Belt Dressing Nightmare

I'm using my brother's 2001 2500HD Silverado at the moment. Right before I got it he changed the thermostat and got a little coolant on the belt. This caused a chirp.

The chirp wasn't going away so I bought a fresh can of belt dressing for the first time ever. It worked for one drive. But what a huge mistake, this sticky crap has led to a belt that is insanely loud/chirpy. Not to mention anywhere there was overspray is practically uncleanable. Rubbing Alcohol will barely take this stuff off.

The serpentine belt is only a few years old. This nothing wrong with the tensioner or any pulleys. I was thinking of holding a brass bristle brush under it at idle.

when the belt is off try hosing down the pulleys with simple green (or similar) to clean them.. maybe take a tire brush to them etc.

Sometimes the chirp on a serpentine belt is caused by rust or debris stick in the grooves and sometimes you get away with cleaning grooves out with a wire brush while the vehicle is running but obviously need to be careful

Did you know that we can only buy non chlorinated in California?
So what happens if you try to buy it online and have it shipped to you? Walmart offers free shipping with a $35 purchase. Looks like a few other vendors mention that it's banned in CA and NJ but it doesn't say so on Walmart's website. You could probably buy it in eBay too, individual sellers probably don't know about the ban.

So what happens if you try to buy it online and have it shipped to you? Walmart offers free shipping with a $35 purchase. Looks like a few other vendors mention that it's banned in CA and NJ but it doesn't say so on Walmart's website. You could probably buy it in eBay too, individual sellers probably don't know about the ban.
Or just pick it up when in AZ or nv

Mirroring what others said - you just don't use belt dressing to hide an issue. Replace the belt and clean the pullies.

There was no issue with the belt that required replacement or was being masked. A little dried antifreeze on a belt isn't a problem. I assumed this dressing would be some type of lubricant that would quiet the chirp. Boy was I wrong. I think it's the same stuff they coat the first 60 ft of the drag strip with.

Last edited:
Back