'18 Forester, 4787 Miles on oil, Fram Synthetic 5W-30

Al

This is a terrible oil. It shears way down. The previous sample was the same oil. For some reason the iron is high. I do redline it a couple times per week but I do that to my '22 Forester and my previous Crosstrek.

The results are not good for just under 5K miles. I cut the change cycle short. It will be interesting to see the results at 5K miles for the Mobil 1 0W-40 that I just put in. I will just sample at 5K miles and leave it in for another 5 K Miles and sample again. Probably leave it ion for 15K miles depending on the results.

R34862-1.png

This is a terrible oil. It shears way down. The previous sample was the same oil. For some reason the iron is high. I do redline it a couple times per week but I do that to my '22 Forester and my previous Crosstrek.

The results are not good for just under 5K miles. I cut the change cycle short. It will be interesting to see the results at 5K miles for the Mobil 1 0W-40 that I just put in. I will just sample at 5K miles and leave it in for another 5 K Miles and sample again. Probably leave it ion for 15K miles depending on the results.

R34862-1.png
15K in one of these is way too much especially if you whip it. 5K is the limit if you want the engine to last.

15K in one of these is way too much especially if you whip it. 5K is the limit if you want the engine to last.
Well I red line it just putting my foot slowly to the floor and keeping it there. We are talking a couple seconds per week. It uses zero measurable oil. It has like 36K miles on it. The car is driven by my wife (driven by a little old lady) she is 77..lol

Well see how the 5K uoa looks. Its obvious the car does not like 20 wt oil. I use 40 wt in my '22 NA Forester.

So you were using Fram synthetic oil in 2020 before the 1/4/21 Blackstone test? It wasn't even introduced until spring/summer of 2021. That may explain the big difference in the two moly contents.

Last edited:
Silicon and insols. are high for the miles, so some of the wear is abrasive wear from dirt intrusion.
Need to check/change your air filter or sealing issues.

Same problem in my wife's car. Oil shears apart. I got around it by filling the oil to the bottom of the normal range on the dip stick for every oil change. Then every 1,000 miles or so I add 6 to 8 ounces of 20w-50 oil until it's at the full mark. Usually hit the full mark around 5,000 miles.
The 5w-20 oil viscosity still tests like new 5w-20 oil after almost 7,000 miles.

At first I tried filling it half way up the normal range during the oil change and adding a half quart of 10w-30 half way through the oil change, that didn't do anything. Then I tried the same thing with 15w-40 that appeared to work some but barely did anything. Then I filled it just over the low line and add about a quart, a little at a time. That was it.

Curious to see how the 40 weight pans out. I don't blame you for trying to beef it up a bit if you're seeing a spike in wear but it could've been just a blip in the scheme of things & worked itself out in short order. Hopefully that is what the next sample shows at least. The 40 should have a little more robust add pack which couldn't hurt when putting the peddle to the floor. Keep at it!

R34862-1.png
I would look for thicker 30w before I jumped to 40w. The vis dropped, but, appears enough to keep the parts separated.

Same problem in my wife's car. Oil shears apart. I got around it by filling the oil to the bottom of the normal range on the dip stick for every oil change. Then every 1,000 miles or so I add 6 to 8 ounces of 20w-50 oil until it's at the full mark. Usually hit the full mark around 5,000 miles.
The 5w-20 oil viscosity still tests like new 5w-20 oil after almost 7,000 miles.

At first I tried filling it half way up the normal range during the oil change and adding a half quart of 10w-30 half way through the oil change, that didn't do anything. Then I tried the same thing with 15w-40 that appeared to work some but barely did anything. Then I filled it just over the low line and add about a quart, a little at a time. That was it.
Huh?

You're likely just seeing some fuel dilution as the cause of the grade drop. BS doesn't test directly for it. Si seems high. Going 15K on this engine isn't something I'd do regardless of oil type. You'll likely see that the M1 0W40 will also thin out in a similar fashion due to fuel. A few data points on Fe aren't telling you much and could be in the range of normal for this engine.

You're likely just seeing some fuel dilution as the cause of the grade drop. BS doesn't test directly for it. Si seems high. Going 15K on this engine isn't something I'd do regardless of oil type. You'll likely see that the M1 0W40 will also thin out in a similar fashion due to fuel. A few data points on Fe aren't telling you much and could be in the range of normal for this engine.
Yes this. Whenever I see someone say the oil has mechanically sheared and try and substantiate that with a Blackstone analysis I immediately discount any such conclusion.

Blackstone has demonstrated issues in accurately measuring viscosity. Add to that the issues everyone has in accurately measuring flash point. Combine the two and any estimation of fuel dilution is next to useless.

There is no way that is "terrible oil", more likely it is a terrible interpretation of a flawed test.

I was gonna reply to OP post but there’s some stuff here to talk about as well.

I agree, 15k on the turbo model is likely asking for long-term issues, UNLESS the 0w40 stays in the Xw30 viscosity range AND fuel GC is
Al, I’m wondering if your elevated iron is from 2 back-to-back runs that ended as a 20 grade oil. Obviously the Mobil is thicker, but I would bite the bullet and change it at 5k again, use the UOA to see where viscosity and iron are. Then, use the M1 again, and pull a dipstick tube sample at a slightly longer interval rather than draining.

Then, if that UOA looks good extend it a little farther and repeat. 👍🏻

I'd be willing to be that you have WAY more fuel dilution than Blackstone is showing. They are notorious for woefully inaccurate fuel dilution reporting. They use the flash point method vs the way more accurate GC method. Fuel dilution is a known issue in newer Subaru GDI engines. It is so bad in my '22 Crosstrek 2.0 that I change the oil every 3,000mi and I still have 3-4% fuel dilution. I suggest you try another lab like Horizon labs that uses the GC fuel dilution testing method. I guarantee you will see significantly more fuel dilution in your sample results. That is probably why your oil is shearing out of grade.

Reactions: wlk
Yes this. Whenever I see someone say the oil has mechanically sheared and try and substantiate that with a Blackstone analysis I immediately discount any such conclusion.

Blackstone has demonstrated issues in accurately measuring viscosity. Add to that the issues everyone has in accurately measuring flash point. Combine the two and any estimation of fuel dilution is next to useless.

There is no way that is "terrible oil", more likely it is a terrible interpretation of a flawed test.
I agree 100%. That oil is full of fuel. Typical of a newer Subaru GDI engine. Have seen it in my '22 Crosstrek every sample, and I do 3000mi OCIs!

Back