Bathroom nail pop repair mystery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by PW01
I'm looking at Zinsser BIN which is shellac based and Zinsser Cover Stain which is oil based. Reccomdation?

Bin is an alcohol based shellac, great for spot priming water stains, knots, etc. They advertise it as a problem solver primer and claim it can be used to prime entire rooms. I don't recommend it, it dries too fast, and very hard, and can become brittle, causing a new set of problems. Cover stain is a better choice, but it too dries fast. I suggested an old fashioned slow drying oil base primer for a reason. The reason is it will penetrate deeper into the ceiling paint you have on the ceiling now, which is most likely a high clay content flat paint, not good in high moisture areas like your bathroom.

As far as the 123 primer, Aqua-Lock, or similar primers which have a sheen, they're OK, but you're still having problems. Those primers are latex and breathe a little, allowing moisture through. A good slow drying oil base primer does almost no"breathing" you want that to keep the moisture out. Check out Benjamin Moore Fresh Start 024 Alkyd Primer. If you don't have a BM dealer in your area, look into a Sherwin Williams equivalent product.

Having said all of that, if moisture has damaged the back of the drywall, or there is mildew there you are most likely still going to have problems at some point in time.

Regarding the K&B paint, some offer it in Satin or Semi Gloss, both will be fine. I prefer Satin, it has less of a shine.

HTH

A quick update for those who may have, or have had, this issue. Problem solved! Thanks to my new friend demarpaint this problem is finally solved. He suggested that I prime the ceiling using a slow drying oil based primer and follow with 2 coats of a kitchen and bath paint. The primer he recommended was Benjamin Moore Fresh Start 024. I gave the room 1 coat of that and gave it 24 hours to dry. After some reading, I settled on Sherwin-Williams Duration Home Interior Acrylic Latex satin sheen. This isn't listed as a dedicated K&B paint but it has the agents that inhibit the growth of mold and mildew, and it's what the manager of the Sherwin-Williams store recommended for situation. I applied two coats with 24 drying time between them. I gave the room 2 days to dry before showering and waited 4 days to test it with a long hot shower. If those spots didn't show themselves after last night's shower they never will!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PW01
A quick update for those who may have, or have had, this issue. Problem solved! Thanks to my new friend demarpaint this problem is finally solved. He suggested that I prime the ceiling using a slow drying oil based primer and follow with 2 coats of a kitchen and bath paint. The primer he recommended was Benjamin Moore Fresh Start 024. I gave the room 1 coat of that and gave it 24 hours to dry. After some reading, I settled on Sherwin-Williams Duration Home Interior Acrylic Latex satin sheen. This isn't listed as a dedicated K&B paint ( they no longer list a specific K&B paint) but it has the agents that inhibit the growth of mold and mildew, and it's what the manager of the Sherwin-Williams store recommended for situation. I applied two coats with 24 drying time between them. I gave the room 2 days to dry before showering and waited 4 days to test it with a long hot shower. If those spots didn't show themselves after last night's shower they never will!

I'm glad it worked out for you!! Builders paints pose all sorts of problems, some of which can cost a lot of money, or cause headaches like you experienced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back