Benefit of blending with SAE30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: BuickGN

You're right in that the 30wt I run is better than your average straight 30wt. I would not recommend a dino 30wt like I do the ACD.

I figure if it meets 10w-30 standards with no VIIs, the quality of the base oil is pretty much ensured to be very good. I wouldn't go so far as to say "10w-30 vs 30 is JUST a rating unless you know more additional info". A VII-less 10w-30 is still the exception and not the rule.

The only nit I would pick is that I think *most* people would do well to tolerate the small percentage of VIIs that some modern multigrades may have in trade for better cold-start behavior in the 5- and 0w30s. In your application- probably not :)

You're right but the NO VIIs vs a small percentage of VIIs help my OCD.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: GOOMER
I am hearing a ton of people say they like the Rotella syn 5w40 in the jeep 4.0. does anyone know what group base Shell is using in it?

RTS is based on Shell's "XHVI" (extreme high viscosity index, I think) base oil. Its a Group III+ oil, severely processed and isomerized derivative of slack wax. I'm not an oil engineer (electrons are more my thing...) so some of the other guys could tell you in detail how its molecularly assembled from a byproduct of the refining process. But from what I've read, the process is every bit as "synthetic" as the way Group IV PAOs are made from natural gas, its just that the starting raw material is different and the end product isn't an olephin. Performance-wise the XHVI stuff is very similar to Group IV.

Its also similar to (maybe the same?) as the Group III+ base stock in Pennzoil Platinum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back