Best 0w30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I were to theoretically get a 0w30 oil to put into my Prius or my Hyundai, what in your opinion does the best job or is the best 0w30 on the market (besides the expensive ones like Red Line or AmsOil)?

M1 0W-30 AFE is an excellent oil. I've used it with superb results and perfectly normal UOA's too.

Interestingly, a recent thread detailed the chemical makeup of various M1 oils. The AFE oils seem to contain the highest quantity of PAO's.

Originally Posted By: zerosoma
If I were to theoretically get a 0w30 oil to put into my Prius or my Hyundai, what in your opinion does the best job or is the best 0w30 on the market (besides the expensive ones like Red Line or AmsOil)?

Castrol, Mobil or Liqui Moly all do a good 0/30. Can you plug in to use a sump or block heater, as they will make a lot more difference than the exact oil type. If you plug in then a 5/30 is fine in winter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skyship

Castrol, Mobil or Liqui Moly all do a good 0/30. Can you plug in to use a sump or block heater, as they will make a lot more difference than the exact oil type. If you plug in then a 5/30 is fine in winter.

Liqui moly is not readily available in the US, it's very rare to find. Most cars in the US do not have a block heater and don't need it. There is a big difference between 0w and 5w in extreme cold temps.

Something to keep in mind: Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 is significantly lighter than M1 0W30 down to about 0 degrees. Is a 20W oil an option in either of those cars? What sort of driving conditions do they see? As has been said many, many times, there is no "best". It depends what you're trying to accomplish.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
M1 0W-30 AFE is an excellent oil. I've used it with superb results and perfectly normal UOA's too.

Interestingly, a recent thread detailed the chemical makeup of various M1 oils. The AFE oils seem to contain the highest quantity of PAO's.

Agreed.....
I'm running it in a couple of cars now and love it. It seem to take a couple thousand miles to break it in but, after that the fuel mileage improved about ten percent over the PU 5w/30 I was running before it.....still plenty of oil pressure too so it doesn't appear to have sheared down much at all after 6k plus miles.

Originally Posted By: suspiciousmind
Originally Posted By: Cujet

Agreed.....
I'm running it in a couple of cars now and love it. It seem to take a couple thousand miles to break it in but, after that the fuel mileage improved about ten percent over the PU 5w/30 I was running before it.....still plenty of oil pressure too so it doesn't appear to have sheared down much at all after 6k plus miles.

Sorry but I'm calling the [censored] card on the 10% gas mileage improvement just by switching to AFE.

You can also make your own 0W-30 with Mobil 1 oils. Four quarts of 0W-20 plus one quart of 0W-40 makes a very light 30 grade that has better cold pumpability than Mobil 1's 0W-30. Perfect if you WANT a (light) 30 grade oil. Not so much if you need to document the use of a 30 grade oil for warranty purposes.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Shouldn't a Prius use a 0w20?

Either can be used I believe, but I think EmIssions and economy are better with 0w20 so that is specced.

But when I did some research recently, as I am considering a Prius or Insight, and was trying to figure out if I could service either of the cheaply and 0w30 was an acceptable viscosity for the engine.

It is always likely that the sites I was using are more EU than US related and perhaps that is why US seems to spec 0w20.

I would use Castrol Edge 0w30 if that is the viscosity you want to run.

Last edited:

Every time I've used a 20wt oil my Prius has made some deathly noises. Switch back to a x-w-30 and it's fine again.

Every time I've used a 20wt oil my Prius has made some deathly noises. Switch back to a x-w-30 and it's fine again.

When does it make the "deathly noises"? On start-up or once up to temperature? Since every Prius I've ever heard if pretty quite on TGMO 0W-20.
Have you tried that oil?
If you have you could try M1 AFE 0W-20 or Mazda 0W-20 or Sustina 0W-20.
Or go with Hokiefyd's suggestion of adding just enough M1 0W-40 to the "noisy" 0W-20 you're currently using to reduce the noise to an acceptable level.

The lightest 0W-30 (222 VI) would likely be a 3/1 mix of Sustina 0W-20 and 0W-50, lighter than PP 5W-20 on start-up even at room temperature.

Originally Posted By: volk06
Originally Posted By: skyship

Liqui moly is not readily available in the US, it's very rare to find. Most cars in the US do not have a block heater and don't need it. There is a big difference between 0w and 5w in extreme cold temps.

You can buy any oil you want on the Internet, I always shop from a major Internet oil site as they are cheaper. Any engine benefits from a sump or block heater in winter in real cold areas where you would want to use an 0W. If you don't have a cold start issue then there is no need for an 0W oil even in very cold areas, a 5W will do just as well. 0W is only a requirement of most engines below minus 36C, which is more of a Canada and Alaska issue.

Last edited:

Cold or hot start noises, at idle or under load. With or without the stereo on???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back