Basing Oil Selection on UOAsl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks to everyone who responded to this thread with the intent to help. I’ll consider doing UOAs to check for the coolant leak. I had hoped someone would offer why checking for external leaks (which show up in most cases I’m aware of), looking for a coolant level drop, watching for exhaust smoke, or checking for coolant in the oil wasn’t sufficient. Or what kind of damage would likely be done if put off until the leak manifested itself in these ways. Or what the additional cost might be if put off until detected that way (the warranty issue is a good point, but doesn't apply in this particular case). Rather, it was implied that I must be stupid to question the value of UOAs and the potential severity and cost of a small, undetected coolant leak.

The original intent of this thread was to question the practice of using UOA trace metals data to select the brand and weight of oil to use. I thought that there might be scientific data to support the practice. That doesn’t appear to be the case. However, there is one important area of oil selection where the UOAs do appear to provide valuable information, and that’s in the area of synthetics.

The UOAs of synthetic oils posted here show the potential for extended drain intervals when using these oils. It’s clear that many synthetic oils last 2,3 or more times longer than dino oils. That’s specific, valuable information that’s missing from most owner’s manuals and the back of oil bottles. However, when it comes to dino oil, it seems the UOAs here simply support the commonly recommended intervals of 3 to 5 thousand miles (depending on environment and use) for essentially all the dino oils regardless of brand.

I’m not mad at anyone on this board, rather I consider it a good place to come for oil related information. I hope this thread has been useful, and perhaps it has brought to light the posting of less than factual information that occasionally does occur regardless of our efforts to be as accurate as possible.

Brian, because the leak may be to small to be detected with the more traditional means you mention. It was in my case.
If it's so small you'll probably say it doesn't matter? Maybe, maybe not, but my lead was elevated. As well as cam bearing wear a bit.
I'd also prefer to detect it before it becomes obvious. By then you will really be doing some damage.
Yes the leak may be slight but how do you know it just won't completely let go one day and spin a bearing? Is it not better to get it fixed before that point?

quote:

The original intent of this thread was to question the practice of using UOA trace metals data to select the brand and weight of oil to use. I thought that there might be scientific data to support the practice.

There is, it's just not going to be given to you or I. Just as Terry said earlier. You can't blame them, considering the cost of it all.

quote:

Brian, because the leak may be to small to be detected with the more traditional means you mention. It was in my case.
If it's so small you'll probably say it doesn't matter? Maybe, maybe not, but my lead was elevated. As well as cam bearing wear a bit.
I'd also prefer to detect it before it becomes obvious. By then you will really be doing some damage.
Yes the leak may be slight but how do you know it just won't completely let go one day and spin a bearing? Is it not better to get it fixed before that point?

Thanks for the detailed response/advice.

quote:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The original intent of this thread was to question the practice of using UOA trace metals data to select the brand and weight of oil to use. I thought that there might be scientific data to support the practice.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is, it's just not going to be given to you or I. Just as Terry said earlier. You can't blame them, considering the cost of it all.

It sounds like if there was a straightforward process to correlate the UOA results posted here with the (unavailable) data mentioned, the UOAs posted here could be much more useful. But since that data is not available, the ability to read anything scientifically significant with regard to engine wear/durability from the UOAs here may be out of our reach.

I applaud the efforts of those working to establish a data base of UOAs along with those who are trying to properly interpret the results with regard to engine wear/longevity based on their experience and the data that is available. But for the sake of the contributors and readers of this forum, let's be sure the practice of UOA analysis, as it currently exists here, is sound. Especially when used to recommend Brand X oil over Brand Y oil. I don’t have any personal stake in the lubrication industry. I'm simply looking at it from the standpoint of fairness and accuracy.

quote:

Originally posted by Brian Barnhart:

It sounds like if there was a straightforward process to correlate the UOA results posted here with the (unavailable) data mentioned, the UOAs posted here could be much more useful. But since that data is not available, the ability to read anything scientifically significant with regard to engine wear/durability from the UOAs here may be out of our reach.

I applaud the efforts of those working to establish a data base of UOAs along with those who are trying to properly interpret the results with regard to engine wear/longevity based on their experience and the data that is available. But for the sake of the contributors and readers of this forum, let's be sure the practice of UOA analysis, as it currently exists here, is sound. Especially when used to recommend Brand X oil over Brand Y oil. I don’t have any personal stake in the lubrication industry. I'm simply looking at it from the standpoint of fairness and accuracy.

I've come to the same conclusion a long time ago. It's comforting to see that critical thinking is not totally out of fashion.

Best of luck to you, Sir.

[ June 30, 2004, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: 427Z06 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back