Battery powered lawnmower

Update-
I try to be as accurate as I can in here and will correct anything that I feel I should word differently. This is one of those times.
I made a comment about $700 price tags for self propelled I did see some models in Home Depot that to me, first glance, seemed reasonable for closer to $500 that COULD make a buying decision for me IF I can confirm that the model I would be considering can cut as good as a gasoline powered one on a lawn that I maintain like a golf course.

Low cut, thick lawn, the lawn mower has to have a perfect cut and I have become a big fan of Honda mowers with the "twin blade" set up.
A quick look up is the electrics except for the most expensive up to $1000 are not great at bagging clippings, that wouldnt work for me. We will see.

Im not at the buying decision just yet, will be moving into a brand new home in 4 weeks and honestly as of right now landscapers have nothing installed so that is at the bottom of the list.
Electric would be great as I would not have to store gas or smell it in the garage but it will take some convincing that I can buy an electric of high quality at a reasonable to me price vs gas. Im not willing to compromise on cut and bagging.

After a quick glance at CR it's still hard to beat the Gas Powered Honda's prices around $500/600 for reliability, overall cut, bagging and clippings without bagging. I guess I'll figure out what I will do someday.

Last edited:
Update-
I try to be as accurate as I can in here and will correct anything that I feel I should word differently. This is one of those times.
I made a comment about $700 price tags for self propelled I did see some models in Home Depot that to me, first glance, seemed reasonable for closer to $500 that COULD make a buying decision for me IF I can confirm that the model I would be considering can cut as good as a gasoline powered one on a lawn that I maintain like a golf course.

Low cut, thick lawn, the lawn mower has to have a perfect cut and I have become a big fan of Honda mowers with the "twin blade" set up.
A quick look up is the electrics except for the most expensive up to $1000 are not great at bagging clippings, that wouldnt work for me. We will see.

Im not at the buying decision just yet, will be moving into a brand new home in 4 weeks and honestly as of right now landscapers have nothing installed so that is at the bottom of the list.
Electric would be great as I would not have to store gas or smell it in the garage but it will take some convincing that I can buy an electric of high quality at a reasonable to me price vs gas. Im not willing to compromise on cut and bagging.

After a quick glance at CR it's still hard to beat the Gas Powered Honda's prices around $500/600 for reliability, overall cut, bagging and clippings without bagging. I guess I'll figure out what I will do someday.
At the moment, I think if cut quality is your main concern then a Toro Recycler or Honda gas powered mower is your best bet. These seem to consistently be the top choices of my small engine customers who are concerned about cut quality. Of the ones who choose electric mowers, cut quality is usually near the bottom of the list over convenience. The Lawn Care Nut has quite a few youtube videos showing the cut quality of different mowers with Southern grasses.

69 minutes run time is pretty good, the issue is that number comes from when the battery is brand new and mowing in perfect conditions. As that battery ages, or if the grass gets out of hand, the run time will diminish a bit. For some that isn't an issue since they use the mower mainly for trimming or a smaller yard. If a charge barely lasts the entire yard when brand new, it's best to buy two batteries.
My 2016 EGo 7.5Ah battery still delivers 50 minutes of real world mulching.

Some years ago I lazily decided the back yard does not need to be mowed as often as the front. So now I easily mow the front on one charge. The back another day on one charge. Never mind I have acquired other EGo tools and several other 7.5Ah batteries so I could easily swap battery and keep mowing.

At the moment, I think if cut quality is your main concern then a Toro Recycler or Honda gas powered mower is your best bet. These seem to consistently be the top choices of my small engine customers who are concerned about cut quality. Of the ones who choose electric mowers, cut quality is usually near the bottom of the list over convenience. The Lawn Care Nut has quite a few youtube videos showing the cut quality of different mowers with Southern grasses.
Thanks for the confirmation. Yes, agree with the Honda statement. I grew an incredible lawn made up of Zoysia. Not kidding, anyone who walked past our home or drives by would comment, including anyone who ever walked up to the door (LOL)
We just sold that house while it was still green OCT 2022 in contract. Sold the following month, the landscaping and lawn was always the talk, new buyer is afraid he wont be able to maintain it.
It really was the talk of the community, not kidding.
Anyway, cut is important, as I expect on our soon to close new home I will work the lawn to the same standard over time and when I "get there" it will be like a fine carpet which creates a challenge for lawn mowers. When you think about it, with the lawn so thick it really has to be good at picking up as there is no place to cycle the clippings down to the ground.

I see you are from CT, Ive been growing Zoysia, well actually my dad when I was growing up for many decades now. I grew up on Long Island NY and spent most my whole life there and with a Zoysia Lawn. Much more easy in the South since it's a warm weather grass.
When we moved south 16 years ago into a new home the builder put in Bermuda grass. Bermuda grass can be awesome grass but I found it to be susceptible to, lack of a better word (piling up) by mid summer and gosh the fungus issues over time was crazy. So after some research I learned zoysia will overtake Bermuda grass, I then ordered cases of 3x3 plugs, maybe 4x4. and planted them throughout the property roughly 6 feet apart which is huge spacing but wasnt to concerned its not that my Bermuda looked terrible, was still better then all or most others but I just knew it could be better. I was shocked how a few short years later my entire lawn was carefree thick as a carpet Zoysia.
The only problem is its thick as a son of a gun and you do need a good mower. .

Last edited:
Back