Best 0w20 for Extreme Cold Start at -20F?

Silly BITOG logic. Used cars all run differently and have no commonality. Justify it all you want but changing between different 0w20 oils is irrelevant in the real world.

Caring for your vehicle and being obsessed with minutia are different things.
Listening for cold start rattle isn't "being obsessed with minutia." Being obsessed with minutia would be like comparing 5 different oils to find out which one had more calcium and magnesium by 3ppm and buying that one.

My point is that "it runs good" is a highly subjective statement. I've seen quite a few engines, especially older classics, where they claim "it runs good" and then you find it's out of time by several degrees, is pig rich, and is an unresponsive turd.

Listening for cold start rattle isn't "being obsessed with minutia." Being obsessed with minutia would be like comparing 5 different oils to find out which one had more calcium and magnesium by 3ppm and buying that one.
The minutia obsession here is thinking your ear can tell the different in startup noise between different brands of the same weight oil.

Naw, it's the belief that you can fine-tune/"optimize" your oil selection from minute variances in PPM gleaned via $20 UOA's.

1667239225906.jpg

Naw, it's the belief that you can fine-tune/"optimize" your oil selection from minute variances in PPM gleaned via $20 UOA's.
BITOG is a haven for this in many aspects. I don't think it's bad as a general practice to think deep into something. But without perspective people just go crazy with conclusions.

The minutia obsession here is thinking your ear can tell the different in startup noise between different brands of the same weight oil.
So it's your assertion that there's absolutely zero noise difference between oils of the same weight oil in an engine?

Now that the PAO has been lowered in M1 EP, I'm wondering whether there is another 0w20 oil that is best for extreme cold starts at -20 or below.
Have you tried the new M1EP yet? I get what you're saying, but there is a small possibility it's not just the PAO making for the smooth starts.

Now that the PAO has been lowered in M1 EP, I'm wondering whether there is another 0w20 oil that is best for extreme cold starts at -20 or below.
Look at the specified CCS and MRV viscosity given for each 0W if the manufacturer gives the information. The 0W with the lowest CCS and MRV viscosity would be a hair better in the 0W category. But that's kind of splitting hairs because they are all rated as a 0W oil.

So it's your assertion that there's absolutely zero noise difference between oils of the same weight oil in an engine?
2 things I'm stating:

1. Your ear is not a calibrated device. Your environment is not controlled. You CANNOT determine a noise difference this insignificant.
2. Have we ever seen any proof at all that a single digit (guestimate) reduction in decibel means anything to engine wear or life? I personally haven't.

Some people: "Engine noise means more wear."

My 281k mile LS, since new...

slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap

Some people: "Engine noise means more wear."

My 281k mile LS, since new...

slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap
Those early slapper motors, the tolerance in those bores wasn't overly tight, hahahaha. Like throwing a hotdog down a hallway some of them when the specs ended up stacked the wrong way and you got clearance city, LOL!

Those early slapper motors, the tolerance in those bores wasn't overly tight, hahahaha. Like throwing a hotdog down a hallway some of them when the specs ended up stacked the wrong way and you got clearance city, LOL!
It’s either gonna self clearance, or already have all the clearance. Already having all the clearance seems to cause less harm in my experience 😅

If you want to get maximum protection from cold and dry starts - assuming vehicle is outside, Redline high performance oil is way to go. Big advantages with flow rate and clinging to the metal due to polarized esters. Any group 3 with cake up at cold temps...
good luck!
by the way I put RL HPMO in a newly acquired Acura RSX I just got for my 15 y.o. It has 175k miles on it, and it runs so well with the Redline.
I did it because the engine was so well maintained by first owner.... every 3-4k miles. Winter will be easy as pie.

Back