Bead Damage

I had some 2018 Falken tires taken off their rims, and chunks of rubber chipped out of the bead area. The technician said that the tires were hard. I'm a little surprised as the tires are only 4 years old.

Attachments

• IMG_1091.jpeg
    IMG_1091.jpeg
    166 KB · Views: 335
  • IMG_1090.jpeg
    IMG_1090.jpeg
    204.1 KB · Views: 328
That is definitely machine operator error and the tires are now scrap. Sorry.

I've done that while mounting low profile tires. Now if I have to change anything lower than 50 series, I'll probably take it to a shop. That damage doesn't look too bad. Just some chunks of rubber missing. Bead doesn't look too damaged if at all. Personally I would run it.

New tires going on are 215/45/17. I hope they have more flex going on than the 205s. I am going to ask the shop to be a little more careful.

Maybe I take a tire store's motivation into account when they use scare tactics to sell more tires. I see the side of the bead doesn't have any chunks of missing rubber and that is what seals it to the rim. IF after mounting it doesn't hold air, scrap it, but unlikely it wont.

Maybe I take a tire store's motivation into account when they use scare tactics to sell more tires. I see the side of the bead doesn't have any chunks of missing rubber and that is what seals it to the rim. IF after mounting it doesn't hold air, scrap it, but unlikely it wont.
I would think the broken bead is a recipe for a spectacular failure under cornering stress.

The bead isn't broken, just some rubber missing.
The internal cord may, or may not be broken.

The bead most definitely is broken. Missing rubber. That’s broken.

I’m not selling tires, so I have no vested interested, but I cannot condone mounting that broken piece of junk.

I've seen many beads that got torn also during mounting, and you wouldn't even know until you see the tire comes back off. I've had it happen a couple times to me, and I know better. Mounting a 20-in, 25 series run flat tire is very much a challenge. You have to stop, slow down and look closely at the edge of the bead just before it slips over the edge the end of the rotation of the table. It can easily happen if you just stand on the pedal and hope the tire doesn't get caught between the mounting head and the wheel. Happens in the blink of an eye.

Back