Battery Prices

Can somone explain to me the near 100$ difference in age batteries here? Wally World sells their platinum 760CC H6 AGM battery for $169, Weize sells their 760CC H6 for the same $169. Oreillys is $250, same specs, autozone $250 same specs, all have 3 year warranty. The only one different was a batteries plus Duracell which had 4 year warranty for $257. These batteries all have one thing in common, they are identical in case shape, even down to the 4 “vent” looking things just above the duralast name, which leads me to believe they are of the same manufacturer. What gives with the price differences?
IMG_1843.jpeg

Autozone batteries are all over the map as far as pricing. I just replaced the battery in my Kubota tractor, which takes the Honda Civic group size. I wanted AGM due to the vibration of the diesel engine. Napa and OReilly were similar priced, Advance was not much more, and Walmart near me just didn't have any in stock. Autozone was at least $100 more for the same battery.

The difference is what you get with the price.

Costco has a great price on car batteries. But you go find your own, put it in yourself, and their hours and locations are limited if you need a warranty replacement.

Walmart has a good price. More hours and locations, but again, all they do is scan it at checkout - that's it.

Auto parts stores have "worse" prices on a battery BUT:
1. Generally more locations and longer hours than Costco, although Walmart has similar presence and even longer hours than most parts stores so that may not be a factor.
2. You can go in not knowing anything and they can look up which size/type you need in the computer.
3. If store staffing is solid, weather is acceptable, and your vehicle has an easy to change battery that doesn't require any computer programming or resets, they can install it for free. This has a value. Now, many modern vehicles, parts stores can't just install the battery, and so in this case you are on your own or have to take it to a shop anyway. But for your average/older vehicle, the higher price of the battery is offset by the free installation.

So it just depends on your location, the overall convenience, if you want help, if a parts store can install it or you have to take half the car apart to get to it, etc. Even though the batteries are pretty much comparable everywhere regardless of the sticker or brand on it.

one explain to me the near 100$ difference in age batteries here? Wally World sells their platinum 760CC H6 AGM battery for $169, Weize sells their 760CC H6 for the same $169. Oreillys is $250, same specs, autozone $250 same specs, all have 3 year warranty. The only one different was a batteries plus Duracell which had 4 year warranty for $257. These batteries all have one thing in common, they are identical in case shape, even down to the 4 “vent” looking things just above the duralast name, which leads me to believe they are

Costco offers 3 year warranty and Walmart offers 4 year warranty on the same battery other than the label.

I had a walmart H7 AGM die right at the 4 year mark. It might have lasted longer, but it worked as intended for a car that sat 99% of the time.

Was AGM battery technology widely available and used ten years ago re: car batteries?
AGM came out in the 80's and by the 2000's was mainstream. So yes.
But there is a reason I and many others chose not to run them.
But batteries in general have doubled in price over the course of 10 years. #inflation

Same here all the prices are double or triple , talking automotive parts. For instance official Toyota’s dealership are charging double for oil and filters changes (petrol Corolla engine) and some visual inspection. Friend told me 300 usd vs 600 usd (this year). Speechless…

For those in selected areas, check Menards. They sell AC Delco's built by the Korean conglomerate Yuasa for reasonable prices and at least a 3 year warranty. I have only bought the standard lead acid. The AGM may not be available or as much of a bargain.

Reactions: RAR
An easy way to compare prices of just about anything is to use the gov's own data. Which they gladly provide:
Eggs 12ct: https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/APU0000708111

And then you can see that most of the time....the data is wildly off from what is being advertised.

You could also the use the way back machine to go to websites in the past.
For example, walmart

So like I said, batteries back in the day were in fact, 100$, and back in the day I mean 2019.

Attachments

• eggs.jpg
    eggs.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 1
Back