Best Bang for the Buck....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bang for the buck....

What do you want from your motor oil?

I want the best bang for the buck!

I have 4 vehicles that I maintain, I'm not looking to crawl under them anymore than is necessary, but I want to maintain them at a high level.

Isn't this what most are looking for?
How different are you?

For me that's a syn-blend oil, a $6 filter, and an analysis. approximately every 9k miles.

Chevron Supreme is great for a buck. I would take it over any "blend" oil, but 9k might be too much for it. It could be too much for other oils too, but who knows without a UOA. A Pure one filter would be about $5, and it is the best IMO. So how about a $2 oil and a $5 filter?

-T

Instead of a full synthetic maybe you want to try a quality dino like Havoline or Chevron or a blend like Motorcraft or any of the other Conoco family blend oils mentioned here and use LC20 and FP60. But by all means do an UOA at around 7,500 miles to see how the oil and filter are holding up before you go to 9-10,000 mile OCI's.

Whimsey

I'm stuck in my ways!
I've been using Schaeffer's Syn-blend for years with a PureOne. It would take a gun to change me now. I get 9k miles with analysis for a little under $30.

I'll delete this response...

Nevermind...
grin.gif

Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

[ November 25, 2005, 08:42 PM: Message edited by: Bill in Utah ]

Bill,
First off you are correct I do live 40 miles from St.Louis were Schaeffer's is made. That is likely why I have known about this small company for so many years. Before the internet Schaeffer's was pretty much a secret to the average guy. I'm the average guy with no association to Schaeffer's, just a happy customer.
I know there are tons of high quality oils out there, in fact it would be harder to find a bad one these days.
That said who offers more for less? Or as the Topic say "Best Bang for the Buck? I truly would like to know!

The one that is on sale.
grin.gif

Nothing beats the legendary GC currently at $3.99 qt.

Prolly a House brand full synthetic I see that for 3.00 to 3.50 Qt
They are certainly made by a large manufacture and will have simular performance of any other synthetic

Looking for a PAO blend priced lower than Maxlife.

Does your Schaeffers contain PAO? Do you know of an OTC blend that's similar to Schaeffers?

denny, sounds like you had your question answered before you started the thread. Why would you stitch from Schaeffers if it's working? Schaeffers may be as good as any oil you could pick. So, price might be the only down side, but if you keep your vehicles, the price of oil might be worth the expense, especially if you do-it-yourself. Just setup a scheme using ramps and make the process as easy as possible. Put the oil change stuff in one place and save containers to catch the oil and take it to a recycle place.

4 quarts of Chevron @ .49 cents a quart = $2
shocked.gif

Supertech filter for $2.07
smile.gif

Total for 5,000 miles excellent protection
is $4.07
fruit.gif

Add a UOA from Terry once a year $35
bowdown.gif

I think this is the "best bang for a buck"!
grin.gif

If you really want to kick it up a notch, add LC and wola!

Take care, bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Jorton,
I checked the web site MSD (Material Safty Data Sheet)for PAO (PolyAlphaOlefin) it show 20%-25%.
So it looks like the answer is yes. As far as over the counter label oil, I'm not aware of any, maybe someone else knows.

I will take the advice and send my sample to Blackstone and Schaeffer's that might make for an interesting posting.

quote:

Bill, he wants to do 10K intervals.
Chevron is no go.

"Best bang for the buck"
grin.gif

His is costing him $18-$20 for 9k miles.

My deal costs under $9 for 10k miles... less than 1/2
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

Better bang for the buck!
cheers.gif

Take care, bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Jorton & Denny,

Many believe that the Mobil 7500 is a PAO blend. It is at a very good price point, being even cheaper than the Schaeffers (IIRC less than $2.50/qt at Walmart). We do not have a wealth of UOAs yet, but I feel confident this will prove to be a very good "bang for the buck" oil. I am currently a Schaeffers user, but will be switching to the Mobil after my stash runs out.

The best bang for the buck ,,hmm ,well Phillips trop artic semi at Wally world is the first one to mind at $1.24 per qt, the Chevron/Havoline family at various low prices 1-2 $ per qt,Citgo Super Gaurd is a good low pricer,along with its sister oil Mystik,10w-30 and up ,diesel rated also,good adds,,,,Schaeffers products are a bit morebut a very good long life oil,compairing 7000 series to many higher priced synt.and also I have seen Quaker State rather low priced at Menards (mid-west),for 1.09 qt,,not a bad lube at all,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,BL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back