Battery negative terminal loose

Probably need to address the loose terminal but.......

What is dielectric grease? Despite the fact it has "electric" right there in the name, it's a fairly common misconception that dielectric grease is capable of conducting electricity. In actual fact, dielectric grease is an insulator and doesn't conduct electricity

Inspect the terminal for cracks. If it was tight on this same battery before, something has changed.

Proper installation is to loosen the bolt considerably and spread the metal if necessary so you can push the terminal all the way down on the battery post. There should be some post showing above the top of the terminal. Then tighten the bolt.

When a battery develops corrosion on the terminals it indicates the battery is leaking gas where the terminal exits the case. These batteries are not long for this world.
The battery in question is less than 2 years old. You suggest replacing it?
Probably need to address the loose terminal but.......

What is dielectric grease? Despite the fact it has "electric" right there in the name, it's a fairly common misconception that dielectric grease is capable of conducting electricity. In actual fact, dielectric grease is an insulator and doesn't conduct electricity
Thanks for the comment. I was not sure. I just googled and found dielectric grease used in a couple of videos. Since I had it handy, I used it. Do you recommend wiping all off and reinstalling the terminals?
Inspect the terminal for cracks. If it was tight on this same battery before, something has changed.

Proper installation is to loosen the bolt considerably and spread the metal if necessary so you can push the terminal all the way down on the battery post. There should be some post showing above the top of the terminal. Then tighten the bolt.
I did. Didn't find anything obvious, unless there are microcracks and not visible to the naked eyes (My vision is not great to begin with).

Finally, I got the shims from AutoZone and installed them. It's pretty tight now.

Wasn't my truck but a farmer I worked for used a roofing nail, he also had a rag stuffed in the oil fill hole. This truck was not licensed and never left the farm.

Wasn't there someone who had a BMW and used a sock for an oil fill cap, and it somehow got wrapped around the camshaft?

Why yes, yes there was. Reported here, in fact:

Thanks for the comment. I was not sure. I just googled and found dielectric grease used in a couple of videos. Since I had it handy, I used it. Do you recommend wiping all off and reinstalling the terminals?

Dielectric grease will get displaced from the metal to metal contact when the clamp is tightened. So it should not cause any problems.

1/2 or 3/4 copper pipe makes a nice shim. Cut a short piece the length of the post. Cut that the long way to make a crescent. Slide that in and clamp her down.

Back