Best Battery Brand?

The NAPA branded Legend premium AGM batteries are working well for me. Aside from the competitive price NAPA has regular sales if you get on their email list.
The NAPA website lists East Penn or Clarios as being the manufacturer(s).

Z

Actually, I've had good luck with OE batteries on new vehicles.
You can't buy OE batteries later though or at least not in all cases. A Motorcraft or Honda or Jeep battery from a dealer will usually just be a re-labeled battery from one of the big battery manufacturers, i.e. the same battery that can be bought at Autozone, Walmart, Interstate, etc.

You can't buy OE batteries later though or at least not in all cases. A Motorcraft or Honda or Jeep battery from a dealer will usually just be a re-labeled battery from one of the big battery manufacturers, i.e. the same battery that can be bought at Autozone, Walmart, Interstate, etc.
Yeah, I know.

odd this comes up just as i got home form getting 2 new batteries for my truck,. the old were Duracell branded East Penn, from 9-10 date. One had gone bad and was slowly killing the other. having 2 it was hard to spot. the slower crank and 15V charging told me somethings up. pulled them both one was at 8V the the other at 11.3
After some searching I found the best deal for me was samsclub group 65 AGM East Penn and again labeled Duracell. 180 each.
the old were lead acid, the new being AGM will hopefully get me the same or similar miles.

Since my work trucks could be anywhere across the state there is no guarantee that there will be a AZ or Orielly or Advance to warranty a battery on a service truck so I do default to the Everstart from Wally and the warranty is literally the bar code no hassle to look up what battery was in what truck and what phone number .....that being said I never let then actually remove the battery I carry it in

Any battery your going to get in the USA is likely Clarios, Exide or East Penn. The brand can actually vary by region - for example here all the batteries at Walmart are Clarios. In other parts of the country their East Penn.

Actually, I've had good luck with OE batteries on new vehicles.
I've had good luck with the batteries that come with new vehicles as well. But often with imported cars, the replacments sold at the car dealer is not the same manufacturer as came with the car originally. They will sell an OEM labeled battery, but the North American importer is sourcing them from a domestic manufacturer. As a consumer, one needs to check and investigate, don't assume it will be exactly the same as what came with your car.

Any battery your going to get in the USA is likely Clarios, Exide or East Penn. The brand can actually vary by region - for example here all the batteries at Walmart are Clarios. In other parts of the country their East Penn.
Actually, we are recently learning many AGMs are being privatel labeled by Varta. The "made in Germany" is seen now on AC Delco AGMs, some Interstate AGMs and Walmart AGMs. Varta is also OEM for many German car makers, to include BMW.

I've had good luck with the batteries that come with new vehicles as well. But often with imported cars, the replacments sold at the car dealer is not the same manufacturer as came with the car originally. They will sell an OEM labeled battery, but the North American importer is sourcing them from a domestic manufacturer. As a consumer, one needs to check and investigate, don't assume it will be exactly the same as what came with your car.
The top tier brand I hear about OE batteries is Japanese mfg Panasonic. The issue with sourcing these batteries at least when I tried, was absolutely zero dealers carry this (they just have trustarts which are junk imo).

The top tier brand I hear about OE batteries is Japanese mfg Panasonic. The issue with sourcing these batteries at least when I tried, was absolutely zero dealers carry this (they just have trustarts which are junk imo).
The battery in my Japanese built Toyota is from GSYUASA and is made in Japan. Its been a very good battery.

There is a difference between 3 years and a 5 year prorated warranty. Try to find a 5 year prorated warranty. Meaning it will be replaced free within 3 years and prorated after that up to 5 years. Cost And location are very important for vehicle batteries.

Actually, we are recently learning many AGMs are being privatel labeled by Varta. The "made in Germany" is seen now on AC Delco AGMs, some Interstate AGMs and Walmart AGMs. Varta is also OEM for many German car makers, to include BMW.
Is there a way to tell, or are we saying all "made in Germany" are Varta? Clarios has a factory in Germany as well I am pretty sure - but I couldn't tell you what batteries they actually make there. AGM would be a good bet since I think thats pretty much standard on German cars now?

The "best" FLA battery is going to be the heaviest one, if a Penn Deka weighs 5Lbs more than the same size Interstate, it is a better battery.
I just put an Everstart AGM in my 2018 and it is way heavier than the stock battery.

Is there a way to tell, or are we saying all "made in Germany" are Varta? Clarios has a factory in Germany as well I am pretty sure - but I couldn't tell you what batteries they actually make there. AGM would be a good bet since I think thats pretty much standard on German cars now?
Clarios owns Varta. I admit only guessing, but the case construction all appear identical. Varta also makes Bosch car batteries for sale in the EU.
One clue also is both the Interstate AGM and Walmart AGM have the exact same type, size and style "made in Germany" sticker that is stuck on. So whomever is supplying them, is the same maker. My AC Delco AGM the "made in Germany" is printed into the AC Delco label itself. I have not confirmed, but told the most recent AC Delco AGM are now made in the USA again.

Yes, AGM seems pretty standard on most German makes. My 2018 BMW M550iX actually has two Varta/BMW labled AGM batteries. An H8 in the trunk and an H5 in the engine compartment. I think the H5 is used for the start/stop function.

Attachments

• walmart germany.jpeg
    walmart germany.jpeg
    174.5 KB · Views: 45
  • interstate german.jpg
    interstate german.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Another source of USA manufactured lead acid batteries is Stryten Manufacturing.

...The company combines more than 130 years of experience manufacturing high-quality, top-performing batteries with deep industry expertise, providing the marketplace with smart power solutions to keep people and industry moving every day. Stryten operates seven manufacturing plants strategically positioned across the United States to serve the evolving needs of its customers and partners...

...Stryten Manufacturing, www.stryten.com, is a leading provider of stored electrical-energy solutions for the Transportation and Industrial markets. Headquartered in Milton, Georgia, the company operates transportation plants in Salina, Kansas, Manchester, Iowa and industrial facilities in Ft. Smith, Arkansas, Kansas City, Kansas, and Charlottesville, Virginia. Its manufacturing plants are located Kansas City, Missouri, and Lampeter, Pennsylvania. These locations produce a comprehensive portfolio of battery and energy storage systems and specialty applications for the Transportation, Network Power and Motive Power markets. Also served are industries such as agricultural, automotive, heavy-duty truck, marine, materials handling, military, mining, railroad, security, telecommunications, utility and uninterruptible power supply (UPS), among others.

Clarios owns Varta. I admit only guessing, but the case construction all appear identical. Varta also makes Bosch car batteries for sale in the EU.
One clue also is both the Interstate AGM and Walmart AGM have the exact same type, size and style "made in Germany" sticker that is stuck on. So whomever is supplying them, is the same maker. My AC Delco AGM the "made in Germany" is printed into the AC Delco label itself. I have not confirmed, but told the most recent AC Delco AGM are now made in the USA again.

Yes, AGM seems pretty standard on most German makes. My 2018 BMW M550iX actually has two Varta/BMW labled AGM batteries. An H8 in the trunk and an H5 in the engine compartment. I think the H5 is used for the start/stop function.
I just bought a "made in spain" group 24 battery from Walmart.. Yup it had the "JC" beginning for the serial number which is Johnson Controls which is Clarios. I think it's a very cool battery, has two handles that fold in from the middle! I've always heard good things about Varta..

Anyone from Europe like to give their opinion??

Back