Battery for '15 F-150 4wd 2.7L

an H8 will fit, by the way. Only the blanket can’t upsize. I’m not sure the cost difference between the h6 and h8.

Part #: BH48H6730A (48H6)

Motorcraft Parts Logo

Usage: Quantity per Vehicle:1, 2015 - 2019, F-150, Liter:2.7, Cylinder(s):6, BoreIn:3.27, StrokeIn:3.27, FLEETTOUGH/COMMERCIAL SERIES, CCA: 760, OE CCA: Read more
Section: Ford Motorcraft BD200For your prices and availability select a dealer
Pick up only

MSRP: $148.75​

Core Charge: $16.00​

That's not AGM.

Part #: BH48H6730A (48H6)

Motorcraft Parts Logo

Usage: Quantity per Vehicle:1, 2015 - 2019, F-150, Liter:2.7, Cylinder(s):6, BoreIn:3.27, StrokeIn:3.27, FLEETTOUGH/COMMERCIAL SERIES, CCA: 760, OE CCA: Read more
Section: Ford Motorcraft BD200For your prices and availability select a dealer
Pick up only

MSRP: $148.75​

That is the wrong battery for the application. The correct one is BAGM-48H6-760. Ford has a policy that if a non AGM Motorcraft battery is installed in a vehicle with stop/start, they will refuse to honor any battery warranty since it is incorrect for the application.

That is the wrong battery for the application. The correct one is BAGM-48H6-760. Ford has a policy that if a non AGM Motorcraft battery is installed in a vehicle with stop/start, they will refuse to honor any battery warranty since it is incorrect for the application.
Weird, because thats the one Ford parts website returned for it. (and the only one IIRC)...

Part #: BAGM48H6760 (48H6)

Motorcraft Parts Logo

For your prices and availability select a dealer
Pick up only

MSRP: $199.95​

Qty
Add To Cart

This part does not fit your vehicle. Please select a new vehicle to view related parts​

Anyhows.

I'd do the AGM anyway if it fits, and it should since its the same BCI Group.

Last edited:
I may be wrong about the battery. First, we need to know exactly when Ford began putting auto stop/start in the F-150.
It became standard across the line in 2017. If I am wrong, I apologize.
East Penn listed an AGM battery.
If the owners manual is available, it should be in there.
I would contact your local Ford parts person and have them look it up. Have the VIN handy.

Weird, because thats the one Ford parts website returned for it. (and the only one IIRC)...

Anyhows.

I'd do the AGM anyway if it fits, and it should since its the same BCI Group.
The catalog shows that battery only fitting the 3.5L GTDI and 5.0L which are not equipped with start/stop. All of the 2.7L F-150 applications have start stop. They even list a BAGM-94RH7-800 for some 2.7L applications but none that are not an AGM. The fordparts . com page is wildly inaccurate, I don't trust much of anything on there compared to using one of the catalogs a parts department would use or the Build of Materials for the vehicle.

The catalog shows that battery only fitting the 3.5L GTDI and 5.0L which are not equipped with start/stop. All of the 2.7L F-150 applications have start stop. They even list a BAGM-94RH7-800 for some 2.7L applications but none that are not an AGM. The fordparts . com page is wildly inaccurate, I don't trust much of anything on there compared to using one of the catalogs a parts department would use or the Build of Materials for the vehicle.
What model year did Ford add the Stop/Start feature to the F-150? I would imagine that the VIN number would be a big help.
I do know that East Penn shows an AGM 48/H6. I’m going to do some more digging.

Update: It appears that there are two different batteries for the 2015 Ford F-150 with the 2.7.
The XL and XLT require a H6
The Lariat, Platinum and King Ranch require a H7.
Owners Manual and VIN are important to get the correct battery.

I almost always use the VIN. Like so far today the only time I didn't use a VIN was on a 95 F-150 for the ignition switch actuators in the steering column, because those I literally just walk to the shelf and grab without looking up.

The 2.7 came out in 2015 with the aluminum body trucks which is also when start-stop was available.

So, Ford lists two different size AGM batteries for the 2015 F-150 with the 2.7 Ecoboost.
48/H6 for the XL & XLT
94R H/7 for the Lariat, King Ranch & Platinum.

I almost always use the VIN. Like so far today the only time I didn't use a VIN was on a 95 F-150 for the ignition switch actuators in the steering column, because those I literally just walk to the shelf and grab without looking up.

The 2.7 came out in 2015 with the aluminum body trucks which is also when start-stop was available.
I think we’ve finally got it nailed down.
The 2015 F-150 with the 2.7 is going to require an AGM battery. Which of the two depends on the VIN and or trim level of the truck.
When my 2020 needs a battery, I will get mine at my local dealership. I’m already in the system.

Last edited:
2.7 f150s have always had start stop from inception in 2015. Other engines added it later.

Xl and xlt get one agm, lariats get a different one but both are agms.

Unless you get into forscan and change battery types, between the bms and start stop, a non agm is a bad idea.

Also, resetting the bms with forscan or at the dealer is a smart idea so bms charges a new battery - not assuming an old one.

Agm. It seems to be the boards consensus that the 2.7 gets an agm. I pulled mine out and swapped in an H8 in place of the original H6 (I’ve got an XL). The H6 that came out sloshed around. It was not agm. I’m solidly in the SE where it‘s a hotter climate.

Back