Bead Damage

"Old" tires definitely tear, how and where OPs pic shows. I see it a lot up here when people use one set of rims for snow- and summer tires. Newer ones roll over the rim flange with less creaking and popping, and more elasticity.

I'd be a little disappointed to see a 4 year old tire tear.

I try like heck to get a set of rims for every set of tires, to minimize this wear and damage.

TPMS maintenance complicates things; I'd hate to tear a tire up on account of a low battery.

I, like atikovi, would mount this up to see if it holds air. If it does, it does.

And I think that happened in mounting not dismounting. It is common for the bead toe to tear when the last bit goes over the flange.

Sorry, but those tires are toast!
Do you think that happened as a function of being mounted , dismounted more than once? Or is it the age of the tires? What did the operator due in error to cause this? Or all of the above together ?

Do you think that happened as a function of being mounted , dismounted more than once? Or is it the age of the tires? What did the operator due in error to cause this? Or all of the above together ?
This can happen on a brand new, recently made tire. It's operator error.

I am a firm believer in lots of mounting lube. I think the liquid kind works best - like Ru-Glyde. The lube needs to be put on everywhere the tire touches the rim and on the rim everywhere it touches the tire. That means bead flats, bead seats, flanges, and bead toe.

The next thing is care in mounting. As the top bead tries to go over the rim flange, it needs to be watched to make sure it isn't going to tear the bead toe. If it looks suspect, back off, and try again.

Back