Best Battery Brand?

The battery in my Japanese built Toyota is from GSYUASA and is made in Japan. Its been a very good battery.

The last time I saw a Yuasa car battery was the OEM one in the 1989 Integra that got me through college. That was a classic design with flush top caps that needed a wide screwdriver to remove and secure. Later cars I got that were assembled in Japan had Panasonic batteries with knobbed caps.

I don't know of anyone who still sells that style of battery in the United States. When I was thinking of getting a BRZ that might have been sitting on the lot for a while (we had a hard time finding one that would start on the lot to test drive) I was thinking maybe if I bought one to ask for a new battery. However, having the factory installed battery with caps sounded like a good idea. Their replacement batteries were all the kind of with ganged caps or perhaps glued on caps.

I have no argument with you on the quality / durability / warranty, but......everytime I go into my local WM, the battery rack is wiped out. Good luck finding me a new one.
It was like that at my local walmart a couple months ago.. now they have much more on the shelf. Wondering if it's a management thing..

The top tier brand I hear about OE batteries is Japanese mfg Panasonic. The issue with sourcing these batteries at least when I tried, was absolutely zero dealers carry this (they just have trustarts which are junk imo).
yup, great, been @ it many yrs. Got great household rechargeable too compared to other co.s (long time till nxt re-charge).

"...have a sight glass and easily accessible water caps..."
nope, but C my earlier post. I open even 'maintenance free' (@ some point). 8 yr minimum life w/proper maintenance, life time (mine) w/"the extras".
The Q here seems to B one of ROI, one of VALUE: ''...the "best" battery for the money..." The Wally's - as an answr - might B "best lowest priced" (& due to ubiquitous nature of their stores placement, and hrs) nuttin I wanna contribute toward. Other considerations go into VALUE. NAPA might B in the middle w/many, many others (Premium only, I gota Diehard - yes, Advance bought them 3yrs ago - due to sz/side post/agm need). It's also carQuest and as all ways (since '67) sears (by Globue Union Battery - Johnson Controlls). In my '66 bronk but not on the winch, used as 'starter' ona 4.2L i6. I may geta marine bat 4 the winch, join them in parallel? (More research ta do, $ ta save...)

Last edited:
the best battery is the one that is freshest, regardless of brand... then factor in $$ and a fresh Walmart Value battery is without question your best bang for buck ("fresh" meaning you bought it within 30 days of manufacture)... but if you like the warm fuzzy feeling that a 3yr free replacement warranty gives you, then by all means get the WM Everstart Maxx or go to Costco - in most cases they are the same battery with similar warranty, and around me the Costco battery is more $$.

But beware the date code stickers!!! some places will swap them out, and you can usually see evidence of this (the new sticker is slightly askew of the old sticker's adhesive residue disk, etc). So bring a battery tester with you to the store and test the battery before you buy it.... don't buy if it's voltage is <12.6v or if the measured CCA is less than that of other batteries (same type) on the shelf... I learned this the hard way when buying three grp31 marine deep cycles from Sam's Club...

The problem with asking this question here is everyone is going to answer based on a battery they bought 5 years ago and still works.

For example a lot of the formerly beloved East Penn batteries are now made in Mexico. Are they worse / better - who knows - but there likely different.

I see some of the Clarios batteries (Johnson Controls) at Walmart now come from Spain. Again - any difference?

As for weight - if heavier plates are put together poorly - its still going to fail sooner than a lighter battery with higher quality material and assembly. So while it sounds good - it isn't really a guarantee.

Personally I would buy from wherever you can get the best deal, and wherever is going to be easiest for you to get warranty work if needed.
Yeah- and where it is made is not important as long as the American retailer selling it sets QC requirements and enforces them. Ppl blame China etc for junk when in reality its the American companies that maybe lax...

If you want best without worrying about cost then one of the expensive Odyssey AGM is probably the best.

East Penn seems to be made in the USA and at least for now does not seem likely to move production overseas.

Walmart EverStart MAXX is manufactured by East Penn in some locations and Clarios in other and that can all change as new supplier contracts are written. But one thing that will not change too much is the easy access to Walmart stores around the country for a replacement.

Test battery 2X a year and when it's one the way out just replace it.

I've always used Walmart batteries, and the cheapest everstarts. (not the everstart max) always had good luck.

There is a difference between 3 years and a 5 year prorated warranty. Try to find a 5 year prorated warranty. Meaning it will be replaced free within 3 years and prorated after that up to 5 years. Cost And location are very important for vehicle batteries.
I haven't seen a prorated battery warranty offered in many years. Decades. Most customers hated them, when they realized they were getting only a few dollars towards the new battery. Who still offers prorated battery warranties?

I want more people to buy Exide EFB type batteries. Could be a diamond in the rough?

...Evidence provided by more than a decade of use in Europe as well as the latest U.S. study indicates EFB is just as good as AGM in terms of automotive battery performance. In most cases, EFB is even better than AGM. But if AGM and EFB are so similar, why would the U.S. automotive industry go to the trouble to switch from using AGM to EFB? The answer is simple: superior battery performance.

While AGM is still the battery of choice for powering deep cycle needs, which is a niche use of automotive batteries, EFB will provide a better experience for the majority of consumers. It may be too soon to tell which technology will win the U.S. automotive battery battle, but one thing is for sure: EFB is truly a game changer.

John Miller, Senior Director of Product Engineering, Stryten Energy

I just bought a "made in spain" group 24 battery from Walmart.. Yup it had the "JC" beginning for the serial number which is Johnson Controls which is Clarios. I think it's a very cool battery, has two handles that fold in from the middle! I've always heard good things about Varta..

Anyone from Europe like to give their opinion??
Sounds like another Varta product (Varta is part of Clarios), they have a plant in Spain. The folding handle into the middle, is part of the "exact fit" EN or European Norm, standards for construction. It is very common to any battery following those standards. A group 24 battery is not part of the EN standard, but a manufacturer could very well incorporate some of the design features to simplify manufacturing, since it is being made by a European company.

Interesting analysis...but a quick read online from other companies in this sphere, seems there is not universal acceptance the EFB is the end all:

Q. What are the differences between EFB and AGM batteries?
A. EFB batteries have been introduced as a lower tier option to AGM batteries in terms of performance and durability. EFB technology relies on improvements to existing flooded technology through the addition of Carbon additives in the plate manufacturing process. AGM batteries benefit from the inclusion of unique design features not found in wet-flooded batteries. These include glass mat separators, recombinant lid technology and higher pack pressures to facilitate improved cyclic lifespan. AGM batteries are better suited to meeting the demands of higher specification vehicles that include one or more of the following technologies: Start Stop, Regenerative Braking and Passive Boost.

I haven't seen a prorated battery warranty offered in many years. Decades. Most customers hated them, when they realized they were getting only a few dollars towards the new battery. Who still offers prorated battery warranties?
I just got prorated $65 back on a bad 4 year old everstart maxx battery in December. I was happy to get back that $65.00 in my pocket from that prorated warranty. There are a lot of complainers... Nothing new there.

Sounds like another Varta product (Varta is part of Clarios), they have a plant in Spain. The folding handle into the middle, is part of the "exact fit" EN or European Norm, standards for construction. It is very common to any battery following those standards. A group 24 battery is not part of the EN standard, but a manufacturer could very well incorporate some of the design features to simplify manufacturing, since it is being made by a European company.

hey that's awesome, thanks for the link! Nice to find out where my battery was made.(y)

Also, thanks for the explanation, it makes sense that the EN standard doesn't have a group 24 so they took what was closest and incorporated that. When I tried to install it, it's close, but not exact fit like the other group 24 I've had. Oh it fits, the bottom part of the battery fits the tray perfect but up on top where the top clamp comes over, it doesn't reach the edges of the clamp (corner), I might get some foam to put in there, but makes sense what you were saying, now I know why!

For the big stuff (grp 31) I get the best life out of East Penn deep cycle AGM 8A31.

For the smaller stuff, I have had surprisingly good luck with Costco (Canada) batteries. Not sure who makes them. If anything small needs deep cycle capabilities I figure out a way to get the 8A31 from EP in somehow.

Interstate Battery. That’s the only name in batteries that I trust. They have the highest quality standards. We had one last 10 years the other last 8 and now we’re on the third and fourth ones. Won’t buy anything else. I understand there are few battery manufacturers but Interstate has the highest standards. I’d avoid a Walmart battery never had good luck with them. It’s not just to knock Walmart cause I’m not at all it’s just their batteries aren’t good because they don’t pay for high standards. If I had to get something else it would be a Duralast or Napa battery they are generally pretty high quality and standards.

Back