Battery powered impact wrenches for automotive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've only had one, of three different cordless 1/2 inch impacts, that had enough nuts to remove lug nuts. Ingersoll Rand V7000 series, rated at like 700 ft lb. And, I got the one with the extended shaft, so I can use flip sockets, without an extension. They overate the torque on all of them IMO though.

Even latest brushless impact drivers are able to remove/tighten lug nuts. So that's an easy task for an impact wrench.

I have the old ryobi 18v 1/2", rated at only 200 ft lbs. I've never had an issue with it, seems to work quite well for me. I do hear some folks saying it won't even remove their lug nuts at 80 ft lbs.,not sure what's wrong with their impacts, mine does that easy.

Originally Posted By: ajchien
I have the old ryobi 18v 1/2", rated at only 200 ft lbs. I've never had an issue with it, seems to work quite well for me. I do hear some folks saying it won't even remove their lug nuts at 80 ft lbs.,not sure what's wrong with their impacts, mine does that easy.

There are different models.

Mine is 1/4" and rated for 125 ft/lb which easily removes my lugnuts.

I have the older model of P234G new one below

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-ONE-18-Volt-1-4-in-Cordless-Impact-Driver-Tool-Only-P236/100049838

Last edited:
I just bought the big Milwaukee fuel 1/2 inch impact this weekend. It is rated for 725 foot pounds. It is nice. I have lots of work planned for it once I get more sockets and extensions.

Originally Posted By: jhellwig
I just bought the big Milwaukee fuel 1/2 inch impact this weekend. It is rated for 725 foot pounds. It is nice. I have lots of work planned for it once I get more sockets and extensions.

Never seen one that has that much torque.
crazy.gif

Are you sure those ain't inch/lb?

link please

Quote:
725 in-lb? That is 60 ft-lb! Don't you think that is just a little bit low for a 1/2 impact?

Originally Posted By: Stewie
Originally Posted By: Vikas
Quote:
725 in-lb? That is 60 ft-lb! Don't you think that is just a little bit low for a 1/2 impact?

As you can tell I am all about the metric system
laugh.gif

Some impacts have even less

210 in/lb

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-18-Vol...WT02Z/205577352

Quite expensive too $220 for m18

Huh? Your link shows Makita has "BL brushless motor delivers 210 ft. lbs. of maximum torque"

The real M8 High Torque https://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/cordless/2763-22 "Superior performance: Delivers up to 700 ft-lbs of maximum fastening torque, up to 1,100 ft-lbs of nut-busting torque and up to 2X more runtime"

Quote:

laugh.gif

210 in/lb

There is a huge different between those little impact drivers with a hex and a cordless impact wrench with a 1/2" square drive.

You are obliviously highly confused. Your link IS a 1/2" square drive 210 FT-LB impact wrench

The org one is a 700ft-lb high power impact wrench.

The ones rated in in-lb are impact drivers normally used for driving large screws lag bolts etc.

I have a Porter cable impact driver that is rated 1500in-lb
it wont do lugnuts if they are corroded on all winter.
I usually hit them with a breaker bar for a quarter-turn then zip them all off and on with the impact driver.

220$ is not a high price to pay for an impact Wrench with 700 ft-lb.

to get in-lb from ft-lb multiply by 12.

Last edited:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-ONE-18-Volt-1-4-in-Cordless-Impact-Driver-Tool-Only-P236/100049838

Yeah... good luck with that. That's just a 1/4" impact driver/gun... typically used with driver bits (Phillips, hex, square, etc...) and used around the house to screw things. It could remove some smaller fasteners, but no way in [censored] is it removing lug nuts.

Just because lug nuts are torqued to 60-80ft-lbs, doesn't mean that's all you need to remove them. I would say you need at least 150+ to account for rust and friction (break-away torque).

We have a 1/2" Snap-On and even that takes a sec or two to break-free lug nuts... rated around 200 ft-lbs. Nothing beats the 1/2" air impact SO MG725 1200 ft-lbs.

Originally Posted By: bmwpowere36m3

We have a 1/2" Snap-On and even that takes a sec or two to break-free lug nuts... rated around 200 ft-lbs. Nothing beats the 1/2" air impact SO MG725 1200 ft-lbs.

I would hesitate to say nothing beats it... however it is a very nice air impact

it not 1200ft-lb the 1195 is the "nut breaking torque" which is not a reliable measurement. Kind of like "peak power" for amps or speakers.

Quote:

MG725 Features:
Unit delivers an outstanding 1,190 ft-lb (1,613 N•m) of Bolt Break Away Torque!
810 ft-lb (1,094 N•m) of Recommended Working Torque

I feel battery impact and air impact are different tools for different uses. Its ok to have both.

The ir 2235 or even the aircat 1150 have a higher torque rating.. that doesn't make them nicer. but considerably less expensive? yep.

Originally Posted By: Rand

I would hesitate to say nothing beats it... however it is a very nice air impact

it not 1200ft-lb the 1195 is the "nut breaking torque" which is not a reliable measurement. Kind of like "peak power" for amps or speakers.

Quote:

MG725 Features:
Unit delivers an outstanding 1,190 ft-lb (1,613 N•m) of Bolt Break Away Torque!
810 ft-lb (1,094 N•m) of Recommended Working Torque

I feel battery impact and air impact are different tools for different uses. Its ok to have both.

The ir 2235 or even the aircat 1150 have a higher torque rating.. that doesn't make them nicer. but considerably less expensive? yep.

Details, details….
wink.gif

That said, I agree. Air vs. battery impacts both have their place. However I've yet to meet a fastener that couldn't be persuaded with the MG… on occasion the acetylene gives a little extra persuasion.

Quote:

laugh.gif

210 in/lb

Huh? Your link shows Makita has "BL brushless motor delivers 210 ft. lbs. of maximum torque"

The real M8 High Torque https://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/cordless/2763-22 "Superior performance: Delivers up to 700 ft-lbs of maximum fastening torque, up to 1,100 ft-lbs of nut-busting torque and up to 2X more runtime"

What I meant is that there are impacts with low torque such as those.

As for the wrench that he has, is quite expensive at $220 USD

Last edited:
Quote:

laugh.gif

210 in/lb

There is a huge different between those little impact drivers with a hex and a cordless impact wrench with a 1/2" square drive.

You are obliviously highly confused. Your link IS a 1/2" square drive 210 FT-LB impact wrench

The org one is a 700ft-lb high power impact wrench.

The ones rated in in-lb are impact drivers normally used for driving large screws lag bolts etc.

I have a Porter cable impact driver that is rated 1500in-lb
it wont do lugnuts if they are corroded on all winter.
I usually hit them with a breaker bar for a quarter-turn then zip them all off and on with the impact driver.

220$ is not a high price to pay for an impact Wrench with 700 ft-lb.

to get in-lb from ft-lb multiply by 12.
PS. Stewie you dont have an impact wrench

you have a hex impact driver.

Does the job though.

I can't find one in Canuckland under $400

PS: Closest thing I found was 325ft-lb is $700 which would be way cheaper if it were in USD

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.12--inch--m28-cordless-impact-wrench.1000730445.html

Last edited:

Yeah... good luck with that. That's just a 1/4" impact driver/gun... typically used with driver bits (Phillips, hex, square, etc...) and used around the house to screw things. It could remove some smaller fasteners, but no way in [censored] is it removing lug nuts.

Just because lug nuts are torqued to 60-80ft-lbs, doesn't mean that's all you need to remove them. I would say you need at least 150+ to account for rust and friction (break-away torque).

I digress

I thought of getting an air powered impact wrench but I did not have $1000 spare for the compressor.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back