Best 4x4 setup? Pickup truck related, not SUV or car.

The oldest of 3 F150's (2009 lariat 5.4L SuperCrew) has reached 150,000 miles and the 4x4 is acting up. Not only am I getting the dreaded "wrench" symbol when choosing 4wd, but the front left wheel only randomly engages, while banging and popping loudly. While looking at land, the truck was unable to climb a wet gravel driveway, mild grade. As only two tires spun, the front right and the left rear. (yes it has a rear limited slip, but after 150K miles of abuse, it seems ineffective. The truck probably needs a new LF IWE hub.

However, the 2018 F150 has an electronic locking rear differential and it clearly seems superior in tough going. As you get at least 3 tires driving at 100%.

Are there any trucks or brands that have anything better? I've not shopped for a truck in a few years.

There's some pick ups with a centre torsen, which can also be locked, combined with a rear locker and a high/low range in the transfer case this will be about as capable as it gets

The oldest of 3 F150's (2009 lariat 5.4L SuperCrew) has reached 150,000 miles and the 4x4 is acting up. Not only am I getting the dreaded "wrench" symbol when choosing 4wd, but the front left wheel only randomly engages, while banging and popping loudly. While looking at land, the truck was unable to climb a wet gravel driveway, mild grade. As only two tires spun, the front right and the left rear. (yes it has a rear limited slip, but after 150K miles of abuse, it seems ineffective. The truck probably needs a new LF IWE hub.

However, the 2018 F150 has an electronic locking rear differential and it clearly seems superior in tough going. As you get at least 3 tires driving at 100%.

Are there any trucks or brands that have anything better? I've not shopped for a truck in a few years.
Mid sized: Colorado ZR2 and Gladiator Rubicon have actual lockers F/R

Toyota, Nissan and Ram all have factory e-locker options. Toyota and Nissan have midsized as well. If you need front and rear ( probably not) then I believe those have been mentioned above.

Probably plastic parts broke.
I'd not be surprised.

Mid sized trucks won't work for my needs. They just don't have the room for 4 or 5 adults and the comfort for long trips. Just returned from a 5000 mile, one week trip.

I'd not be surprised.

Mid sized trucks won't work for my needs. They just don't have the room for 4 or 5 adults and the comfort for long trips. Just returned from a 5000 mile, one week trip.
Have you considered an explorer conversion van? The 2021 chevy/gmc model has the new 6.6 gas V8 that should stand up well to your excessive driving. The interior would be unmatched for the passengers.

5000 miles in one week? What did you guys do, just drive non-stop? That’s 555 miles each day for 9 days if you figure a workweek butted by weekends on each side.

While they do not come factory 4x4 you can have Quigley or Advanced 4x4 vans add it for about 12k. Just look at the hand made in the USA interior.

While they do not come factory 4x4 you can have Quigley or Advanced 4x4 vans add it for about 12k. Just look at the hand made in the USA interior.

I know at one point they had a factory all wheel drive version. Not sure if they still do. I’ve always loved vans they are the ultimate in comfort by far. Been wanting one of the newer generation chevys or gmc in your pic for a while but my old Ford E150 conversion van is still really nice and can’t see spending the big money to replace a perfectly fine van.

Back