Bedding in the brakes.

Is this even necessary these days? I have done it for as long as I've been a gearhead. Usually with the following procedure, unless instructed otherwise by the brake pad/rotor manufacturer.
- 3-4 hard stops from 45mph to 5mph.
- 8-10 hard stops from 60mph to 15mph.
- Ride around until brakes cool off.
- All stops are hard and gradual, but not enough to engage the ABS or lock up the brakes. Never to a complete stop.
So that is generally the procedure I follow, but seems like thousands of non-car people let the shop replace the brakes, and ride on with no I'll effects. Do any of you bed-in your new brakes?

The minor inconvenience of bedding in the brakes outweighs potential problems if proper bedding in is skipped.

Reactions: Pew
3-4 hard stops from 45mph to 5mph.
...and done. Typical daily driver pads don't need more than that.

The first two stops will not be as good as the third one, by that point you should have normal braking performance. Always test drive after brake work before considering the car ready for regular use. If the car has ABS, test slamming on the brakes hard enough to activate ABS.

Last edited:
Also if there are drum brakes, do several 5 to 0 mph stops in reverse to set the adjusters. Some drivers never have occasion to use the brakes in reverse.

The reason for this question is that a couple hours ago I replaced pads & rotors all around on the 2010 Toyota Avalon. Did about 15 miles, no bed-in done yet. Debating if I should even bother, as currently it stops great, no sounds or vibrations...

Recently installed new pads and rotors on the Subaru. There was no literature accompanying the pads for break in, so I didn't bother. Car stops fine.

Same routine I’ve been doing for 30 years and no noise or problems.

I don't think I have ever heard of anyone bedding in the brakes on a new car and they all seem to stop ok.
I've done the same thing, put on new pads and rotors then make a bunch of hard stops.
When I drive out off the dealership with my new ride I'm not thinking about working those brakes.
Maybe I should????:D:unsure:;)

I put had new front rotors and pads on my installed on Honda Civic last week. I didn't even think about bedding in the brakes. I did make sure they worked before I had to stop for a car or stop sign etc. I made it to 90,000 miles on the Civic before I had to replace the rotors and they were still probably ok. I did replace the pads once because I couldn't get the rotors off.

New pads and rotors, most cars don't need bedding in, but change just pads and it's a different story. Especially if the pad changed compound.

That said, I always bedded customers brakes in on the test-drive and you could feel them getting better the further you went in the procedure. It also reduced the chances of brake squeal developing later.

get performance pads and bedding in is definitely needed, you even need to redo it if you run some of them on the road for a while.

Some pads need them, others don't.

Akebono recommends gentle braking for the first 500 or so miles.

Many of the "Performance pads" may need to be heated up to bed the brakes.

Centric Posi-quiet Ceramic, while it claims it doesn't need to be bedded, I have found after bedding the brakes, they performed a lot better.

I got these brakes, as I always had great experience with Detroit Axle brakes. And 10-year warranty for the sub-$190 price is quite nice. I guess I'll let it roll for now, without bedding procedures this time. If anything - hopefully Detroit Axle swaps it out under that 10-year warranty. But even if they won't - I'll just cut the rotors and slap new pads on there, in case issues arise. Thank you all for the replies.

Do you do this with a new car too?
I never do this and the brakes always work fine. Never have any warped rotors either.

Do you do this with a new car too?
I never do this and the brakes always work fine. Never have any warped rotors either.
New car? What's that? Never had one, so idk.

Some people like cougars. Some like old wine. I find joy in older higher mileage cars 😀. Or maybe I'm just a cheapskate who likes the first few owners to take the depreciation penalty.
As result I end up performing brake jobs on all my cars, and always (until now) bedded in the brakes within 5 miles after installation. Depending on how the brakes turn out on this Avalon without bedding them in - I may just stop this practice going forward.

Reactions: wlk
Bed them in if the pad manufacturer instructs you to do so. If you track the car I would. I don't bed pads in anymore. The last time I did, was a set of performance friction carbon metallic pads. Before that ,pads for a Porsche 914.

Not bedded pads in since.

Back