is there any benefit of going 'thicker' if uoa already checks out?

As we move from the theoretical into the real world, what about all those engines that hold up, in spite of using very thin oil and experiencing fuel dilution ?

From the lab to the roadway...
Makes me wonder about all older carbed engines that had to have fuel dilution issues but used and abused.

what about all those engines that hold up, in spite of using very thin oil and experiencing fuel dilution ?
This argument might give some people peace of mind, but not when it comes to my engine. Its a weak argument to claim that 5% fuel dilution is fine. How long Honda DI will hold up still remains to be seen, and yes, I saw few making to 200k

Last edited:
Honda engineers were aware of all these factors beforehand.

Facts are mixable too.

We dont know that, maybe you have some insight into Honda? Next argument is that honda is so brilliant that this was all by design?
industry norm is that fuel dilution should be under 2.5%.

I use the recommended 0w20 in the Camrys. It makes me as nervous as driving without a seatbelt. It will do fine unless something fails to cause an overheat. Then?

Honda engineers were aware of all these factors beforehand.

Facts are mixable too.
You keep stating this but without any evidence of it being true.

And beyond that, why would they do this? What responsible automaker would deliberately engineer in fuel dilution into their product? It makes no sense.

Sometimes the excuses people come up with to justify their belief is pretty amazing.

What do you surmise Honda engineers would have to say about this ?

Would they be shocked ?

Would they be surprised and concerned about their engines running on spec'd 0W20 and becoming thinner from, from , from the sneak attack from FUEL DILUTION ?!?
Fuel dilution of the oil is bad on several levels all of which are been discussed here in detail. There is nothing good nor beneficial about diluted oil. Even your oft-quoted HPL tells you that.

Both motor oil and gasoline are non-polar hydrocarbons and are miscible. When liquids are miscible, it means they will combine at any concentration without separation.

Yes a better multigrade oil with better VII will resist the temporary or permanent degradation of the VII by fuel but after that it’s the simple physics of viscosity. This is the primary means of lowering the viscosity from fuel dilution.
What happens to engine durability, across the board, for owners who use 0W20 and experience fuel dilution ?

Why is there not a greater number of anecdotes about engine failure ?

This is the relevant question, over miscibility.

What happens to engine durability, across the board, for owners who use 0W20 and experience fuel dilution ?

You really don’t know what you’re talking about do you? Sometimes it shows like here when you’re conflating miscibility with engine reliability.

Anecdotes. That is your world isn’t it? Wear increases with lower HT/HS. Or would you like to deny physics as well?

You really don’t know what you’re talking about do you? Sometimes it shows like here when you’re conflating miscibility with engine reliability.

Anecdotes. That is your world isn’t it? Wear increases with lower HT/HS. Or would you like to deny physics as well?
I did not "conflate" anything.

“wear increases with lower HT/HS”

That’s a bold statement.

Failures no, but I see the frequent trend of low mileage, newer vehicles, with oil consumption issues. Some are blamed on low piston ring tension and/or ring coking but some are also blamed on worn cylinder walls and piston rings. Manufacturers are experimenting with coatings to combat the low vis oils but, as I have seen, the coatings don't last very long.

I owned a late 80's BMW with, what I would call, an experimental "high MPG" engine that used low tension piston rings. To compensate, this engine still called for a 5w40 grade oil and got great MPG with no oil consumption.

Failures no, but I see the frequent trend of low mileage, newer vehicles, with oil consumption issues. Some are blamed on low piston ring tension and/or ring coking but some are also blamed on worn cylinder walls and piston rings. Manufacturers are experimenting with coatings to combat the low vis oils but, as I have seen, the coatings don't last very long.

I owned a late 80's BMW with, what I would call, an experimental "high MPG" engine that used low tension piston rings. To compensate, this engine still called for a 5w40 grade oil and got great MPG with no oil consumption.
That's not entirely true.

There is no evidence that I could find that a 528e used low tension rings. The engine was tuned for low rpm tq at the sacrifice of high rpm hp much like some cars today. I researched these cars heavily when I was looking for one in my younger years.

Also the oil chart in the manual is all over the map with maybe 15w40 being a good universal choice but you would easily be fine running a 10w30, heck depending on the outside temp even a straight SAE20 is acceptable. Honestly with today's oils running 5w30 wouldn't be a second thought. It's not a high strung motor that needs to rev.

Pages from Bmw-e28-528e-535i-s-m5-owners-handbook_ORIGINAL-1.jpg

What? It would be a fallacy only for those who deny the physics of film thickness. Every published paper shows there is a direct correlation between HT/HS and wear. Please provide a link to any study that shows the contrary.

You most certainly can damage an engine by using an oil with insufficient MOFT. The oil film is what prevents metal-to-metal contact.

You make some bizarre statem

I got 4-5% oil dilution at 7k miles and it was the same at 3k miles same driving style. Similar viscosity drop by 2.2-2.4 cSt. The fuel dilution stabilizes at some point. Fuel dilution is not great with any viscosity, but higher viscosity at least keeps it within manufacture recommended grade.
Why would fuel dilution ever stabilize. That does not make sense to me... but if it is the case, you would be advised to choose between 3k oil changes or 7.5k oil changes, since there is no middle ground.

Why would fuel dilution ever stabilize. That does not make sense to me... but if it is the case, you would be advised to choose between 3k oil changes or 7.5k oil changes, since there is no middle ground.
Because fuel is eliminated to some extent during driving. It completely depends on the amount and the cause.

What? It would be a fallacy only for those who deny the physics of film thickness. Every published paper shows there is a direct correlation between HT/HS and wear. Please provide a link to any study that shows the contrary.

You most certainly can damage an engine by using an oil with insufficient MOFT. The oil film is what prevents metal-to-metal contact.

You make some bizarre statements including others that I didn’t quote.
My statements in this regard generally support the use of 0W20 in the many, many modern cars in which it is specified in the U.S. I used the word "wear" loosely and it is not what I meant. The fallacy is that somewhere down the road, a car that is specced for 0W20 will have engine failure that could have been avoided if, to paraphrase, the owner had the smarts to understand the CAFE conspiracy, and the courage to ignore the manufacturer recommendation and move to at least an XW30 oil. The fact of the matter is that you cannot find an example of this particular engine failure anywhere. It's far more dangerous to miss oil changes and maintainance. Most cars in the modern era fall apart around their running engines. I would cede that no harm is done choosing thicker oils.

So the question is whether you actually believe that OW20 oils provide adequate protection. I think they do, and I think real world experience bears this out.

Back