Beef Stew

Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided to make a Beef Stew this morning. I found a recipe from Emeril online and it had very good reviews: FoodNetwork.com

I decided to make 9 quarts total in a 12 quart pot. I used 3 lbs mix of Angus Boneless Rump Roast and 3lbs of Angus Bottom Round Roast. I realized I grabbed two different meats when I got back from the grocery store but was decided to roll with it.

I added the following (not called for in the recipe):
Crushed Red Pepper
Red Wine Vinegar
Garlic Salt
Coffee
Soy Sauce
Old Bay
2 Garlic Cloves
Evan Williams Bourbon

This was my first beef stew but I found that I take objection to Emeril's recipe. In my opinion the pearl onions should be cooked from the beginning. I decided to add them 4 hours into cooking and I felt they could have been broken down a little more but they were still delicious.

I started prepping at 9am and cooking was completed at 6:30pm. I'm glad I made 9 quarts because it's a lot of work so mind as well get a nice big yield.

Pics of the end result (I decided to also cook up and add some white rice in the dish) and of course some fresh buttered bread. I added a tablespoon of Frank's Red Hot for some extra kick.

I would definitely do a few things different next time (the onions) and I would likely add more carrots but overall it came out very good.

Pictures from beginning to end

Last edited:
When I make them, I use a couple of varieties of root vegetables, carrot, parsnip and swede (type of mild turnip).

Where you used soy, we use Worchstershire, vegemite, and a little tomato paste and a can of guinness, and a tin of tomatoes.

Then really finely chopped pumpkin, which melts and thickens the sauce.

Dumplings are my fave (cook "biscuit" or scone dough in the top of the stew the last hour)...kids prefer mash.

Yours looks pretty darned good 'though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back