Based on my driving do I need to leave GC behind ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
2000 Firebird Formula 62K Auto 5.7 Ls1:
Recently daily ride is 4.2 miles each way (basically straight). Last oil change I noticed the oil was darker looking than normal (5k change but I usually do 3K). Also I am getting oil past the pcv (something that never occurred before).
Since short driving like this is bad for the car, what can I do? Thought about switching to dino and changing it every 1.5 -2K ? I'll probably start adding 1/4 to 1/2 can of seafoam right before I change the oil (leave it in 50 -100 miles)

What is the best way to keep the engine in good shape with regular short distance driving?

Oil going past the PCV has nothing to do with oil habits (besides overfilling, maybe). I get a little oil (enough to dampen the hose) past mine and always have, through the original and then a rebuilt motor (same car). That's normal. How much oil are we talking about?

Doing 3k mile oil changes is babying your engine regardless of driving habits, unless it's heavily modified or there's a problem with the motor. Oil getting dark by 5k is going to happen, don't worry about it, every oil I've used gets dark by 3000km(about 2k miles).

THanks, I knew the oil through the pcv was not related to my oil. Just thought maybe the adily 4.2 mile drive each way might be involved. Either way I'm just concerned about having such a short drive and considering just using dino and changing it every 1.5K instead of GC @ 3K

Changing GC at 3k is too soon, 5k minimum in my opinion or your wasting your money. Might as well use dino oil if you are going to change oil every 3k miles.

Quote:

5K min ? Even with my daily 8.4 mile round trip?

Couldn't help but notice your name. Do you have a V70R and are you currently running GC? My 06 V70R really likes the GC.
cheers.gif

Yes, 06 V70R with GC also!
(Thread is about my 00 Firebird Formula)

V70R:

This is a poster child case for at least a one-time UOA. Based upon my use of GC, I think you're fine, but I can only speculate too. Check this UOA from my wife's Sequoia. It was a hard-core short tripper, many two miles at a time. As you can see, after 13 months of this, and 10k miles, the GC was still rock solid. I'd say run yours to 3-4k miles, suck out a sample, and get it tested. I think you'll be favorably surprised, and it should, at a minimum, raise your comfort level to where you'll at least get 5k out of a fill.
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back