Best 4x4 setup? Pickup truck related, not SUV or car.

The f150 gets an occasional complaint on the Ford boards for the vacuum hubs or motor-driven t-case. But I do like that they have disconnecting hubs which makes a solid mpg impact. Idk about the newer gms, but the older ones used a single disconnect solenoid in the front axle... known to fail but easy to swap, but all the heavy parts still spun so there was a mpg penalty.

the e-locker in the 150 is nice, but I’ll say when it’s slick, it’s only like adding half a wheel to the ground. When I first got the truck, I’d grab that knob first since there was less to deal with in the shift, and every single time I ended up having to reach for 4H anyway.

i see greater numbers of complaints about the full time 4x4 options as they age, typically from a worn clutch pack, or electronics having decided they don’t want to play. Personally on dry roads I prefer the handling of 2H with unlocked hubs and see little value in awd. If I could have manually locked hubs I’d also gladly install them. And a real handle to the tcase... but well, I’m getting old. (“Get off my lawn.”)

m

The oldest of 3 F150's (2009 lariat 5.4L SuperCrew) has reached 150,000 miles and the 4x4 is acting up. Not only am I getting the dreaded "wrench" symbol when choosing 4wd, but the front left wheel only randomly engages, while banging and popping loudly. While looking at land, the truck was unable to climb a wet gravel driveway, mild grade. As only two tires spun, the front right and the left rear. (yes it has a rear limited slip, but after 150K miles of abuse, it seems ineffective. The truck probably needs a new LF IWE hub.

However, the 2018 F150 has an electronic locking rear differential and it clearly seems superior in tough going. As you get at least 3 tires driving at 100%.

Are there any trucks or brands that have anything better? I've not shopped for a truck in a few years.

What are you towing hauling how much weight?

Pretty hard to beat the ecoboosts especially at altitude and in heat, but you are doing Florida and East coast runs right?

The oldest of 3 F150's (2009 lariat 5.4L SuperCrew) has reached 150,000 miles and the 4x4 is acting up. Not only am I getting the dreaded "wrench" symbol when choosing 4wd, but the front left wheel only randomly engages, while banging and popping loudly. While looking at land, the truck was unable to climb a wet gravel driveway, mild grade. As only two tires spun, the front right and the left rear. (yes it has a rear limited slip, but after 150K miles of abuse, it seems ineffective. The truck probably needs a new LF IWE hub.

However, the 2018 F150 has an electronic locking rear differential and it clearly seems superior in tough going. As you get at least 3 tires driving at 100%.

Are there any trucks or brands that have anything better? I've not shopped for a truck in a few years.
Since I'm not spending money on a new truck I'm saving my mileage cheques for upgrades to my current one. It has the mechanical g80 locker on the rear, open diff in the front.

My first upgrade is going to be a good front bumper (to push Stuff out of the way) and winch to mount there since any vehicle can get stuck despite mods. Then I'll move on to a 2.5" lift, 33" tires then a locker for the front if I can find one for the gm ifs 8.25.

My plan after that is to upgrade things as they wear out since it's @ 202k miles so far.

5000 miles in one week? What did you guys do, just drive non-stop? That’s 555 miles each day for 9 days if you figure a workweek butted by weekends on each side.
I maintain a fleet of 6 aircraft for one owner, at the moment, 2 are currently located in South Florida, one in St. Augustine, FL, One in Martha's Vineyard MA, One in Stewart/Newburgh NY, and one in Orange County airport, NY. This changes on a regular basis. I'm also a regular in Savannah, GA at the Gulfstream service center.

I used to fly everywhere. But due to the current lack of airline connections, and other (unmentionable) reasons, I must drive. 800 mile days are normal (about 10 hours driving at my speeds) . 1000-1100 occasionally. I'm a busy guy, but truth be told, It's been totally worth it.

I also have some health issues (mito dysfunction) that lead to lack of physical energy. Put another way, I run out of energy pretty fast and simply have to sit down for a few hours. Driving is no problem what so ever, as I'm just sitting there. So, it's working out pretty well.

Oh, and I work and drive weekends too. I'm currently in South FL and will be back up North by the 27th, and back South again by the 29th or 30th. I'll be bringing about 2000 pounds worth of equipment up. (AC power car, aircraft jacks) etc. SUV's are really tempting, but at the moment, just won't work.

My 1600 pound power cart.

1433-full.jpg

acdUFrG.jpg

images.ashx

Last edited:
Thank you, I'll look into that.
They are 2500 … One of our engineers had one for only a year … big gas hog … many recalls … traded for GMC AT4 … Perhaps a fresh F150 2.7 eB and rear e-locker would give you capabilities, MPG, and comfort
I find when locking my front differential it is very difficult to steer even in the soft stuff … So 90% of the time I’m in 4Lo it is with rear eLock …

4LO with a rear locker and good tires should get you up any wet gravel driveway I can think of.

On a side note, how in the world do you get a 1,600lb power cart up into a pickup? I'm assuming a forklift.

I drove around in a 2018 Silverado for two years 52,000 miles, loved the 4wd. Easy to use, never had an issue with it, however I did see issues on some of the Silverados (2014-2018). In cold weather they would stay stuck in 4wd...next day you go out to your truck and it wont disengage from 4wd. Easy fix, can’t remember what it was, but I did see it in the winter with these trucks.

I sure hope you are paid really well because it seems you spend pretty much every waking moment driving for work or working! I’d think the owner of the aircraft would provide you a vehicle unless this arrangement works out better for you seeing as a new vehicle every year or two is peanuts compared to the cost of owning 6 planes.

I sure hope you are paid really well because it seems you spend pretty much every waking moment driving for work or working! I’d think the owner of the aircraft would provide you a vehicle unless this arrangement works out better for you seeing as a new vehicle every year or two is peanuts compared to the cost of owning 6 planes.

I did mention it's been very worthwhile. In fact, due to my health issues, it's worked out incredibly well. I can drive without fatigue for hours on end and feel OK.

I guess the best way to say it is that I have a certain amount of energy, and when I use it up, I'm done. Driving is not energy intensive, and it leaves me enough energy to work.

Taking the airlines and walking through terminals really wipes me out.

Wow, how do you transport that cart? Seems like you would have to have a ramp deck trailer or a forklift at all times.

Hmmmmm interesting thought
Not sure what mpg would drop to with a cargo trailer? worse drag I think than a pickup. Just a swag (although at the speeds you cruise at...).

Cargo trailer has a lower loading floor, not sure how it'd work with a forklift, but the first time you have to do something out in the rain and can duck inside to keep the rain off the noggin...

Not sure what mpg would drop to with a cargo trailer? worse drag I think than a pickup. Just a swag (although at the speeds you cruise at...).

Cargo trailer has a lower loading floor, not sure how it'd work with a forklift, but the first time you have to do something out in the rain and can duck inside to keep the rain off the noggin...
The Volvo XC90 is rated to 5,000 lbs.
For comfortable towing a 5x8, I would consider the 2021 Durango Hemi with tow package.
Rated to 8700 lbs.
2021 Dodge Durango | Available R/T Tow N' Go Package & More

Or for significant more cargo capacity, this.
2021 Stealth Trailers 7X12 STEALTH TITAN Enclosed Cargo Trailer | Trailer Classifieds | Find Cargo Enclosed Trailers, Flatbed Trailers and Horse Trailers for Sale (ksltrailer.com)

The Volvo XC90 is rated to 5,000 lbs.
For comfortable towing a 5x8, I would consider the 2021 Durango Hemi with tow package.
Rated to 8700 lbs.
2021 Dodge Durango | Available R/T Tow N' Go Package & More

Or for significant more cargo capacity, this.
2021 Stealth Trailers 7X12 STEALTH TITAN Enclosed Cargo Trailer | Trailer Classifieds | Find Cargo Enclosed Trailers, Flatbed Trailers and Horse Trailers for Sale (ksltrailer.com)
Yeah, but you know what'd be better? Diesel duelly, never can be too safe or have too much power.

I kid, I kid! (although that was my first thought at reading your response :) )

My concern was the mpg. Cujet is likely getting what, mid teens while cruising? Start pulling an enclosed trailer and it'll be single digit. Maybe not so bad if it was a flatbed.

Then again, if the employer is eating the cost of gas, perhaps it's a big "don't care". I know I prefer using my cargo trailer as opposed to my truck. [Ironically I need to dig mine out, friend needs to move furniture, not sure why he needs the trailer when he has a van.] As much as I like having my pickup I'm not sure I'd buy another one, if I need towing capacity I'd probably go SUV. I'd probably regret that if I built a house, though, but who knows.

Yeah, but you know what'd be better? Diesel duelly, never can be too safe or have too much power.

I kid, I kid! (although that was my first thought at reading your response :) )

My concern was the mpg. Cujet is likely getting what, mid teens while cruising? Start pulling an enclosed trailer and it'll be single digit. Maybe not so bad if it was a flatbed.

Then again, if the employer is eating the cost of gas, perhaps it's a big "don't care". I know I prefer using my cargo trailer as opposed to my truck. [Ironically I need to dig mine out, friend needs to move furniture, not sure why he needs the trailer when he has a van.] As much as I like having my pickup I'm not sure I'd buy another one, if I need towing capacity I'd probably go SUV. I'd probably regret that if I built a house, though, but who knows.
(5) Dud Or Stud? Does The New 2021 Dodge Durango Tow N Go Ace The World's Toughest Towing Test? - YouTube

Fun video.

Back