Best and Worst SET of tires you've ever put on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ditto on the worst..Michelin MXV4+ on my old ATW Passat wagon. The best on that car, was a set of Continental ContiExtreme Contacts.

Now on my 2014 Mazda6 Touring 6MT, a set of 225/45/19 Michelin PSS (at 2,000+mi old) to replace the OEM Dunlop 5000s (lasted 39,626/40 mos). The difference in road noise, ride and handling is NIGHT and DAY. Well worth the $1k spent..including a Hunter alignment.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: BironDanmum
Best for the price: Cooper Tires (including Starfire, Mickey Thompson, Roadmasters, Futura, Avon).

How about Mastercrafts? Someone on this thread said to avoid them and I even had the owner of a tire store not recommend the MC 440 one of their cheapest models. Then he went ahead and said a cheaper Sumitomo off brand tire, Solar 4XS is decent for the $$$.

I was offered some free Vogue tires in exchange for a review of them but I recently bought new tires and the closest size was a 17 inch tire and I had 16 inch wheels. But the car did have optional 17 inch wheels available. Here's the review on them from someone else:

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/6-wheels-tires/101681-vogue-signature-v-tire-review.html

I had the Mastercraft on my Nissan truck, and it performed admirably. I believe that it took the place of Futura brand name. I think I got about 60k miles out of them with no uneven wear or blowouts.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
No, I was wrong: she had Avenger GTs on her Sable. I had planned on getting the same ones, but went with Kellys instead. (I think they had a big rebate.)

Thanks guys and good to know about the Mastercrafts. I won't dismiss them so easily. Pricing seems very reasonable at a nearby mom and pop tire place. About $57 each for a 205/55R16 plus install. Which is on the MC-440 and about $76 for a nicer MC tire, the SRT I believe it's called. Probably worth the extra dough.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Firestone Winterforce came with my camry and they are a thumping, low tech, nasty tire that doesn't "do" snow well either, so its reason for being is not even its excuse.

I like the winterforce, I had 6 sets of them on my vehicles over the years.(all used mind you)and only one pair was [censored]. (One broke a belt, I'm sure it was curbed by my ex)

Originally Posted By: edyvw
As former professional skier, I know what skis can do.
I should say, they are as fast as good skis on snow.
By far THE WORST winter tire I ever had on a car.

Very interesting! Do you work in the ski industry in CO? I know that you have mentioned in the past that you are on the slopes several times a week in season.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
Worst:
Kumho Ecsta. Every time I had to brake I prayed, and I am not religious.
Hankook W300 (winter tire). They go on snow as pair of very good skis.

So the W300 gripped well in the turns and stopped quickly, right? Very good skis means they also have sharp edges so that you can control yourself down mountain trails. Sounds like a bad analogy

The W300 is a central European performance winter tire. They were bad for you because you didn't have the realistic expectations for the tire. They were not meant to grip the grip and ice like a Nokian Hakkapeliita tire. They were meant to favor cold dry roads, than snow and ice, despite the name "Icebear". I had them, and had no issues with them handling the curvy roads on my winter commute, which was mostly dry cold roads. Even got me through a few blizzards, driving sensibly on a low FWD car.

Still your analogy is horrible. fast skis are tuned properly, from the base structure to the wax and after treatments used on the base. good skis on the snow will also react to your inputs better. Your better winter tires are more akin to poorly waxed skis, including too "hot" of a wax used for the conditions, as it will grip the snow more and slow you down. Going down a mountain road fast with no control is akin to properly prepared base with worn edges.

Maybe you were a pro skier, but sounds like you didn't prep your own equipment for the races, so you wouldn't know theses nuances on why your analogy is horrible.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: supton
Ha, I'd like to see someone try to come up with a relative ranking on this list of antidotes.

Anecdotes? Or did I miss something?

Spell check strikes again I see. Couldn't remember how to spell it!

Although whenever I tire shop (or shop anything really) I often need something after attempting to sort through the data.

Best:
Bridgestone Potenza S-02 on my S2000
Yokohama AD07 on my Lotus
Both were great handling while still useable in rain

Worse:
Goodyear Wrangler SRA on a Grand Cherokee-not great at anything at all w/ terrible snow grip
Pirelli P7-back in the day, relatively new driver and exciting wet weather handling made for a fun combo...probably not the tires fault

As a former tire engineer, I found this thread fascinating.

Not only did I see folks talking about tires that are decades out of production, but still holding a grudge after all those years. Let it go, folks!

Allow me to interject that I worked for a company that completely changed over its entire tire building equipment in one plant. It took about 3 years to do - and afterwards the tires produced were much superior. They were not the only ones to have done so.

I know Bridgestone owns them now, and I know the Dacatur IL plant is long closed, but not forgiving Firestone for actively trying to kill my family and friends, covering it up, then doing it again. Ever. That was a brand that deserved to be taken out in a field and shot in the head.

The rest, sure, good enough reviews and I'll even give Uniroyal another try. (Don't see that happening, but who knows?) I love my new Generals after having several Meh experiences before, so I can be forgiving.

Worst tires I ever had

Goodyear RT/S on an 88 Pathfinder and the OEM tires on my Traverse (Goodyear Fortera H/L addition)

Best:

Michelin Latitudes on our Terrain/Equinox.
Firestone Destination ATs on a 93 Explorer

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
As a former tire engineer, I found this thread fascinating.

Not only did I see folks talking about tires that are decades out of production, but still holding a grudge after all those years. Let it go, folks!

Allow me to interject that I worked for a company that completely changed over its entire tire building equipment in one plant. It took about 3 years to do - and afterwards the tires produced were much superior. They were not the only ones to have done so.

IIRC, the title of the thread was "best and worst set of tires you've ever put on", not "best and worst of the last few years or weeks" so people describing the best and worst experiences they've had out of tires, even (gasp) decades ago seems to be of no surprise to anyone but you.

As I pointed out in my previous post, the older Ford drivers in my family who refused to "let it go" concerning Firestone tires based on information dating back to the 30s potentially dodged a huge bullet. 3,000 other Ford drivers weren't so lucky, and a couple-three hundred of them aren't here today to take part in this thread, otherwise I'm sure they would bring up their worst tire set.

But hey, that's ancient history. That was 15-20 years back, so of course we shouldn't talk about it anymore. Even though those recalled tires are still turning up for sale at various locations 20 years after the recall.

Worst: Goodyear Integrity
Close 2nd worst: Toyo Extensa HP - dry isn't too bad, but wet performance is awful. When I've been caught in the snow before swapping my snows on - they're dangerous.

Best: Michelin Pilot Super Sports

Worst
Uniroyal Laredo - worst wet traction. I had them on a 91 Bronco and on some boat ramps I'd have to put it in 4x just to get the boat out of the water.

Best
I'm liking the Cooper CS5 Touring on my Buick.

Best: Michelin Pilot Super Sports on my Mercedes SLK, Super sticky, quiet,with a nice smooth ride. Original Equipment on Ferrari 599 GTO, Ferrari's fastest road car ever.

Worst: Back when I was living in Upstate New York (Schentectady) and helping out with my grandparents, the shop that was owned by a friend stocked "Laramie" brand tires. From what I can tell, they were tires made by various plants not owned by them, but not 100% sure on that. They for some reason got flat tires on anything that was not blacktop pavement! I had flats on all 4 of them after barely 3K on them...after the 4th flat, I went back to the shop, talked to the owner who again was a family friend who agreed with me they wern't working out, offered to buy me a set on the house as long as I paid for mounting and balance for all 4. He set me up with some Advatange T/A that were nice.

Best Tire: BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A: I've had them brand new and used over the years, no wonder they win races!

Worst:
Kumho Ecsta. Every time I had to brake I prayed, and I am not religious.
Hankook W300 (winter tire). They go on snow as pair of very good skis.

So the W300 gripped well in the turns and stopped quickly, right? Very good skis means they also have sharp edges so that you can control yourself down mountain trails. Sounds like a bad analogy

The W300 is a central European performance winter tire. They were bad for you because you didn't have the realistic expectations for the tire. They were not meant to grip the grip and ice like a Nokian Hakkapeliita tire. They were meant to favor cold dry roads, than snow and ice, despite the name "Icebear". I had them, and had no issues with them handling the curvy roads on my winter commute, which was mostly dry cold roads. Even got me through a few blizzards, driving sensibly on a low FWD car.

Still your analogy is horrible. fast skis are tuned properly, from the base structure to the wax and after treatments used on the base. good skis on the snow will also react to your inputs better. Your better winter tires are more akin to poorly waxed skis, including too "hot" of a wax used for the conditions, as it will grip the snow more and slow you down. Going down a mountain road fast with no control is akin to properly prepared base with worn edges.

Maybe you were a pro skier, but sounds like you didn't prep your own equipment for the races, so you wouldn't know theses nuances on why your analogy is horrible.

I probably changed 40 sets of winter tires, and know expectations.
AGAIN, by far the worst winter tire. Not because it could not go thru deep snow (this shows your lack of understanding of what is winter tire, which does not stop you to lecture left and right).
W300 were OK in deep snow (not that Nokian outside of deep snow is spectacular tire, especially on dry pavement), but were horrid in packed snow, ice and especially wet conditions, which you can find in Germany, Russia or Alaska.
But, it is OK< we figured out you know skis, not so sure about tires.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

Very interesting! Do you work in the ski industry in CO? I know that you have mentioned in the past that you are on the slopes several times a week in season.

No I do not. I ski now 3 runs-beer-3 runs-beer until the end of the day
smile.gif

I probably changed 40 sets of winter tires, and know expectations.
AGAIN, by far the worst winter tire. Not because it could not go thru deep snow (this shows your lack of understanding of what is winter tire, which does not stop you to lecture left and right).
W300 were OK in deep snow (not that Nokian outside of deep snow is spectacular tire, especially on dry pavement), but were horrid in packed snow, ice and especially wet conditions, which you can find in Germany, Russia or Alaska.
But, it is OK< we figured out you know skis, not so sure about tires.

Since you start insulting, it means intelligent discussion is over.

Worst:

Ohtsu 5000 A/S tires from Discount Tire. Put them on a seasonal car, after sitting 3 months in my garage over winter they developed nasty flat spots and would never come out of it. When new, ride quality was awful, they were loud and had no rain traction....worst tires ever.

Best:

Michelin Premier A/S. They are quiet, have a great ride and wear like iron despite the 8.5/32 tread when new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back