring detailing, a month late. Peace.

Last edited:
...Right before I got it he changed the thermostat and got a little coolant on the belt. This caused a chirp.

The chirp wasn't going away so I bought a fresh can of belt dressing for the first time ever. It worked for one drive. But what a huge mistake...
Ive gotten coolant on the belt before which caused noise. Simple fix is take a spray bottle with plain ol' water and spritz the belt as it runs. No more noise. And it's usually permanent.

Ive gotten coolant on the belt before which caused noise. Simple fix is take a spray bottle with plain ol' water and spritz the belt as it runs. No more noise. And it's usually permanent.

I ran the hose on it running for a good minute the day I got it. Did not work. I think the problem was the thermostat was changed and then it sat for a couple of days. The antifreeze got plenty of time to sit on the rubber.

Brakekleen won't remove the belt dressing. Softens it up but I think it just helped it impregnate the belt rubber more. This belt is going to end up getting replaced no doubt. Cleaning the pulleys will be the fun part. Probably will need lacquer thinner and a brass brush.

If you sprayed ANYTHING on the belt, change it. Clean all pulleys. It will never be quiet for any length of time.

I ran the hose on it running for a good minute the day I got it. Did not work. I think the problem was the thermostat was changed and then it sat for a couple of days. The antifreeze got plenty of time to sit on the rubber.

Brakekleen won't remove the belt dressing. Softens it up but I think it just helped it impregnate the belt rubber more. This belt is going to end up getting replaced no doubt. Cleaning the pulleys will be the fun part. Probably will need lacquer thinner and a brass brush.
I have used a product called “ Goof Off “ it did a great job of removing an adhesive on a plastic Ipass transponder.

Hit it with some spray silicon and it seems to be working for now. Belt will get changed though.

Talcum powder has always worked for me to quiet down squeaky serps.
Sound annoys me, Co. fleet truck would do it when belt got wet and they would not change a belt for noise so a shot of talcum power would silence it for a long time. I've seen the OEM belts on go for 200k + miles on those Express vans.

Talcum powder has always worked for me to quiet down squeaky serps.
Sound annoys me, Co. fleet truck would do it when belt got wet and they would not change a belt for noise so a shot of talcum power would silence it for a long time. I've seen the OEM belts on go for 200k + miles on those Express vans.

That is a cool trick

Sounds crazy but one toothpaste sized dab of dielectric grease will solve a chirping belt and will not cause it to slip its actually very sticky and works 10× better than belt dressing

Back