Best 0w20 for Extreme Cold Start at -20F?

Now that the PAO has been lowered in M1 EP, I'm wondering whether there is another 0w20 oil that is best for extreme cold starts at -20 or below.

I think the new formula Mobil1 EP is still around 30% PAO...shouldn’t effect things too much.

But I guess if you’re looking for boutique oils that might carry the PAO you’re looking for, I’d look into HPL or Amsoil.

Mobil1 EP has always been that off the shelf everyday bottle that one could go to for that PAO, bummer that has changed. I just bought a jug of their new formula and I’m mixing it with 2.5 quarts of their old formula, for what might be my last Mobil1 extended drain. Then I might try HPL or Amsoil.

is -20°F extreme cold starting? wouldn't even require the 0W rating
There is "required" and "better." I've started at -20 with a dealer bulk 0w20 and the car rattles like mad. And I've started with the old higher PAO version of M1EP and it starts smoother by a mile.

I've also started with a 5w30 and notice more rattle at startup. Sure, a 5w30 will work, but it seems noticeably harder on the engine than the equivalent 0w20.

There is "required" and "better." I've started at -20 with a dealer bulk 0w20 and the car rattles like mad. And I've started with the old higher PAO version of M1EP and it starts smoother by a mile.

I've also started with a 5w30 and notice more rattle at startup. Sure, a 5w30 will work, but it seems noticeably harder on the engine than the equivalent 0w20.

Any oil will start thickening up long before that temperature it’s rated for.

Ok rattling is a good enough reason to look for something else. I would too.

Redline performance series is PAO/ester blend.
Yeah. I've also compared PP 0w20 to M1EP 0w20 at -20 and the M1EP starts much smoother at those temps than PP. But now M1EP's base oil is mostly natural gas like PP. So I was thinking of trying something else. Redline would be good, but it is way more expensive than M1EP.

Yeah. I've also compared PP 0w20 to M1EP 0w20 at -20 and the M1EP starts much smoother at those temps than PP. But now M1EP's base oil is mostly natural gas like PP. So I was thinking of trying something else. Redline would be good, but it is way more expensive than M1EP.
That’s the problem. Price. You can’t find anything like the M1EP in that price range.

If you have price as a factor you will be very limited or not finding anything over M1 my choice would be HPL.

Sounds like the dealer bulk 0w20 may have been 5W20. Doesn't the 0W refer to the cold starting thickness of the oil? If so, shouldn't all brands of 0W20 be similar? Like gasoline octane.

Reactions: JC1
Extreme cold start at -20 LOL well I see you have never spent a winter in Havre or Whitefish Montana!
HAHA! -20 would certainly be extreme cold to me, but you can always find someone from even colder places. -20 might seem tropical to an Alaskan that sees -50, and -50 would be balmy to a Siberian that experiences -80 every winter.

Reactions: JC1
The 0w-20 that is readily available at Walmart and others by us that I like is Castrol Edge Extended Performance. Meets some tough Mercedes specs, If I am buying an off the shelf 0w-20 that is my go-to...

Check out posting #9. It’s from Dogmeme’s cold weather adventure two years ago.

7BB0BF21-91A9-4A85-8D88-3971E2F5F3BC.png

Extreme cold start at -20 LOL well I see you have never spent a winter in Havre or Whitefish Montana!
-20 is a pretty typical cold start in mid winter, so that is why I choose that number. -40 is the coldest start I've done. We had a week where it was -30 to -34 every morning for 7 days straight. -55 is the coldest day on record, but we stayed inside.

Back